The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

<< < (70/70)

Jo498:

--- Quote from: Florestan on July 01, 2022, 12:49:55 AM ---Any Russian movie / TV series after Russian classics is at least very good. Ditto for any British movie / TV series after English classics, particularly Dickens.

--- End quote ---
I don't think I have ever seen a Russian movie based on a classic. I agree with British TV series of Dickens and Austen. Series do have enough time, but even the best movies for the theater often have to be condensed so much one can barely recognize the book.

Anyway, a LOT is more rewarding than Star Trek or Star Wars even for teenagers...

DavidW:

--- Quote from: Florestan on July 01, 2022, 12:43:53 AM ---Carmen by Francesco Rosi, although I was 13 not 11. I saw it twice by myself and the third time I urged my mom and dad to join me, which they gladly did. A little later, Jesus of Nazareth by Franco Zefirelli. These are the only movies that really blew me away in my teens.

--- End quote ---

When I was 11 the movie that had the most impact on me will cause many posters to roll their eyes.  It was Dances with Wolves.  But the movie I had seen most that year was Awakenings because my Mother just loved it!

DavidW:
I myself don't care for the BBC adaptations of any of Dicken's novels.  They lack the wit and charm of the source material.  They strip it out to only focus on the dramatic elements.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: DavidW on July 01, 2022, 05:00:07 AM ---When I was 11 the movie that had the most impact on me will cause many posters to roll their eyes.  It was Dances with Wolves.  But the movie I had seen most that year was Awakenings because my Mother just loved it!

--- End quote ---

I really enjoy Dances With Wolves, FWIW.

LKB:

--- Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 01, 2022, 05:14:32 AM ---I really enjoy Dances With Wolves, FWIW.

--- End quote ---

Ditto. My favorite John Barry score, impressive cinematography, good writing and performances, and solid directing from some rookie whose name escapes me.  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version