Handel
Elgar
Vaughan Williams
Holst
Britten
Other

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Velimir on December 17, 2010, 10:22:19 AM
It's funny that this poll almost entirely leaves out the Golden Age of English Musick (16th-17th centuries). Where are Tallis, Byrd, Gibbons, Dowland etc.? There was actually a period when English music was foremost in Europe. That was it.

Adding them to the poll wouldn't have changed the results much, if at all. Those composers would have received 1 or 2 votes each, at most.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2010, 11:25:14 AM
Adding them to the poll wouldn't have changed the results much, if at all.

You're right...I voted for VW myself  :)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2010, 11:25:14 AM
Adding them to the poll wouldn't have changed the results much, if at all. Those composers would have received 1 or 2 votes each, at most.

Sarge

That's so true.

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Holst is absolutely my favourite British composer, his music is so thrilling and expressive!! Then, a little step backward, Elgar and Vaughan-Williams  :)

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Vaughan Williams, Rubbra, Britten, and Rawsthorne are the reasons I continue to listen to British music. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Muzition

I voted "Other" because my favourite British composer is someone not on the list.

Sandra

Just when I thought it was sooo hard to choose between Elgar and Vaughn Williams, I noticed Britten's name was there too! Some choices are terribly hard to make!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say... Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!" - J. Sibelius

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sandra on October 05, 2011, 01:22:16 AM
Just when I thought it was sooo hard to choose between Elgar and Vaughn Williams, I noticed Britten's name was there too! Some choices are terribly hard to make!

Yeah, and to think there are still some brilliant composers left off this list, it could have been a tougher choice.  :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 02, 2011, 11:36:46 AM
Gustav Holst is absolutely my favourite British composer, his music is so thrilling and expressive!! Then, a little step backward, Elgar and Vaughan-Williams  :)

Ilaria

Gustav Holst is a good composer but he's hardly a favorite of mine. How is RVW going backwards?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2011, 06:58:10 AM
Gustav Holst is a good composer but he's hardly a favorite of mine. How is RVW going backwards?

Well, I really like Vaughan-Williams, especially his symphonies and both the Piano and the Oboe Concerto, but I personally prefer Holst, his music is so expressive and harmonic!
By the way, Holst was a very close friend of Vaughan-Williams.

I suppose you prefer RVW, he's one of your favourite composer.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 07, 2011, 07:15:32 AM
Well, I really like Vaughan-Williams, especially his symphonies and both the Piano and the Oboe Concerto, but I personally prefer Holst, his music is so expressive and harmonic!
By the way, Holst was a very close friend of Vaughan-Williams.

I suppose you prefer RVW, he's one of your favourite composer.....

RVW and Holst were so close that they often shared music with each other and even gave criticism of each other's work. Yes, RVW is one of my favorite composers of all-time. His music moves me so much. The harmony found in RVW is beautiful. A combination of Impressionism and hymnal modality.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2011, 07:25:00 AM
Yes, RVW is one of my favorite composers of all-time. His music moves me so much. The harmony found in RVW is beautiful. A combination of Impressionism and hymnal modality.

Sure, I agree; it's very poetic and melodious  :)