Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Well there's nothing to be done. If the site ceases to be available that would be a shame, I've made a backup of the threads I'm most interested in just in case, as I think there are some ideas in there which I'll want to be able to access. If the owner continues to pay for the site to be on the web then I guess that the problem about new members will eventually come to his  attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 14, 2018, 04:29:39 AM
Not for this long. He travels on business sometimes, and it may be a week or two, but this has been quite considerable. :-\

Rob was in the process of solving the problems that were the result of the transfer to another server, and then he suddenly disappears for a long time without even telling the moderators anything in advance, and apparently he isn't reading his post. This is not consistent with his previous meticulous care for this forum.

I am indeed worried.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 14, 2018, 10:45:48 AM
Rob was in the process of solving the problems that were the result of the transfer to another server, and then he suddenly disappears for a long time without even telling the moderators anything in advance, and apparently he isn't reading his post. This is not consistent with his previous meticulous care for this forum.

That pretty much sums it up. Worrying indeed.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 14, 2018, 10:45:48 AM

I am indeed worried.

+1 Rob has taken meticulous care of this board for well over a decade. What's transpiring now is very much out of character.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

kyjo

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on June 13, 2018, 10:28:42 AM
I will be frequenting another site for classical music discussions. Cheers.

Come back!  :(
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Also, I wonder where John (MI) has been?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on June 14, 2018, 06:56:29 PM
Also, I wonder where John (MI) has been?
He announced that he is in a progressive rock "phase" and won't be listening to classical for a while.

Brian

I did not know that new members had been blocked from registering.

Short term selfishly, I am disappointed that this sitewide collapse in traffic/usability will keep me from selling my CDs.
Long term selfishly, darn, I have been a GMGer since 2006 and can't imagine the internet without it. Can't imagine it. Aside from vacations and especially busy celebrations I've probably visited the forum daily for my entire adult life. It means so darn much to me. And even as my explorations started to move to jazz, well, there was a jazz board too, and king ubu around to cause me to spend hundreds of dollars the way that M forever, Gurn, Todd, amw, Mark Antony Owen, TheGSMoeller, Sergeant Rock, Lethe(vich), Karl Henning, Harry, Novi, North Star, Papy Oli, Bogey, Don/Bulldog/Sammy, Don/Divertimentian, Daverz, George, Holden, and many many others have also caused me to spend hundreds of dollars - and hundreds of hours of sheer happiness.

Ugh!

I hope that Rob is healthy and safe.

Mirror Image

I'm going to have to throw in the towel here as well. I don't blame Scarpia one bit. I've become increasingly annoyed with this site and really I have no use for it any longer.

I wish everyone here the best and I appreciate all the music chattery. But, I can't imagine why I would want to come back to this forum other than to post my final goodbye, so to all with whom I've communicated here on GMG, I wish you well and I'll see you on Facebook, but I don't really get on there too often other than to check messages and talk with people who aren't even on this site any longer.

All the best to you guys.

Marc

STATEMENT :laugh:

I realize that a lot of you are worried and probably losing sleep, hunted by the probability that member Marc might be the next one who makes The Statement and decides to leave. :P

Well, here's the STATEMENT: I'm NOT leaving.

Like Brian, and quite a few others, I've been a member since the days of the old (closed) forum, and I've been visiting and posting on a (ir)regular basis. During periods that I didn't feel the need to visit GMG, I just stayed away for a while, and, who knows, this might happen again in future times. I will continue to be a member though, because, in general, I think this is a nice place to blabber about music & things. And I do not intend to join Facebook/Twitter/whatever, because I'm quite sure they're managed by crooks.

I sincerely hope that Rob, who, in general, has been doing a great job considering all years since he created GMG, is fine and that he will be able to fix the technical problems. Because I think the board is still worth it.

As long as GMG is in the air, and I'm still alive, I will remain a member and will not delete my account.

Harry

Quote from: Marc on June 14, 2018, 10:09:41 PM

I realize that a lot of you are worried and probably losing sleep, hunted by the probability that member Marc might be the next one who makes The Statement and decides to leave. :P

Like Brian, and quite a few others, I've been a member since the days of the old (closed) forum, and I've been visiting and posting on a (ir)regular basis. During periods that I didn't feel the need to visit GMG, I just stayed away for a while, and, who knows, this might happen again in future times. I will continue to be a member though, because, in general, I think this is a nice place to blabber about music & things. And I do not intend to join Facebook/Twitter/whatever, because I'm quite sure they're managed by crooks.

