Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

I really think this particular situation should be assessed 6-12 months from now. I (hope) and suspect that everything will be normalized by then. If not, we need to cross that bridge at that point in time. It seems premature to think that the world of GMG will end just because Rob has been gone for a while.  I also don't understand the need to "jump ship" because of this short-term problem. This site is a fun and inspiring nexus for classical music - one never knows how the next post can inspire one to wander unknown paths of music!!!    ;)
I think GMG is a great site for classical music in every form and very much appreciate the members' contributions. Obviously "real life" has its own bumps and intricate mazes, but one's love and interest for classical music generally brings one back to this site sooner or later. Right? Right...............? Right................................?

:P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Oh, I think so, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Great news, friends....I'm still here! And I ain't goin nowhere! Plus I have more money to spend.

Speaking of...Hey, Brian, you still selling those CDs? I spy a few...

Karl Henning

There are a number of people I have met (or "met") via GMG whom I probably would never have managed to know in real life.  So, I feel a sense of loyalty and gratitude to Rob and the site, and to the many fellow participants who have made this such an enjoyable and enriching environment.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I won't be leaving, but every now and then there might be a couple of months where I don't post, as is my usual posting habit here.

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on June 15, 2018, 04:13:22 AM
Right? Right...............? Right................................?

:P

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  :D

I think I have been a member for over 10 years now, and have enjoyed many things.  I have met Karl Henning (he came to visit Ohio a few years ago) and we have collaborated on a few works, which have music of - allow me to say   $:)  - pure genius!   0:)   Those works obviously would not have happened without GMG!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

I have been a member here since 2003. I was a moderator back in the days when that was an elected position, voted on not by popularity, but by the nebulous idea of probably being fair and honest and maybe good at it. Whether I posted or not, I have been here every day, making sure the big fires got put out. It's hard to see me leaving simply because of some technical issues. I'm sure those things will get worked out. In the meantime, I'm reading and listening to music, right now some Mozart I bought from Brian that arrived yesterday.

(Commercial pause: You should avail yourself of some of those, he's virtually giving them away, and shipping is fast and cheap. Now back to our programme...)

Anyway, keep enjoying what we have. Isn't this the only place with free access to Marc? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Marc

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 15, 2018, 05:59:37 AM
[...]
Anyway, keep enjoying what we have. Isn't this the only place with free access to Marc? [...]

THE-ONE-AND-ONLY, good sir Gurn.

Mahlerian

I appreciate the tight-knit community here, and I would be sorry to see it go.  I'm not leaving anytime soon.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Marc

Quote from: Marc on June 15, 2018, 06:04:57 AM
THE-ONE-AND-ONLY, good sir Gurn.

The one and only Marc, that is. 0:)
But I'm also a member of TC and CMG.

And I'm not leaving anyway anyhow anywhere.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 15, 2018, 04:29:39 AM

Speaking of...Hey, Brian, you still selling those CDs? I spy a few...
Girlfriend said I can't buy more til I sell more. Help!!!!  ???

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2018, 10:58:03 AM

I can't help you with the girlfriend, but I might be able to take a few of those CDs off your shelf  ;D

Move to PMs.

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on June 15, 2018, 10:58:03 AM

8)

(Greg beat me to the punch.) Can't help with that problem, but I will add to the chorus of those who are staying. Even though time constraints have prevented me from being here much lately, I still like the camaraderie, the bonhomie, and the diversity of music that people discuss here. I'd like to think that as moderators, we've encouraged as little censorship as possible (without the Wild West atmosphere of an uncurated forum), while dealing fairly with occasional assaults on civility.

In any case, I suspect Rob is either very busy or hasn't quite figured out what's wrong. (This is a guy who used to do helicopter medical rescue in his spare time, so he's a good soul.) And lately, now and then I point to GMG as an early example of social media. Even without the bells and whistles of Twitter, Facebook, or other successors, the bare-bones interface of the site is appealing -- not to mention, the folks here, some of whom I've met in person.

