RIP Lis Shiveley (Uffeviking)

Started by Gurn Blanston, December 12, 2015, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Daverz

I'm touched by the remembrances on thread.  I wish I had been more aware, I only remember the charming moniker.  How can I read her old posts?

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Daverz on December 16, 2015, 06:24:43 PM
How can I read her old posts?

The old forum is still up (read-only) here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/forum/

Lis had the distinction of making the last ever post on that forum before it migrated here.

Marc

Just read this today.
I definitely remember her from the good ole GMG forum.
I always thought she was a very nice person.

May she rest in peace.

Pat B

And now I just saw this.

I think she had largely "retired" from the forum by the time I joined, but I have read enough old posts to recognize her as a great lover of music and a wise moderator.

May she rest in peace.

Bogey

I, like you, just saw this thread.  She was one of the pillars here and will be missed.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

knight66

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 16, 2015, 02:15:40 AM
Lis was a treasure. She was the only 80+ year old I know who could master the technicalities of the internet, especially the moderating of this forum. And not just the technicalities, but the human and fair-mindedness of being a great moderator. Her signature was "Kindlein liebet einander!" - "Children, love one another!".

And here is a sample of how she admonished a wayward member (from 2006!): 

You should by now know that GMG is a forum for discussions of classical music, not a place to display your uncivilised, uncultured gutter language. Take it where you picked it up: In the gutter, but keep it out of here!
I thank you, politely!
uffeviking

Years ago, when we moved to Vancouver for a few years, she invited me to her home in NY (Vancouver being closer than Canberra), and I am sorry I could never take her up on her offer. She was a true lady. Sadly missed.

That made me smile; it was very characteristically Lis.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

zamyrabyrd

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Sean

All very sobering. I recall exchanging messages with her in my crazier days ten years back. Best wishes.