Star Trek
Star Wars
I like them both equally
I hate them both equally
Grow up, you nerds
Dancing with the Stars

LKB

Quote from: Jo498 on May 20, 2022, 11:25:38 PM
Trivia: Today I find a big Star Trek article in my local newspaper because it came to German TV 50 years ago (May 27th 1972) as "Raumschiff [spaceship] Enterprise" and apparently was an instant success (I am a bit too young, I was just an infant and only very dimly recall glimpses from later broadcasts of the series in the late 1970s, my Star Trek experience was mostly dominated by the later "next generation" series.)

Nothing wrong with that as TNG was, in many ways, an upgrade over TOS ( most of the time ). Many Trekkers, including me, still consider it the best Trek overall.

But TOS fans are possibly the most stubborn fans alive. One friend of mine won't watch anything else in Trek. I even bought TNG on blu-ray for him, the entire series, and he won't look at it...  ::)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2022, 05:14:39 PM
Furthermore, I'll go!

I might go too.  I've turned my grades in and besides some end of year meetings and ceremonies I finally have free time.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 21, 2022, 06:17:24 AM
I might go too.  I've turned my grades in and besides some end of year meetings and ceremonies I finally have free time.

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

Star Trek TMP is in theaters for three days and features a new remaster of the print, updated visuals, and a new mix of the score by the original score mixer, Bruce Botnick, now in Dolby Atmos if you find a suitable theater.  The director's cut was done in 2003 I believe, a year before Robert Wise died where he added a few scenes that were originally cut, helping to make the film even more cerebral.  I think the score is absolutely fantastic so if you've not had a chance to experience it in a big theater, now is your chance for a few days only. 

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on May 22, 2022, 05:41:11 AM
Star Trek TMP is in theaters for three days and features a new remaster of the print, updated visuals, and a new mix of the score by the original score mixer, Bruce Botnick, now in Dolby Atmos if you find a suitable theater.  The director's cut was done in 2003 I believe, a year before Robert Wise died where he added a few scenes that were originally cut, helping to make the film even more cerebral.  I think the score is absolutely fantastic so if you've not had a chance to experience it in a big theater, now is your chance for a few days only.

A few of us are attending, I'll see it tomorrow.

Find your theater and get tickets here:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on May 22, 2022, 07:54:43 AM
A few of us are attending, I'll see it tomorrow.

Find your theater and get tickets here:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Star-Trek-TMP-Directors-Cut

Going to the 7PM showing on Tremont St in Boston this evening.

My first cinema-going since that special 2001: A Space Odyssey release a few years back.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I watched it!  It was really good to see that movie on the big screen.  The visuals really call for it, and never thought I would be able to watch it in the theater. :)

relm1

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 22, 2022, 08:12:23 AM
Going to the 7PM showing on Tremont St in Boston this evening.

My first cinema-going since that special 2001: A Space Odyssey release a few years back.

Wow!  I saw 2001 a few years back in theaters as well.  Do please report back. 

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on May 22, 2022, 04:47:44 PM
Wow!  I saw 2001 a few years back in theaters as well.  Do please report back. 

Quote from: DavidW on May 22, 2022, 04:17:56 PM
I watched it!  It was really good to see that movie on the big screen.  The visuals really call for it, and never thought I would be able to watch it in the theater. :)

Yes! I found it a really good time!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

When the original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy are actually released (and remastered), I'll be forever indebted to Disney for making it happen. Since it'll never happen, I'll continue to give them the middle figure for their utter and complete failure to actually do something worthwhile with this franchise.

SimonNZ

Is that even possible?

The story I heard was that Lucas cannibalize the original negatives in the making of the 2.0 versions, and it's no longer possible to go back.

DavidW

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 23, 2022, 12:42:24 AM
Is that even possible?

The story I heard was that Lucas cannibalize the original negatives in the making of the 2.0 versions, and it's no longer possible to go back.

Not quite the truth.  The frames that were removed from the negatives when preparing the SE were preserved and can be put back in.  All frames including the ones removed were cleaned in the 90s, but some were so bad that they had to be replaced with interpositives.  But everything is there for a full remaster and release of the original version.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 23, 2022, 05:24:04 AM
Not quite the truth.  The frames that were removed from the negatives when preparing the SE were preserved and can be put back in.  All frames including the ones removed were cleaned in the 90s, but some were so bad that they had to be replaced with interpositives.  But everything is there for a full remaster and release of the original version.

That would be nice. With the new versions, Geo. Lucas demonstrated that, as poor as e.g. his script-writing chops may be, his instincts for "second thoughts," are yet worse.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

The original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy is how I remember them. I honestly thought the special editions or whatever Lucas called them were poor, especially given the fact that Lucas inserted CGI where it simply didn't belong because the technology didn't exist then. The original scripts were fine and there was no need in trying to tie up loose ends. Sometimes what isn't said or mentioned brings an era of mystique to a film.

To DavidW, that is fascinating. I hope the remastering happens, but, again, this would be giving Star Wars fans what they want and this simply isn't going to happen as long as Disney owns them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2022, 11:50:04 AM
The original theatrical versions of the first Star Wars trilogy is how I remember them. I honestly thought the special editions or whatever Lucas called them were poor, especially given the fact that Lucas inserted CGI where it simply didn't belong because the technology didn't exist then. The original scripts were fine and there was no need in trying to tie up loose ends. Sometimes what isn't said or mentioned brings an era of mystique to a film.

To DavidW, that is fascinating. I hope the remastering happens, but, again, this would be giving Star Wars fans what they want and this simply isn't going to happen as long as Disney owns them.

You never know, John. Disney might do the right thing by accident 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

I'm enjoying the positive reviews of the Fathom event, really glad those who've taken the time have felt it worthwhile.  8)

My own viewing isn't for several hours yet, but l suspect I'll be pumped. Hopefully I'll wind up seated near someone who either never saw the film,  or at least hasn't seen it on the big screen.

Bring on Mark Lenard and the K'tingas, I'm ready.  >:D

Biffo

The poll has an 'hate both equally' option but no 'indifferent to both' so I haven't voted.

LKB

Jo498

Quote from: Biffo on May 24, 2022, 12:59:36 AM
The poll has an 'hate both equally' option but no 'indifferent to both' so I haven't voted.
I took the 5th option as close enough to this stance, so that was my choice.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on May 28, 2022, 05:29:17 AM
I took the 5th option as close enough to this stance, so that was my choice.

What movie blew you completely away when you were 11? For me it was Star Wars. What else could it have been?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"