Anyway, carry on. Were they alive today, Bach, Haydn, Stockhausen, and Xenakis would all be grateful for your passion and advocacy.  8)

--Bruce

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brewski on June 15, 2018, 11:21:57 AM

In any case, I suspect Rob is either very busy or hasn't quite figured out what's wrong.

--Bruce

At this point, I just hope that he's well, healthy, and alive. We never did get that Whisk(e)y going... which is in high order if he makes a return.

Ken B

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 15, 2018, 12:22:29 PM
At this point, I just hope that he's well, healthy, and alive. We never did get that Whisk(e)y going... which is in high order if he makes a return.
Has anyone sent a text to that number Mandryka found with whois? It would be nice to know he's alive.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brewski on June 15, 2018, 11:21:57 AM
8)

(Greg beat me to the punch.) Can't help with that problem, but I will add to the chorus of those who are staying. Even though time constraints have prevented me from being here much lately, I still like the camaraderie, the bonhomie, and the diversity of music that people discuss here. I'd like to think that as moderators, we've encouraged as little censorship as possible (without the Wild West atmosphere of an uncurated forum), while dealing fairly with occasional assaults on civility.

In any case, I suspect Rob is either very busy or hasn't quite figured out what's wrong. (This is a guy who used to do helicopter medical rescue in his spare time, so he's a good soul.) And lately, now and then I point to GMG as an early example of social media. Even without the bells and whistles of Twitter, Facebook, or other successors, the bare-bones interface of the site is appealing -- not to mention, the folks here, some of whom I've met in person.

Hi Bruce - enjoyed your comments - thanks.  Just to add my concern about Rob's recent absence on the site - hope that all is well w/ him.  Dave :)

Alek Hidell

With fewer than 300 posts to my name I'm hardly a GMG veteran (though I was a longtime lurker before that!) and I realize it probably matters to no one, but I'm here for the duration. Fortunately I've had no issues since the server switchover, but I'd still be hanging around waiting for the issues to resolve if I had. This forum is much superior to the other one (*ahem*) to which I previously belonged.

Incidentally, I can't speak for the others who've left, but I'm confident that Mirror Image will be back. I've seen him do this before, more than once. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

vandermolen

Quote from: Alek Hidell on June 17, 2018, 06:08:51 PM
With fewer than 300 posts to my name I'm hardly a GMG veteran (though I was a longtime lurker before that!) and I realize it probably matters to no one, but I'm here for the duration. Fortunately I've had no issues since the server switchover, but I'd still be hanging around waiting for the issues to resolve if I had. This forum is much superior to the other one (*ahem*) to which I previously belonged.

Incidentally, I can't speak for the others who've left, but I'm confident that Mirror Image will be back. I've seen him do this before, more than once. :)

I agree about MI and hope he returns soon but I disagree with your 'it probably matters to no one' comment. It does matter.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2018, 11:35:52 AM
I agree about MI and hope he returns soon but I disagree with your 'it probably matters to no one' comment. It does matter.
:)

Quite so. We don't want people to leave, if the only ones who stayed all agreed with each other, for example, it would be a pretty dull place. Certainly there are those who can wear out their welcome, but mostly that wouldn't come as a surprise, either to the wearer or the wearee. :D

In my years here I have met a great number of people I genuinely like. They are not always the same ones that the majority genuinely like. I genuinely like that. ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2018, 05:25:01 PM
Quite so. We don't want people to leave, if the only ones who stayed all agreed with each other, for example, it would be a pretty dull place. Certainly there are those who can wear out their welcome, but mostly that wouldn't come as a surprise, either to the wearer or the wearee. :D

In my years here I have met a great number of people I genuinely like. They are not always the same ones that the majority genuinely like. I genuinely like that. ;)

8)

QuoteIf you should ever find yourself in the majority, pause and rethink.