Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 2204286 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: New Releases
« Reply #12820 on: November 24, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
If you've read my posts you've read many positive things about Angela Hewitt. I derive a great deal of enjoyment from her Bach series, the Goldberg Various and WTC especially, and found her recordings of Ravel and Faure to be superb, bringing out internal counterpoint in music which is often played in a more atmospheric manner.

Thanks. Don't know how I missed your posts.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #12821 on: November 24, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »
The one that sticks in my mind as being interesting is Davidsbundlertänze. The way she manages the contrast between Florestan and Eusebius made me think of rock and roll dancing where the man is relatively still and the woman pirouettes around him. Long time since I heard it, so the above may be utter crap.

(Listening now - what I said is utter crap of course - but no matter, the performance is really excellent)
I have no idea what you're talking about but yes it's a perfectly good recording; I'm not sure why people might dismiss it as dreary. Admittedly she refuses to ever stick to a single tempo for more than two bars in succession but if you downsampled the recording to mono, slapped a vinyl/tape hiss filter on it and claimed it was by Ernst Levy, the same people who dismiss it now out of sheer anti-British contrarianism (which, in all fields except music, I am 100% supportive of) would probably love it.

I obviously prefer my Davidsbündlertänze to, well, dance, but Hewitt is notable in her total commitment to the (inferior) 1850 version (e.g. removing the tied note at the beginning almost all other pianists retain), which is properly titled "Davidsbündler: achtzehn Characterstücke"; Schumann preferred at that point in his career to totally attenuate the dance character of the piece. Ugorski is again the exemplar of this style but those who like his recording (which is his best outside the 20th century, and much better than his Op. 111) will also like Hewitt's.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #12822 on: November 24, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »
In fact I don't have Hewitt's DBT--didn't know or forgot that she had done them. The recording I called dreary is this

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #12823 on: November 24, 2021, 08:03:05 PM »
Ah. I haven't heard that one. Apologies.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #12824 on: November 24, 2021, 08:15:24 PM »
In fact I don't have Hewitt's DBT--didn't know or forgot that she had done them. The recording I called dreary is this

Is there anything less felicitous than a dreary Humoreske?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12825 on: November 24, 2021, 08:22:45 PM »
Is there anything less felicitous than a dreary Humoreske?

To be fair, it's been a long long time since I've listened to it.  I should go looking for it and see if my ears have changed in the interim.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12826 on: November 26, 2021, 08:04:57 AM »
For those who were talking about Anders Eliasson a page or two ago, eClassical's deal of the day is a disc of his chamber music for US $4.64. Nov. 26 only.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #12827 on: November 26, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »
For those who were talking about Anders Eliasson a page or two ago, eClassical's deal of the day is a disc of his chamber music for US $4.64. Nov. 26 only.

That’s an excellent disc. The harpsichord quintet is very stimulating.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12828 on: November 26, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »
To be fair, it's been a long long time since I've listened to it.  I should go looking for it and see if my ears have changed in the interim.

I’d like to know what you think if you listen again, I don’t think the Humoreske is dreary or indeed the sonata. On the contrary. But then I have just drunk half a bottle of Argentinian Malbec.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 12:18:30 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #12829 on: November 26, 2021, 07:18:42 PM »

Karaev orch.works

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12830 on: November 26, 2021, 08:12:49 PM »
I’d like to know what you think if you listen again, I don’t think the Humoreske is dreary or indeed the sonata. On the contrary. But then I have just drunk half a bottle of Argentinian Malbec.

Found the CD. To my surprise it was on the shelf I thought it was on. (Usually they aren't when I have had them this long.) But given how hectic work is this time of year (I'm in retail) I'm not sure when it will get a proper listen.

Karaev orch.works

My poverty in Russian vocabulary strikes again. What's the solo instrument in the concerto? And what does the title of the Rhapsody refer to?

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #12831 on: November 26, 2021, 08:22:37 PM »
My poverty in Russian vocabulary strikes again. What's the solo instrument in the concerto? And what does the title of the Rhapsody refer to?
It's a violin concerto (I used the other letters on the cover to deduce artist name Andrey Korsakov, googled him, and verified).

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #12832 on: November 26, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »

Found the CD. To my surprise it was on the shelf I thought it was on. (Usually they aren't when I have had them this long.) But given how hectic work is this time of year (I'm in retail) I'm not sure when it will get a proper listen.
First symphony.ballets suites.albanian rhapsody i don't think physical album.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #12833 on: November 26, 2021, 08:36:36 PM »
It's a violin concerto (I used the other letters on the cover to deduce artist name Andrey Korsakov, googled him, and verified).

Thanks. I thought the Russian word for violin was something more like "violin".

Thank you.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #12834 on: November 26, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Skripka is technically "fiddle"; I'm not sure if Russian has ever used the direct Italian loanword ("violina") still used in most South Slavic languages. I want to say it did at some point, or at least I've seen it in scores, but I have no evidence for this claim.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #12835 on: Today at 12:07:20 AM »
Thanks - I enjoy his music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Oh no! Someone catted my avatar!
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #12836 on: Today at 03:46:12 AM »

On the basis of listening for 10 minutes, this is the Bartok cycle we’ve all always wanted.

Thanks for posting this one.  I've always found the Bartok Quartets rather hard going, but these musicians really hit the spot for me.  Vol.1 as well.