Phillip Wilcher

Started by madaboutmahler, October 23, 2011, 06:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Phillip Wilcher is an Australian composer who is a good friend of mine. I have to say that it is an honour to have him as a friend, as not only is he a wonderful, inspiring man, but also his music is absolutely beautiful.
So, this is a place to discuss the work of this excellent composer, and also hopefully to introduce others to his work.

His music (whether live performances, or computer sounds) can be found on his youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhillipLWilcher#p/u
Shall start the thread by sharing this stunning nocturne for the left hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvUwzqmPfsM&feature=colike

Looking forward to respsonses! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I sometimes visit Phillip Wilcher's channel on youtube, I really like his piano music; that's absolutely great to see there are still living, brilliant composers.
I especially adore his Nocturne in Eb minor and three Transcendental Etudes for left hand  :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 26, 2011, 09:40:06 AM
I sometimes visit Phillip Wilcher's channel on youtube, I really like his piano music; that's absolutely great to see there are still living, brilliant composers.
I especially adore his Nocturne in Eb minor and three Transcendental Etudes for left hand  :)

Ilaria! I was just starting to think that no one was going to post anything on this topic! So thank you for coming! :)

Yes, I love those pieces you mention as well. What is it for you about his style that you love? I think his music seems very natural, and is very beautiful. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 23, 2011, 06:09:26 AM
Phillip Wilcher is an Australian composer who is a good friend of mine.

So what is he, like 15?   ;D

Fine introduction though. I hadn't heard of him.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 26, 2011, 09:43:39 AM
Ilaria! I was just starting to think that no one was going to post anything on this topic! So thank you for coming! :)

Yes, I love those pieces you mention as well. What is it for you about his style that you love? I think his music seems very natural, and is very beautiful. :)

Sure, I agree, his music is very expressive and intense, but very harmonious and enchanting at the same time; the piano works also show an excellent technique at the keyboard  :)

Did Phillip make any recording of his music?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 26, 2011, 11:01:17 AM
Sure, I agree, his music is very expressive and intense, but very harmonious and enchanting at the same time; the piano works also show an excellent technique at the keyboard  :)

Did Phillip make any recording of his music?
Certainly, Ilaria. Expressive and enchanting are definitely two words I would associate with his music! Quite a few performers have recorded performances of his music, although I am not sure if any is available on cd. I shall ask him. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven