Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I make no such claim, thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

That was a reference to the grand "you" not a reference to the previous post.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on August 30, 2018, 08:16:21 AM
That was a reference to the grand "you" not a reference to the previous post.

All the same, a curious threshold.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2018, 06:33:54 AM
My dear, Andrei, I do hope you did not take my post as somehow harsher than I intended;

Absolutely not, Karl, rest assured --- and in my turn I do hope my replies did not sound like I did. I intended them to be purely humorous and tongue-in-cheek.

QuoteI fear I may owe you an apology.  I never heard or read it, but I also acknowledge that that fact alone is inconclusive—it was only here on GMG that I learnt that ahold is a legitimate English word (which struck my then-under-informed eye as . . . a barbarism).

Fear not, my dear friend. You owe me no apology because I took no offense whatsoever. I am not a native English speaker so I trust on principle its native speakers when they correct me. Plus, it's to you that I owe being acknowledged with an English word which is very apt in many a GMG contexts: kerfuffle.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 10:16:36 AM
Absolutely not, Karl, rest assured --- and in my turn I do hope my replies did not sound like I did. I intended them to be purely humorous and tongue-in-cheek.

Fear not, my dear friend. You owe me no apology because I took no offense whatsoever. I am not a native English speaker so I trust on principle its native speakers when they correct me. Plus, it's to you that I owe being acknowledged with an English word which is very apt in many a GMG contexts: kerfuffle.
It's famously hard to detect the position of the tongue at the time of writing of messages on Internet forums.

Speaking of words picked up from our friend Karl, I've found chortle very apt on GMG quite frequently.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2018, 10:42:16 AM
Agreed on both accounts.

And sometimes I had a vivid feeling that his political rants were mere button-pushing and baiting.

+2

And I had some nice PM communication with him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on August 30, 2018, 10:46:16 AM
It's famously hard to detect the position of the tongue at the time of writing of messages on Internet forums.

Emoticons are a great help in this respect, but sometimes not using one is the equivalent of using the proper one. ( >:D :P)

Speaking of words picked up from our friend Karl, I've found chortle very apt on GMG quite frequently.

Which I often misspelled as chortie:laugh:

vandermolen

What's happened to nodogen?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 10:16:36 AM
[Karl supplied] an English word which is very apt in many a GMG contexts: kerfuffle.

I confess to not being entirely clear as to the difference between a kerfuffle and a ruckuss, and wonder if Karl might offer a thought or two.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

A ruckus requires one person, a kerfuffle requires more than one.

fixed!

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 13, 2018, 11:39:17 AM
A ruckus can be requires one person

I won't start a kerfuffle for (or is it over) this.

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 13, 2018, 11:39:17 AM
A ruckus can be requires one person, a kerfuffle requires more than one.

So two or more ruckuses make a kerfuffle?

EddieRUKiddingVarese

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on September 13, 2018, 11:43:21 AM
I won't start a kerfuffle for (or is it over) this.

Unless I respond, you can only start a ruckus. It is only a kerfuffle if I get into it with you.  0:)

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 13, 2018, 12:00:03 PM
Unless I respond, you can only start a ruckus. It is only a kerfuffle if I get into it with you.  0:)

I see. So in a scenario where I make a ruckus over here, and you make a ruckus over there, we have two ruckuses. But if I make a ruckus and you join my ruckus, we have a kerfuffle.
Yes?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on September 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM
I see. So in a scenario where I make a ruckus over here, and you make a ruckus over there, we have two ruckuses. But if I make a ruckus and you join my ruckus, we have a kerfuffle.
Yes?

That is my claim, a ruckus requires noise, a kerfuffle requires conflict. Two hooligans who are in accord make a bigger ruckus. Two hooligans in opposition make a kerfuffle.

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 13, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
That is my claim, a ruckus requires noise, a kerfuffle requires conflict. Two hooligans who are in accord make a bigger ruckus. Two hooligans in opposition make a kerfuffle.

Yet again, thanks to your goodself, I go to bed more knowledgeable than when I woke up.

Ken B

Brian

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on September 13, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
This is an elegant solution.

vandermolen