Started by MarkMcD, July 25, 2019, 03:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MarkMcD

MarkMcD

Thank you Cato,
Your help was invaluable.  I'm going to leave it alone for a while, but "This is not over"! lol.  I think I need some distance for a while to get a better perspective.  I'm now getting on with a second concerto and I've taken note of all your advice and am trying to follow it with this next piece.  That way, by the time I've "finished" that one, I hope to have learned much more and can apply it better to a further edit of the first concerto.

I'm sure many people would say, "just move on", but I'm trying learn as best I can and if I can make one of my favourite pieces better in some way after learning something new, then I will always want to do that, even if it's a couple of years from now.

Thanks again
Kind regards
Mark

Cato

Quote from: MarkMcD on September 14, 2019, 03:27:02 AM
Thank you Cato,
Your help was invaluable.  I'm going to leave it alone for a while, but "This is not over"! lol.  I think I need some distance for a while to get a better perspective.  I'm now getting on with a second concerto and I've taken note of all your advice and am trying to follow it with this next piece.  That way, by the time I've "finished" that one, I hope to have learned much more and can apply it better to a further edit of the first concerto.

I'm sure many people would say, "just move on", but I'm trying learn as best I can and if I can make one of my favourite pieces better in some way after learning something new, then I will always want to do that, even if it's a couple of years from now.

Thanks again
Kind regards
Mark

You are quite welcome!

There is a tradition of composers returning to earlier works and revising them: Rachmaninov returned to his First Piano Concerto, and of course Bruckner returned to previous symphonies more than once for revisions.  So, have no qualms about returning later to your first effort.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2019, 10:41:26 AM
Very well done, Mark!

I'll second that!

I'm not a big fan of trying to write in 18th century styles, but your Concerto does what it does quite well, and the finale even has a degree of panache. Bravo!