Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

The previous topic with this title has no "Reply" button any longer, so I am starting a new one.

GMG Member "Anne" has been missing since the early summer: she liked opera quite a bit, and I was in contact with her now and then.

She also had, from what I could gather, emphysema from a bad decision made in her teenaged years, and also other ailments.  I have sent her a few messages, but no response, so I am wondering if she is in even worse condition.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mn Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 25, 2011, 12:16:42 PM
Scarpia?

When he stopped posting, I periodically checked his profile. I think he was last active in June, last post in April (?). But when I checked last week, he was no longer in the members list (unless he changed his name). That means, I assume, that after a long silence he finally deleted his account. Odd. Nothing in his last messages indicated anything was wrong. I miss the dude. And my bazooka is getting rusty.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Grazioso

I don't have access to the stats, so am I imagining things when it seems like things are slower around here in general? :(
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mn Dave

The eccentrics have quieted down a bit.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Grazioso on October 27, 2011, 04:33:06 AM
I don't have access to the stats, so am I imagining things when it seems like things are slower around here in general? :(

Not slower than last year but slower than years previous to 2010. Total posts:

2011   93265
2010   96337
2009   122848
2008   134743
2007   124146

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mn Dave

When I was forty-fiiiiive, it was a very good year...

Grazioso

I take that back: I do have access to the stats, down at the bottom of the main page.

Looks like there has indeed been a significant drop in posts from last month to this, though there are still a few days left.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Mn Dave

Quote from: Grazioso on October 27, 2011, 04:40:31 AM
I take that back: I do have access to the stats, down at the bottom of the main page.

Looks like there has indeed been a significant drop in posts from last month to this, though there are still a few days left.

With Karl gone, there is no hope!

chasmaniac

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 27, 2011, 04:39:53 AM
When I was forty-fiiiiive, it was a very good year...

Let's post again, like we did last summa...!  8)
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

Mn Dave

Fewer posts are fine if the quality has gone up.

Dundonnell

Ok..let me be honest and make a confession ;D

After a two year break I returned here a couple of months ago and started a number of threads about lesser-known composers: the area I mainly dealt in when I was active between 2007 and 2009.
I hope/d through these to encourage some interest in these composers.

My threads on Boris Blacher got 4 replies, Wilfred Josephs 2, Hans Gal 5, Halvor Haug 7, Randall Thompson 7 and Paul von Klenau precisely zero. Some of these replies were actually from me responding to a
comment.

There comes a point when one begins to wonder whether it is actually worth posting at all about the sort of composers who interest me :( I-frankly-am not terribly interested in commenting about the 25th version
of a Mahler symphony which someone has bought....but that is just me ;D

There is no shortage of comments, on the other hand, in the Havergal Brian thread.

Somewhat discouraged, I joined the "Unsung Composers" Forum where there is much more discussion of lesser-known composers. That is a rather more focussed forum obviously.

I don't want to leave GMG....for one(very important) thing I have made some very good friends here and have met several of them in person. On the other hand I am likely to be posting less and probably unlikely
to be starting threads :(

Well.........at least you have a response from someone who is contributing to the fall in numbers.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2011, 05:45:58 AM
I don't want to leave GMG....for one(very important) thing I have made some very good friends here and have met several of them in person.

Yep, that's about the only reason I hang around. I no longer care to discuss or compare recordings which is more than half the discussion here, or it seems that way to me.

The new erato

My threads on Boris Blacher got 4 replies, Wilfred Josephs 2, Hans Gal 5, Halvor Haug 7, Randall Thompson 7 and Paul von Klenau precisely zero. Some of these replies were actually from me responding to a
comment.

well I'm always interested in your posts, and read them all. But this stuff needs to be bought and listened to....and that takes time. My buying que and listening que are long (and until I've listened I have little to say), but don't think for a minute that your posts go unnoticed. You will find my comments on Klenaus Cornett in the listening thread....and I could have commented on Randall Thompson, except that I hadn't the time to move the Koch disc of symphonies up in the que; it's been 10 years since I last heard it, and lots of other stuff is fighting for attention .....but your post certainly made me notice it, and it will be played again, which it probably wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for your thread.

cilgwyn

Maybe I'm going to HAVE to put up that William Mathias thread now! :o (The Mathias Concerto's 1 & 2 Somm, have had good reviews in the Nov IRR)
Room for a pretender? (I don't think the 'Cockney Wagner's' been done & that new Dutton cd of Holbrooke is grrrrrrrrreeeeat! I'm finally impressed! ;D)
But,I don't like home work! :(

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mn Dave on October 27, 2011, 04:33:49 AM
The eccentrics have quieted down a bit.

And now you've got me.
This should help! ;D

Christo

Saul?

(runs away)  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mn Dave

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 27, 2011, 07:56:40 AM
And now you've got me.
This should help! ;D

I see you now. You've been hiding in the British composers threads, eh?

cilgwyn

Uh-oh! You won't tell anyone,will you! :o

Cato

Ok..let me be honest and make a confession ;D

After a two year break I returned here a couple of months ago and started a number of threads about lesser-known composers: the area I mainly dealt in when I was active between 2007 and 2009.
I hope/d through these to encourage some interest in these composers.

comment.

I feel bad about a topic with no responses, and if I have anything worthwhile, I will comment.

Part of my problem is simply lack of funds and opportunity to experience Unsung Composers: I explored all sorts of composers decades ago, but now with "somebody" in the house already grumping about the number of CD's (Mp3 downloads I am not yet sold on, even though I own a Macintosh) and other materials overcrowding the house (i.e.  the books in the vast Cato Archives, the tragic result of having 4 majors and teaching fields, not to mention the avocations of Music, Quantum Physics, Theology, etc.), even if I did have the funds and the space, I still might not have the free time and free space to explore composers like I used to.

So I would like to join your romp through esoterica in an attempt to transform the esoterica into exoterica.  But...
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)