Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on June 18, 2018, 05:32:37 PM
QuoteIf you should ever find yourself in the majority, pause and rethink.

A paraphrase of my favorite author (Mark Twain) I believe. And so, so true. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mahlerian

I'm sad to see Jessop go, and I hope that when the ability to register has been restored, he will return.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

NikF

http://www.youtube.com/v/y__f6czarnA

All 'I'm leaving and never coming back' type posts should automatically be replaced by this.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

André

???  Jessop has unloaded his account?  ???

Mahlerian

Quote from: San Antone on June 19, 2018, 09:47:28 AM
Do you know what sent him over the edge?  Again, he could have just stopped visiting the site but left his account intact.

I do not, but it may be related to the thread concerning moderation of a certain member.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SimonNZ

I don't understand Jessop's decision. TC censors people on an hourly basis. Every day you'll see a range of petty examples. Here you can go whole months here without being aware that some of the posters are also moderators.

kyjo

Quote from: Alek Hidell on June 17, 2018, 06:08:51 PM
Incidentally, I can't speak for the others who've left, but I'm confident that Mirror Image will be back. I've seen him do this before, more than once. :)

Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns in less than a week. He likes to play tricks on us sometimes! ;D

Oh, and by the way, I'm certainly not leaving!  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mandryka

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 19, 2018, 07:49:21 PMTC censors people on an hourly basis. Every day you'll see a range of petty examples. Here you can go whole months here without being aware that some of the posters are also moderators.

Who are these hidden moderators who censor people on an hourly basis? Doesn't it say "global moderator" under their name? Or are there non-global moderators whose identity is not revealed?

I wonder who made the decision about snyprr.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

GioCar

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 19, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
I don't understand Jessop's decision. TC censors people on an hourly basis. Every day you'll see a range of petty examples. Here you can go whole months here without being aware that some of the posters are also moderators.
He has already been banned again, there...

Edit: No, I'm wrong. I saw his profile banned till yesterday, now he's in again... don't know what's happening there.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on June 19, 2018, 09:54:24 PM
Who are these hidden moderators who censor people on an hourly basis? Doesn't it say "global moderator" under their name? Or are there non-global moderators whose identity is not revealed?

I wonder who made the decision about snyprr.

No.  If it were as innocent as that, you know who the Moderators are, and you would take it offline.

You are determined to maintain a public fuss;  and it isn't cute anymore.  You've participated on GMG for nine years or more;  if you have not investigated the Forum Rules before now, you don't get to mount an inquisition based on your personal incuriosity.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 19, 2018, 08:02:04 PM

Oh, and by the way, I'm certainly not leaving!  :)

I'm very pleased to hear that!  :)

And I hope that John (MI) is back soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 20, 2018, 12:53:10 AM
No.  If it were as innocent as that, you know who the Moderators are, and you would take it offline.

You are determined to maintain a public fuss;  and it isn't cute anymore.  You've participated on GMG for nine years or more;  if you have not investigated the Forum Rules before now, you don't get to mount an inquisition based on your personal incuriosity.
I have read the rules. They don't say you cannot question. Mandryka asked a legitimate question. This group has lost members who were upset with the moderation. I for one do not see why such decisions should be unquestioned.

It's not relevant to the point I am making but I think the answer Mandryka got is clear enough, and satisfactory to me. Only he can decide if it is satisfactory to him.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on June 20, 2018, 07:20:52 AM
I have read the rules. They don't say you cannot question. Mandryka asked a legitimate question. This group has lost members who were upset with the moderation. I for one do not see why such decisions should be unquestioned.

Fine.  Not all questions are asked in good faith;  a metric tonne of snypsss's questions, comes to mind.  So when Mandryka raises what is on its face a legitimate question, in multiple threads, and disregarding the response which a moderator gave earlier in one of those threads, I think it legitimate to wonder if he really wants an answer, if he's rather agitating.

So, sure:  he asked a legitimate question.  And you've raised a legitimate point.  And perhaps my answer satisfies you, perhaps it doesn't.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

It's not relevant to the point I am making but I think the answer Mandryka got is clear enough, and satisfactory to me. Only he can decide if it is satisfactory to him.

Roughly equal parts legitimate question, and shouting his head off.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 19, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
Here you can go whole months here without being aware that some of the posters are also moderators.

That is because those months actually go by without any moderating of members taking place... And that is how it should be...  8)
As I have experienced myself, moderating not seldom creates more problems than it solves.

I think I speak for all moderators in saying that we are first and foremost members of this community, who happen to have taken on the additional duty (burden) of being responsible for keeping the peace and maintaining a safe environment for cordial social interaction.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 19, 2018, 09:54:24 PM

There are no other moderators than the "global moderators".

QuoteI wonder who made the decision about snyprr.

The moderators, who else?  ::)

As to your calling into question of our decision: the moderators are accountable for their actions, namely to each other and to Rob. Any accountability to members and putting any moderating decision up for public debate, including elaborate disclosure of what is going on behind the scenes, would defy its very purpose. There is therefore no trial by jury, neither of the moderators nor of any offender of the forum rules. I rather prefer members to debate musical matters, if you don't mind...

This group has lost members who were upset with the moderation. I for one do not see why such decisions should be unquestioned.

Most members leave because they loose interest, have more important things to do in life or because of altrications with other members. Moderating as a reason to leave comes only after that.

So... what about publicly calling into question the obnoxious behaviour of certain members that drives other members away? Quite legitimate, right?  ;)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on June 20, 2018, 09:20:32 AM

As to your calling into question of our decision:

Not yet.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on June 20, 2018, 09:20:32 AM
That is because those months actually go by without any moderating of members taking place...

That's true and it's perhaps the principal reason for why a sudden outburst of moderating activity might seem unwarranted to some of us.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on June 20, 2018, 12:07:57 PM
That's true and it's perhaps the principal reason for why a sudden outburst of moderating activity might seem unwarranted to some of us.  :D

Yes I expect that's true. I hope they weren't overreacting. Perhaps whatever they were reacting to has been deleated.

knight66

Several folk have wondered about MI, I gather he has discovered a sudden enthusiasm for rock music which he feels altogether pushes his long term classical interests aside. He may well return when he again feels the need for he former pleasures and his friends here. I never have grasped why people repeatedly leave formally then rejoin. Unless there is some terrific bust up, rare, just stop posting for a while and pop back as and when. I have raised my eyebrows at some members who after years here, threw in the towel because they had access problems for a week.

I am not happy that the site search engine has disappeared, though it never has liked Berlioz damn it, but the inability of new people or returning folk to register is the real big problem. I hope that Rob lets us know soon what is or is not going on. So folks, do think about the impulse to leave as, for the moment, there is no way back.

Anyone want a recommendation of a Pergolesi Stabat Mater that I discovered for myself recently, let me know.

Mike

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.