The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

<< < (63/70) > >>

SimonNZ:
Is that even possible?

The story I heard was that Lucas cannibalize the original negatives in the making of the 2.0 versions, and it's no longer possible to go back.

DavidW:

--- Quote from: SimonNZ on May 22, 2022, 11:42:24 PM ---Is that even possible?

The story I heard was that Lucas cannibalize the original negatives in the making of the 2.0 versions, and it's no longer possible to go back.

--- End quote ---

Not quite the truth.  The frames that were removed from the negatives when preparing the SE were preserved and can be put back in.  All frames including the ones removed were cleaned in the 90s, but some were so bad that they had to be replaced with interpositives.  But everything is there for a full remaster and release of the original version.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: DavidW on May 23, 2022, 04:24:04 AM ---Not quite the truth.  The frames that were removed from the negatives when preparing the SE were preserved and can be put back in.  All frames including the ones removed were cleaned in the 90s, but some were so bad that they had to be replaced with interpositives.  But everything is there for a full remaster and release of the original version.

--- End quote ---

That would be nice. With the new versions, Geo. Lucas demonstrated that, as poor as e.g. his script-writing chops may be, his instincts for "second thoughts," are yet worse.

Mirror Image:
The original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy is how I remember them. I honestly thought the special editions or whatever Lucas called them were poor, especially given the fact that Lucas inserted CGI where it simply didn't belong because the technology didn't exist then. The original scripts were fine and there was no need in trying to tie up loose ends. Sometimes what isn't said or mentioned brings an era of mystique to a film.

To DavidW, that is fascinating. I hope the remastering happens, but, again, this would be giving Star Wars fans what they want and this simply isn't going to happen as long as Disney owns them.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2022, 10:50:04 AM ---The original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy is how I remember them. I honestly thought the special editions or whatever Lucas called them were poor, especially given the fact that Lucas inserted CGI where it simply didn't belong because the technology didn't exist then. The original scripts were fine and there was no need in trying to tie up loose ends. Sometimes what isn't said or mentioned brings an era of mystique to a film.

To DavidW, that is fascinating. I hope the remastering happens, but, again, this would be giving Star Wars fans what they want and this simply isn't going to happen as long as Disney owns them.

--- End quote ---

You never know, John. Disney might do the right thing by accident 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version