I sincerely hope that Rob, who, in general, has been doing a great job considering all years since he created GMG, is fine and that he will be able to fix the technical problems. Because I think the board is still worth it.

As long as GMG is in the air, and I'm still alive, I will remain a member and will not delete my account.

Hear, hear. I am of the same opinion :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

NikF

Where I come from and even as a street urchin I already knew that when there's a problem people should stick together and that no one gets left behind.

I've also found that here (and allowing for confirmation bias) more than on any other forum I've been a part of, this plays out on a fairly regular basis - "El que se va sin que lo echen, vuelve sin que lo llamen".

e: I'm off to the gym now, with  an early morning listen to Enescu's first Sonata for Cello and Piano still on my mind. I hope you all have a good day.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Que

Well, I'm not going anywhere either.... :D

GMG has been my musical home for over ten years now, and like Brian I can't imagine my internet life without it...
And the (few) alternatives have never appealed to me.

Of course I'm not blind to the fact that it is essential that the site stays up and running in good functioning order.
But running towards the exit as soon as technical issues arise, turns the predictions of doom and gloom into a self fulfillling prophesy. We have been through worse, and came out on the other end just fine.

For now I trust that Rob, and if necessary with our help - financially or otherwise - will be able to secure the continuation of GMG.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help on the technical side, but I'm ready to pitch in....

Q

PS To everybody that has decided to leave: bye, best of luck.

Florestan

I've been a member since the days of the old (closed) forum, and I've been visiting and posting on a (ir)regular basis. During periods that I didn't feel the need to visit GMG, I just stayed away for a while, and, who knows, this might happen again in future times. I will continue to be a member though, because, in general, I think this is a nice place to blabber about music & things.

Same here.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2018, 12:02:56 AM
Same here.
And here as well.

GMG is a space where we all share our passion for music in a most civil and (for me at least) enriching way. The have been some technical issues in the recent past which (at least in my case) have been resolved. I do not understand some of our fellow GMGer's decision to "abandon ship" as a reaction to this (transitory) situation.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Que on June 14, 2018, 11:15:03 PM
Well, I'm not going anywhere either.... :D

GMG has been my musical home for over ten years now, and like Brian I can't imagine my internet life without it...
And the (few) alternatives have never appealed to me.

Of course I'm not blind to the fact that it is essential that the site stays up and running in good functioning order.
But running towards the exit as soon as technical issues arise, turns the predictions of doom and gloom into a self fulfillling prophesy. We have been through worse, and came out on the other end just fine.

For now I trust that Rob, and if necessary with our help - financially or otherwise - will be able to secure the continuation of GMG.
I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help on the technical side, but I'm ready to pitch in....

Q

PS To everybody that has decided to leave: bye, best of luck.

It is frustrating not to know what it is happening, but not sure what the rush to leave is either. Still, the comments from a few of those leaving does not lead me to post such a kind response as you have Que. The irony is that if they had just left quietly or just said they were moving to a different site, I would have no problem with that. But some of the comments are spiteful and nasty, while trying to get in that last 'dig' before they leave. I feel they (some) are showing their true colors. I find it hard to find charity towards them.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

premont

Well put, Marc. Your words apply to me too.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 15, 2018, 12:20:14 AM
It is frustrating not to know what it is happening, but not sure what the rush to leave is either. Still, the comments from a few of those leaving does not lead me to post such a kind response as you have Que. The irony is that if they had just left quietly or just said they were moving to a different site, I would have no problem with that. But some of the comments are spiteful and nasty, while trying to get in that last 'dig' before they leave. I feel they (some) are showing their true colors. I find it hard to find charity towards them.

Well, like Que, I do wish them the best of luck, but I admit that my 'statement' was also kind of an ironic wink to the leavers. Their goodbyes tend a bit to 'online keyboard bravery' towards people who can't help the current situation, either. I'm far from a 'clammy' community guy, but even I have to admit it hurts a bit witnessing the way these brave leavers are saying goodbye.

SurprisedByBeauty

Yep, me too. I have "leaving in a huff and a puff" out of my system, already. I'm in a committed classical-music-chat-room relationship with GMG now. Even if it is ailing and the doctor nowhere to be found.  :-*

Que

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 15, 2018, 12:20:14 AM

You know, I completely understand how you feel!  :)

But if people want to make a display of burning their bridges, we can't stop them....

I try to save my grudges for any members that have (figuratively) spat in my face over some moderating issue, which is luckily extremely rare....  8)

Anyway, let's hope we can work things out on the technical glitches soon.

Q