Mozart Symphonies

Started by Mandryka, September 26, 2011, 09:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on April 15, 2021, 01:23:34 PM
During the 2020 lockdown I've listened to this whole set:

and it's been essential for keeping my sanity during those dire times.

I own the Boehm, Marriner and Mackerras sets too (which I've listened to only very partially and liked what I've heard), and have the Tate and Hogwood on seek-and-capture mode.

I do have the Boehm also and the two following sets by Pinnock:

aligreto

Quote from: George on April 15, 2021, 01:31:52 PM
I have the later Mackerras on Linn SACD, it is quite good. Dynamic, dramatic reading, though for me, Szell still holds the crown for this symphony for me.

I have not heard the later Mackerras on Linn but I do understand that it is also very good. Neither have I heard the Szell version of Symphony no. 40.

aligreto

Quote from: j winter on April 15, 2021, 06:14:26 PM
Nice to see Tate's Mozart set get some love, I've always liked it -- graceful and elegant is a good way to describe it.  Last year I picked up the Uchida/Tate piano concertos to go with it; I think I'm probably the only person in the world to have bought that PC set primarily for the conductor rather than the pianist...  :-\

Yes I originally bought the Tate set blind and I loved it from the moment that I did so.

aligreto

Mozart Symphony No. 40 [Steinberg]

Steinberg, to my ear, gives this music the Romantic feel treatment as opposed to the Classical feel treatment, if you know what I mean. Speeds are notably slower than the above that I have recently listed. The word ponderous would be a bit harsh so let us say that I feel it is just a bit laboured. The music is certainly breathing and all of the lines are clearly heard and well played. It is just the tempo that I have a bit of an issue with. The slow movement is a lethargic snooze fest and one dances to the Minuet with Wellington boots on! The most successful movement, to my ear, is overwhelmingly the final movement. Steinberg lets rip here, relatively speaking, and this is most likely what I was expecting when I originally bought this version.

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 12 [Hogwood]

I particularly like Symphony No. 12 of Mozart's early symphonies. This version is taken suitably briskly which portrays the youthful energy and excitement inherently running through the music, particularly in the outer movements. It is still elegant and graceful in the slow movement and the Minuet, however.

George

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2021, 05:32:38 AM
Mozart: Symphony No. 12 [Hogwood]

I particularly like Symphony No. 12 of Mozart's early symphonies. This version is taken suitably briskly which portrays the youthful energy and excitement inherently running through the music, particularly in the outer movements. It is still elegant and graceful in the slow movement and the Minuet, however.

Thanks for the reminder, as I neglect these earlier symphonies. #12 on mine is well played as well, though slightly slower than yours. Sound on these Naxos Mozart Symphonies cond by Ward is excellent, a nice way to pick up the first 20 symphonies in great sound for a great price.

For 21-41 I have and very much enjoy the Decca Krips set, recommended by our very own Jens Laurson. For alternatives in the later symphnonies, I supplement the Krips set with various recordings by Szell, Walter, Mackerras, Reiner and Fricsay.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on April 17, 2021, 08:10:48 AM

Thanks for the reminder, as I neglect these earlier symphonies. #12 on mine is well played as well, though slightly slower than yours. Sound on these Naxos Mozart Symphonies cond by Ward is excellent, a nice way to pick up the first 20 symphonies in great sound for a great price.

For 21-41 I have and very much enjoy the Decca Krips set, recommended by our very own Jens Laurson. For alternatives in the later symphnonies, I supplement the Krips set with various recordings by Szell, Walter, Mackerras, Reiner and Fricsay.

Actually, George, I think that Ward does very well with the early Mozart symphonies. I agree with your comment on collecting those early symphonies presented by Ward.

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 29 [Hogwood]

This symphony is another favourite of mine particularly the opening movement. It gets a fine, robust presentation here with plenty of nervous energy abounding. One can feel it in those higher register strings accompanied by that underlying lower register string counterpoint. The slow movement is very elegant and poised, as is the third movement Minuet. The final movement returns to the tone and character of the opening movement. The tension of the nervous excitement is wonderful.

SonicMan46

Well, has been a couple+ years since this thread was active - now listening to Pinnock in the later symphonies - my current collection shown below - just listened to a couple of Hurwitz YouTube videos on Wolfie symphony boxes and on the late symphony sets - he feel's Pinnock is the better PI offering vs. Hogwood (thinks now 'dated') - he contradicts himself on the Mackerras Prague box, i.e. one of the best in one video and the 'dumps' in another (what!). And he strongly recommends Mackerras w/ the Scottish group in the late works.

Now, I've not listened to Hogwood in a while but these are now 40+ years old and were at the start of the PI 'renaissance' - are they dated or worth their 'weight in gold'? And feelings on the Mackerras Prague box - otherwise and most importantly, any newer and/or remastered performances worth considering?  And what are your top 2-3 Wolfie symphony sets at the moment -  ;D   Dave

George

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 29, 2023, 10:46:10 AM 

In sound and performance, these sets are second to none. Highly recommended!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on May 29, 2023, 11:49:38 AMIn sound and performance, these sets are second to none. Highly recommended!

Thanks George - doing a re-listening at the moment and greatly enjoying - will be keepers for me!  8)  Dave

DavidW

Dave, I think I disagree with Hurwitz.  While I think that Pinnock is good, I also think that it is closer to traditional and delivers fairly conservative performances even using period instruments.  Hogwood really went for it, and as a result his recordings have aged better and provide more contrast as compared to your MI recordings.  I would still choose newer PI recordings.  And don't get me wrong, the Pinnock is quite good... but yeah if I had to choose it would be Hogwood.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on June 01, 2023, 06:11:40 AMDave, I think I disagree with Hurwitz.  While I think that Pinnock is good, I also think that it is closer to traditional and delivers fairly conservative performances even using period instruments.  Hogwood really went for it, and as a result his recordings have aged better and provide more contrast as compared to your MI recordings.  I would still choose newer PI recordings.  And don't get me wrong, the Pinnock is quite good... but yeah if I had to choose it would be Hogwood.

Thanks David - I did listen to several Hogwood discs yesterday and despite their older vintage (vs. Pinnock) was still pleased w/ the performances - SO, I'll just stay 'pat' for the moment.  Dave :)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: George on May 29, 2023, 11:49:38 AMIn sound and performance, these sets are second to none. Highly recommended!

Strange how reactions vary. I know this set is loved by many, but despite eagerly anticipating it, I found it disappointing. I was thinking of revisiting it, but found my discs had rotted and would not play.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

These are very good imho.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

VonStupp

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 29, 2023, 10:46:10 AMAnd what are your top 2-3 Wolfie symphony sets at the moment -  ;D  Dave

A few of Böhm's Mozart symphonies are too ponderous, but for the most part, this is my favorite set, if nothing else than to hear the Berlin PO from that era. The blu-ray helps a lot too.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."