The Back Room > The Diner

Star Trek vs. Star Wars: The Poll to End All Polls

<< < (2/48) > >>

Grazioso:

--- Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 04:34:51 AM ---As far as the movies go I love Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country; I like The Search for Spock; I'm merely okay with The Motion Picture; and I don't care for the next gens movie or The Undiscovered Country. (edit: lol what?  I obviously meant the fifth one whatever it's called where they are looking for god in all of the wrong places)

--- End quote ---

You're thinking of Star Trek V: The Waste of Time  :D Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was one of the better ones, but you know the rule: odd ones bad, even ones good.

DavidW:
I will agree with you on DS9, which is why I rank it better than Voyager or Enterprise... but all three shows demonstrate increasing willingness to throw the principles of trek under the bus for a militant pov.

For instance, in TNG Picard decided against reprogramming a captured borg with a virus meant to wipe out the borg (one of the greatest threats to the federation) because it's the morally wrong thing to do.  Janeway actively plotted plans of revolt and genocide for the borg.

Star Trek is about exploring the universe, meeting new races, finding peaceful solutions, and learning to co-exist with people that do not share your culture.  And this attitude is best demonstrated NOT by the diverse casting but by the actions and thoughts of Kirk and Picard.  And it is something that the newer shows don't get behind.  They changed the tone for the worst.  Enterprise demonstrates blind racism between humans and Vulcans; nearly every first contact in Voyager becomes militant, and Janeway always responds with force; DS9 is about breaking the bonds of fellowship to choose sides in a huge war.  None of the themes and actions in the last three shows are very trek. 

Szykneij:
I like them both, but it's apples and oranges when comparing them. If I'm forced to choose, I'll go with Star Trek, because Star Trek had ...

... Tribbles!

Sergeant Rock:

--- Quote from: DavidW on September 18, 2011, 05:07:04 AM ---Star Trek is about exploring the universe, meeting new races, finding peaceful solutions, and learning to co-exist with people that do not share your culture.
--- End quote ---

And since these cultures almost never wanted to co-exist, Kirk would have to beat the crap out of a few aliens in order to make them see the rightness of the Federation's way of doing things. Most shows in the original series ending with a fistfight  :D Nearly every episode violated the Prime Directive.

Sarge

Szykneij:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2011, 05:22:29 AM --- :D Nearly every episode violated the Prime Directive.

Sarge

--- End quote ---

Except the ones with Tribbles.   >:D    ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version