Which do you like more?

Star Trek
Star Wars
I like them both equally
I hate them both equally
Grow up, you nerds
Dancing with the Stars

71 dB

I find it really interesting to watch "millenials" watch Star Wars for the first time on Youtube reaction videos. For someone who was born in 2000, the Original Trilogy is a bunch of REALLY old movies*, but most of the time scepticism is transferred into excitement.  0:)

* I don't get very excited about movies made 20 years before I was born. That's why it is cool to see someone born in 2000 can get really excited of movie made in the 70's.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

I am not a cineast but I like quite a few movies from the 1930s-50s, i.e. made ~20-40 years before was born. There is always stuff that ages badly* and in fact that was pretty much my impression for at least some of the original trilogy when I first saw it in the 1990s ca. 12-15 years after its creation, and stuff that becomes a "classic".

*In general, I believe TV series/movies were much worse in former times and tend to age badly. There were a few 70s series I had seen for the first time in the late 80s or early 90s, i.e. in my teens or early 20s and really like but I sometimes couldn't get through the first episode when I tried to watch them again 15 years later around 2005 or so.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

LKB

Quote from: VonStupp on May 15, 2022, 10:06:14 AM
I'm a bit late to this party, but I always found a few nights of Star Wars excellent entertainment and Star Trek something I prefer to live with long term. Perhaps it is unfair since ST exists across film and extended TV universes and I only know SW through its movie iterations.

I still have the Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan soundtrack on LP!   ???

VS

James Horner only wrote a few film scores which are truly memorable, and TWOK certainly qualifies.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

relm1

Quote from: 71 dB on May 15, 2022, 11:00:50 AM
I find it really interesting to watch "millenials" watch Star Wars for the first time on Youtube reaction videos. For someone who was born in 2000, the Original Trilogy is a bunch of REALLY old movies*, but most of the time scepticism is transferred into excitement.  0:)

* I don't get very excited about movies made 20 years before I was born. That's why it is cool to see someone born in 2000 can get really excited of movie made in the 70's.

I think Star Wars transcends generations because it's a family experience.  My nieces and nephews are all born after 2003 so don't even know the sequel trilogy through firsthand experiences but from those of us who grew up with those movies loving the cinematic experience that they got to take part of with the sequel trilogy and spin offs.  Those films usually came out at Christmas when family was together and audience was very enthusiastic so it became a fun experience because of all the fans they experienced it with.  I'm sure they're seeing the original trilogy through modern eyes though, but they enjoyed getting in to the excitement and hooplaw. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 15, 2022, 07:50:30 PM
James Horner only wrote a few film scores which are truly memorable, and TWOK certainly qualifies.

Agreed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on May 15, 2022, 07:50:30 PM

It is a favorite of mine. I occasionally hum the Klingon musical cue when my mother-in-law visits.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on May 17, 2022, 01:09:44 PM
It is a favorite of mine. I occasionally hum the Klingon musical cue when my mother-in-law visits.

VS

Could be worse: you might hum a cue from Horner's score to Alien....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2022, 01:36:38 PM
Could be worse: you might hum a cue from Horner's score to Alien....

I haven't checked but I think Goldsmith did Alien, and Horner did Aliens.

LKB

Quote from: VonStupp on May 17, 2022, 01:09:44 PM

VS

No Klingon motives in TWOK. Are you possibly thinking of TMP?

VonStupp

Quote from: LKB on May 17, 2022, 01:43:51 PM
No Klingon motives in TWOK. Are you possibly thinking of TMP?

Probably. That theme gets reused in other movies, so I may be thinking of Klingon Christopher Lloyd.  :D
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 17, 2022, 01:41:19 PM
I haven't checked but I think Goldsmith did Alien, and Horner did Aliens.

Thanks! Even as I posted, I doubted that I had the two rightly sorted.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Bumping for the Fathom event this weekend. The director's cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is in theatres ( for the first time ) for three days.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 20, 2022, 04:51:50 PM
Bumping for the Fathom event this weekend. The director's cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is in theatres ( for the first time ) for three days.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut

Interesting!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Karl Henning

Tangentially: Ouch!!

Quote from: Gary Arnold"Shatner has perhaps the least impressive movie physique since Rod Steiger, and his acting style has begun to recall the worst of Richard Burton.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

It is probably just as well. Shatner had classic, leading-man good looks in his prime. If he had also had a model physique along with the reportedly not-small ego, someone might have ended his trekking prematurely...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 20, 2022, 05:50:07 PM
It is probably just as well. Shatner had classic, leading-man good looks in his prime. If he had also had a model physique along with the reportedly not-small ego, someone might have ended his trekking prematurely...

(* chortle *)

What a treat to see him in The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Yup, and he was in at least two episodes of the nearly-forgotten Thriller as well, both of which are worth seeing.

Jo498

Trivia: Today I find a big Star Trek article in my local newspaper because it came to German TV 50 years ago (May 27th 1972) as "Raumschiff [spaceship] Enterprise" and apparently was an instant success (I am a bit too young, I was just an infant and only very dimly recall glimpses from later broadcasts of the series in the late 1970s, my Star Trek experience was mostly dominated by the later "next generation" series.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal