Mozart Symphonies

Started by Mandryka, September 26, 2011, 09:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: trung224 on November 07, 2012, 02:36:08 PM
Base on recommendation by Scarpia, I try Harnoncourt's effort with RCO.
[asin]B000000SGV[/asin]
   I really enjoy this performance. Tempo is fast but very energetic with well-judged detail. And the best thing is the sound from  RCO, beautiful but very intense, unlike the gutsy sound of some HIP orchestra Harnoncourt works with. This performance definitely joined with Fricsay's, Klemperer's,  and Scherchen's as my favorite performances :)

Glad you enjoyed it.  That series of recordings utterly changed my view of Mozart.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roberto

Quote from: George on July 08, 2013, 12:49:46 PM
They are one of the best, IMO.
I agree.  But sometimes they should use better sources and playing.

SonicMan46

TTT!  Mozart's Symphonies - this thread has been dormant for 7 years!  ???  I'm currently going through my Wolfie collection wanting to 'cull out' some numerous duplications to clear up space.  Over the years, I've accumulated the recordings/boxes below, i.e. all in the top row & Hogwood + Pinnock in the bottom row - like them all, although not sure that I need the Mackerras duplications of the late Symphonies, although the orchestras/performances are different.

BUT, main reason for posting was after perusing Amazon USA for any newer releases - the one found is at bottom right, i.e. Jaap Ter Linden who founded the 'Mozart Akademie Amsterdam' in 2000; the recordings were made on period instruments in 2001-2002 - these performances are available on Spotify, so may be a listen later - also, attached are 3 reviews w/ laudatory comments.  So, just wondering if anyone has heard this relatively 'new' set of Wolfie Symphonies?  Dave :)

j winter

Reading through this thread, I feel obliged to disagree with my nine-years-younger self on Tate.  I still wouldn't consider it my favorite set, but I've listened to it much more in the intervening years, and either I've mellowed or I've come to appreciate it.  I would definitely recommend it if you're specifically looking for performances of the early "juvenile" symphonies -- he can't really compete with the many classic Jupiters, etc. mentioned throughout the thread...

Quote from: jwinter on September 28, 2011, 06:01:50 AM
Pee-yoo, get some soap, will ya?   ;D

This was the first Mozart set I bought, and for a while I was quite fond of it; but I've since found many more that I prefer, and frankly I seldom come back to it.  I can't point to anything really wrong with Tate, per se; I just think he takes things a bit too straight for me.  It's all a bit four-square and even-tempered, almost too classical if that makes any sense; he doesn't capture the beauty of this music the way Bohm does, for example.  I tend to prefer conductors that let the music breathe (read: play it too slow like an old fart  ;D ), or conversely give it a lively spring to it's step; the middle approach doesn't appeal to me much, but YMMV of course...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

j winter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 15, 2020, 11:53:45 AM
TTT!  Mozart's Symphonies - this thread has been dormant for 7 years!  ???  I'm currently going through my Wolfie collection wanting to 'cull out' some numerous duplications to clear up space.  Over the years, I've accumulated the recordings/boxes below, i.e. all in the top row & Hogwood + Pinnock in the bottom row - like them all, although not sure that I need the Mackerras duplications of the late Symphonies, although the orchestras/performances are different.

BUT, main reason for posting was after perusing Amazon USA for any newer releases - the one found is at bottom right, i.e. Jaap Ter Linden who founded the 'Mozart Akademie Amsterdam' in 2000; the recordings were made on period instruments in 2001-2002 - these performances are available on Spotify, so may be a listen later - also, attached are 3 reviews w/ laudatory comments.  So, just wondering if anyone has heard this relatively 'new' set of Wolfie Symphonies?  Dave :)

The Jaap Ter Linden is also included in the big red Brilliant box.  I haven't heard it in a bit, but I remember being quite pleased with it -- very much worth a listen...

SonicMan46

Thanks j winter for your comments - believe that I had a few discs of Jeffrey Tate a while ago but likely culled out - just checked and his symphony 'box set' has excellent comments on Amazon USA - but I need to listen to Jaap Ter Linden on Spotify soon!  Dave :)

vers la flamme

How important is it to hear the complete Mozart symphonies? I am sure I've heard less than half of them.

SonicMan46

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 15, 2020, 01:47:14 PM
How important is it to hear the complete Mozart symphonies? I am sure I've heard less than half of them.

Well, a good question, but 'importance' like 'beauty' is in the eye or mind of the beholder -  ;)  Take a look at this LIST (and keep in mind that 40+ is just an approximation of the number of Wolfie's Symphonies - some are doubtful and others not listed w/ K numbers) - notice that most of these K works were written before Mozart was 20 y/o - the last 10 or so after that age - SO, if you want to concentrate on his more 'mature' works, then just listen to the last dozen or so - BUT, I must say having gone through a lot of 'complete' recordings, the earlier works are quite enjoyable - even as a teenager, he could write an excellent symphony that surpasses some of the lower tiered composers of his time.  At the moment, I'm listening to his 'juvenile' works done by Jaap Ter Linden on Spotify (below AirPlayed to my Apple TV - on the den speakers) - worth hearing at least once.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: j winter on April 15, 2020, 12:07:38 PM
The Jaap Ter Linden is also included in the big red Brilliant box.  I haven't heard it in a bit, but I remember being quite pleased with it -- very much worth a listen...

I should tarry with that set a while.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Excellent Prague Symphony:

Florestan

I'm in the process of listening to them all in this set:

Currently I've listened to the first 4 discs (out of 11) and never encountered a dull one, even the very first is actually quite grabbing. If you can put aside any preconceived notions about what a symphony is (and I concede that for post-Beethovenian and post-Mahlerian listeners the exercise might be difficult) and just wallow in the bittersweet soundworld so typical of Mozart even in his early years then hours of pleasure awaits you.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Biffo

Not very important at all. All the great ones are included in No 25 onwards. The early ones are pleasant listening and get them if you are curious. I have the Jaap Ter Linden set (symphonies only) and enjoyed hearing it but haven't returned to the early ones very often (if at all). I re-listened to a couple when someone in another forum flew into a rage when I made a similar suggestion; it didn't change my opinion.

MusicTurner

Conductors like Harnoncourt give more life to the early symphonies. Generally I prefer more weighty Mozart than HIP, but I like him (he also did Beethovenesque big Mozart with Concertgebouw, very good, cf posts above). On the other hand, Linden is too light for me, but I'll be giving say the Haffner, maybe suitable for his style, a listen now ...

Biffo

Quote from: MusicTurner on April 16, 2020, 12:54:46 AM
Conductors like Harnoncourt give more life to the early symphonies. Generally I prefer more weighty Mozart than HIP, but I like him (he also did Beethovenesque big Mozart with Concertgebouw, very good, cf posts above). On the other hand, Linden is too light for me, but I'll be giving say the Haffner, maybe suitable for his style, a listen now ...

I greatly prefer a chamber orchestra (not necessarily period instruments) in the symphonies and always have done. I do have some recordings with a full orchestra, including the Sony set of Szell's complete Mozart symphony recordings.

I have a great memory of hearing Rafael Kubelik conduct the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in all its glory in No 41 - an overwhelming experience but not very HIP.

MusicTurner

Heard the Linden 'Haffner', but in relation to my own taste, everything was 'wrong'. Including phrasing and accents, orchestral picture and sounds, tempi, lyricism and/or impressiveness, etc. But: taste varies ...

Some classics for me in this work would be Karajan/EMI (!), Harnoncourt/CtGeb, Walter/ColSO, Celibidache/DG. Listening for example to the finale compared to Linden will give results that are very different from his version.

aligreto

Today I listened to three versions of Mozart's Symphony No. 40. Each one was by a favoured Mozart interpreter of mine. I cross post from the Listening Thread simply to hopefully bump this thread.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Mackerras]

The Mackerras version is also a robust version and the Prague Chamber has a wonderful voice. The presentation is very full sounding throughout. With the exception of the slow movement Mackerras takes the tempo quite quickly but not aggressively so. I like the somewhat warm sound of this one.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Hogwood]

Brisk, but not too fast, in tempo and light of touch but still sounding very full. It is strong and powerful but not overly assertive and is always elegant and full of charm, poise and refinement throughout.

Florestan

During the 2020 lockdown I've listened to this whole set:

and it's been essential for keeping my sanity during those dire times.

I own the Boehm, Marriner and Mackerras sets too (which I've listened to only very partially and liked what I've heard), and have the Tate and Hogwood on seek-and-capture mode.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

George

Quote from: aligreto on April 15, 2021, 01:15:33 PM
Today I listened to three versions of Mozart's Symphony No. 40. Each one was by a favoured Mozart interpreter of mine. I cross post from the Listening Thread simply to hopefully bump this thread.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Tate]

This version is terrifically full blooded with wonderful woodwinds. It is, however, powerful without being aggressive. It has a great presence. It is also graceful and elegant.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Mackerras]

The Mackerras version is also a robust version and the Prague Chamber has a wonderful voice. The presentation is very full sounding throughout. With the exception of the slow movement Mackerras takes the tempo quite quickly but not aggressively so. I like the somewhat warm sound of this one.

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Hogwood]

Brisk, but not too fast, in tempo and light of touch but still sounding very full. It is strong and powerful but not overly assertive and is always elegant and full of charm, poise and refinement throughout.

I have the later Mackerras on Linn SACD, it is quite good. Dynamic, dramatic reading, though for me, Szell still holds the crown for this symphony for me.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

j winter

Nice to see Tate's Mozart set get some love, I've always liked it -- graceful and elegant is a good way to describe it.  Last year I picked up the Uchida/Tate piano concertos to go with it; I think I'm probably the only person in the world to have bought that PC set primarily for the conductor rather than the pianist...  :-\