Author Topic: The Old Site  (Read 830 times)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Formerly Ratliff
The Old Site
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »
I have come across links to "the old site," which got orphaned when there was some database corruption and/or there was a migration to new server software, but when I follow these links I get a permission denied/not available message. See reply 7 from the Ireland thread

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,781.0.html

Does anyone know if the "old site" has been moved, or is gone for good?

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: The Old Site
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
I have come across links to "the old site," which got orphaned when there was some database corruption and/or there was a migration to new server software, but when I follow these links I get a permission denied/not available message. See reply 7 from the Ireland thread

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,781.0.html

Does anyone know if the "old site" has been moved, or is gone for good?

The most recent information I can find about it is that Rob had decided it wasn't being a burden on the server and had decided to leave it indefinitely. But that was in 2013, and the great crash of 2018 may have rendered such decisions moot. It may even be that you are the first to discover the problem, since I doubt Rob or any of the mods goes there looking for issues. I'll drop him a note, and if he hasn't turned to ash (Canberra has been under great stress recently) maybe he can take a look.

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline j winter

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »
If the old site is gone for good, years ago I was playing with a new e-reader and downloaded several music related things to read as (I think) PDFs (stuff like Tony Duggan's old Mahler symphony survey, etc.).  Haven't looked at it in ages.

Included in all of that was a copy of Herman's old "Fighting Over Chopin" thread, which we old-timers will remember and which ran to a gazillion pages... I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere, and would be willing to post it if there's need/interest (and if Herman's cool with it, assuming he doesn't have a copy as well)....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:57:44 AM »
The most recent information I can find about it is that Rob had decided it wasn't being a burden on the server and had decided to leave it indefinitely. But that was in 2013, and the great crash of 2018 may have rendered such decisions moot. It may even be that you are the first to discover the problem, since I doubt Rob or any of the mods goes there looking for issues. I'll drop him a note, and if he hasn't turned to ash (Canberra has been under great stress recently) maybe he can take a look.

8)

Iirc, Rob also referred to the old site at a later stage, late summer 2019, but somehow that thread went astray. I think he said it would not be approachable anymore to reduce the chance of technical flaws or something like that. I doubt if he has plans to bring it back, because that would take much of his time. I was one of them (rare, I gather) fools who still checked it from time to time, being too lazy to make all kinds of back-ups for myself.

If you manage to convince him to replace it: thanks in advance!
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:58:56 AM »
If the old site is gone for good, years ago I was playing with a new e-reader and downloaded several music related things to read as (I think) PDFs (stuff like Tony Duggan's old Mahler symphony survey, etc.).  Haven't looked at it in ages.

Included in all of that was a copy of Herman's old "Fighting Over Chopin" thread, which we old-timers will remember and which ran to a gazillion pages... I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere, and would be willing to post it if there's need/interest (and if Herman's cool with it, assuming he doesn't have a copy as well)....

I think I saved Sidoze's list of Chopin pianists from that thread... have to check it out.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link