Do You Wear Disposable Contact Lenses?

Started by George, September 19, 2011, 04:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I just found out today that they no longer make daily wear contact lenses for both of my eyes, so I am going to give disposables a try. I bought a box of the monthy ones and I hope that they last longer than a month. My eyes produce very little protein, so I was able to wear daily wear lenses (that typically last a year or so for most people) for 2-3 years.

I paid $140 for a 6 month supply and I am pretty upset, since I used to pay around $225 every 2-3 years!

What have folks experience been with disposable contact lenses?

An eye doctor told me recently (off the record) that he believes that the disposable lenses are the same ones that I have been buying and using for 2-3 years.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

My first experience was awful, my second great.

First was with acuvue oasys (astigmatism) and they irritated my eyes to heck, it was my first time with contacts and I just was not assertive about trying different ones.  Also the solutions made the problem worse.

My second round I spent over a month trying different contacts and solutions until I found Air Optix lenses and Clear Care solution.  Now I can wear the lenses from early morning to bed time without discomfort.  They are monthlies and I set up google calendar to tell me when to change them.

Toric lenses are expensive, but what are you going to do?

Brahmsian

I rarely wear contact lenses, so that is why I get the 'daily' ones.  No matter what, I have always never felt comfortable wearing contact lenses.  I can always 'feel' them.

So I wear my eyeglasses 99% of the time.

DavidW

Ray I notice that 99% is same you gave for listening to cm... can't help but wonder if those rare times you listen to pop music you're also wearing contacts? :D

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on September 19, 2011, 06:25:16 PM
Ray I notice that 99% is same you gave for listening to cm... can't help but wonder if those rare times you listen to pop music you're also wearing contacts? :D

;D :D ;D

Perhaps that is what is causing the irritation!   8)

Mirror Image

Q: Do You Wear Disposable Contact Lenses?

A: Only when I can see.

Bulldog

I've been wearing disposables for about 25 years, and they always feel fine until they start losing their proper shape.  I keep them in for around 16 hours a day, clean them in a nice no-rub solution and do it over again the next day.  I'm lucky when it comes to contact lenses.

bhodges

I've also been wearing disposable lenses (B&L Accuvue 2) for about 25 years, and love them. Can't even feel them when they're in; it's like there's nothing in my eye. And I can see clearer - much better than with glasses - and with a wider field of vision. They're more expensive than glasses, but for me, definitely worth it.

--Bruce

George

Quote from: Brewski on September 20, 2011, 07:44:06 AM
I've also been wearing disposable lenses (B&L Accuvue 2) for about 25 years, and love them. Can't even feel them when they're in; it's like there's nothing in my eye. And I can see clearer - much better than with glasses - and with a wider field of vision. They're more expensive than glasses, but for me, definitely worth it.

--Bruce

Do you stretch them (wear them longer than they are rated at)?

bhodges

Generally no. They are designed to last about 2 weeks, and sometimes I get maybe 3 weeks' wear, but usually you can tell since they start feeling mildly irritable. So I try to just replace them regularly; my eyes just feel better.

--Bruce

George

Quote from: Brewski on September 20, 2011, 07:59:58 AM
Generally no. They are designed to last about 2 weeks, and sometimes I get maybe 3 weeks' wear, but usually you can tell since they start feeling mildly irritable. So I try to just replace them regularly; my eyes just feel better.

--Bruce

OK, thanks.

Any reason you use the 2 wk and not the monthly?

bhodges

Quote from: George on September 20, 2011, 08:37:37 AM
OK, thanks.

Any reason you use the 2 wk and not the monthly?

IIRC my eye doctor said awhile back that he thought ones that are replaced more often are slightly healthier for the eyes.  ???  PS, I also tried a pair of Oasys lenses (also B&L) and they felt terrific, but they are also a bit slippery - and at least for me, therefore slightly more difficult to remove - so I am sticking with the Accuvue's for now.

--Bruce

George