Music from the Spanish & Portuguese Baroque and Renaissance

Started by Bogey, October 09, 2011, 03:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Cross-post from the listening thread:

A reminder of the treasures already in my collection:

For Spanish Baroque aficionados, I can only endorse Johan van Veen's strong recommendation:

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Lauda_LAU010.html

https://laudamusica.com/en/discografia-info.php?ref=LAU010

Q

Que

Cross-posted from the listening thread:

Splendid Spanish High Baroque in splendid performances.  A beautiful blend of earlier traditions in Spanish music and "modern" Italian influences. Particularly the instrumental parts for woodwinds are beautiful and a De Hita trademark.

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Lauda_LAU009.html

For a complete recording of the Canciones instrumentales:

Q

Biffo

Quote from: Que on December 24, 2020, 03:09:55 AM
Cross-posted from the listening thread:

Splendid Spanish High Baroque in splendid performances.  A beautiful blend of earlier traditions in Spanish music and "modern" Italian influences. Particularly the instrumental parts for woodwinds are beautiful and a De Hita trademark.

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Lauda_LAU009.html

For a complete recording of the Canciones instrumentales:

Q

Both discs look interesting, I will have to see what Spotify has available - this is a composer completely new to me.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on December 24, 2020, 03:13:03 AM
Both discs look interesting, I will have to see what Spotify has available - this is a composer completely new to me.

I recall that some recordings by Recasens are available on Spotify.

I'm kind of addicted to recordings by Catalan conductors Ángel and Albert Recasens: beautiful Spanish/Catalan Baroque music unknown to the rest of the world in superb, expertly done period performances. On top of that: great sound & lavish presentation by their family owned label Lauda . I have collected quite a few of their recordings with La Grande Chapelle already. Sadly, Ángel Recasens passed away in 2007. But his son Albert is a worthy successor.

Biffo

Quote from: Que on December 24, 2020, 03:20:59 AM
I recall that some recordings by Recasens are available on Spotify.

I'm kind of addicted to recordings by Catalan conductors Ángel and Albert Recasens: beautiful Spanish/Catalan Baroque music unknown to the rest of the world in superb, expertly done period performances. On top of that: great sound & lavish presentation by their family owned label Lauda . I have collected quite a few of their recordings with La Grande Chapelle already. Sadly, Ángel Recasens passed away in 2007. But his son Albert is a worthy successor.

Thanks for the info. After checking my collection I found a couple of discs from Albert and La Grande Chapelle - works by Duron and Vals.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on December 24, 2020, 03:36:53 AM
Thanks for the info. After checking my collection I found a couple of discs from Albert and La Grande Chapelle - works by Duron and Vals.

How is the Durón?  :)

Q

Biffo

Quote from: Que on December 24, 2020, 03:39:34 AM
How is the Durón?  :)

Q

I haven't listened to it for a while so I would have to refresh my memory - I am sure I enjoyed it. I have listened to the Vals more often.

milk

I think this is the first time a particular singer has caught my attention. I guess I'm listening to more vocal music these days (though I dislike opera). Maria Cristina Kiehr! She's great. I don't know what this is or what the titles mean but the second track: La Carretera - Cumbees. It's gorgeous.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on May 25, 2022, 05:07:13 AM
Maria Cristina Kiehr! She's great.

Agreed, I know her through this (not a recommendation for the cd, but her voice is nice.)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 25, 2022, 06:16:20 AM
Agreed, I know her through this (not a recommendation for the cd, but her voice is nice.)

I like that. I see she's fairly prolific; she's on some Monteverdi in addition to various recordings of Spanish and "new world" baroque. I also notice she's on a Bach motets recording. That I want to hear.
I'm interested in any recommendations of other voices with a similar quality. Up until now, soprano has been my least favorite vocal range.

Mandryka

Paloma Gutierrez del Arroyo (Bernart de Ventadorn with Manuel Vilas)
Sabine Lutzenberger (Walther von der Vogelweide with Per Sonat)
Francesca Cassinari (Josquin with Michele Cinquina, a handful of songs by Antonio Zacara da Teramo on the complete works set by Alpha -- use spotify to find which songs)
Maria Skiba (Dowland with Frank Pschichholz)
Suzie Leblanc (Tobias Hume)
Zsuzsi Tóth (Chantilly Codex II with Tetraktys)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen