Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Cato on January 01, 2019, 10:17:38 AM
Mirror Image wrote to me today, and said he hopes to return: he is listening to Jazz at the moment.

I was recalling two members from long ago: who recalls PINK HARP ?   :D

For those who do not, he or she was absolutely obsessed by Debussy's opera Pelleas et Melisande, and most of the time made comments which invariably led to mentioning how wonderful that particular work was!

Another was S A U L who was similarly obsessed by THE WORLD'S GREATEST COMPOSER...

Mendelssohn!  Music, in his august opinion, which, in his august opinion, was always correct, had not progressed beyond Mendelssohn, and so he pooh-poohed most composers post-1850...

Except for  S A U L himself, who composed some rather simplistic pieces, possibly with the help of "YOU CAN BE A COMPOSER" computer program.   Maybe he has improved since then: ten years or so have gone by, maybe more!  He was from Georgia (the one in Europe) and undoubtedly meant very well.  I do not recall his last name: it resembled Stalin's real name (Dzugashvili) but was different!  0:)

Anyway, both left the forum for various reasons.  S A U L   (I think) felt his works were not properly appreciated here.

John (MI) actually posted in WAYLT yesterday...a Malipiero symphony.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SimonNZ

Quote from: vandermolen on January 01, 2019, 10:34:09 AM
Nordogen?

I think nodogen missed the high-drama knives-out atmosphere of TC

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I thought some here might want to know that John Brosseau has died on January 5 of this year. I think he may have been a participant on this site in the distant past, and he was a participant on another classical music discussion board that some here are or have been members of (member jbuck919).

greg

Quote from: Cato on January 01, 2019, 10:17:38 AM
Mirror Image wrote to me today, and said he hopes to return: he is listening to Jazz at the moment.

I was recalling two members from long ago: who recalls PINK HARP ?   :D

For those who do not, he or she was absolutely obsessed by Debussy's opera Pelleas et Melisande, and most of the time made comments which invariably led to mentioning how wonderful that particular work was!

Another was S A U L who was similarly obsessed by THE WORLD'S GREATEST COMPOSER...

Mendelssohn!  Music, in his august opinion, which, in his august opinion, was always correct, had not progressed beyond Mendelssohn, and so he pooh-poohed most composers post-1850...

Except for  S A U L himself, who composed some rather simplistic pieces, possibly with the help of "YOU CAN BE A COMPOSER" computer program.   Maybe he has improved since then: ten years or so have gone by, maybe more!  He was from Georgia (the one in Europe) and undoubtedly meant very well.  I do not recall his last name: it resembled Stalin's real name (Dzugashvili) but was different!  0:)

Anyway, both left the forum for various reasons.  S A U L   (I think) felt his works were not properly appreciated here.
The good old days lol...
also can't forget Sean, M Forever, and um... Rob Newman...  :P
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

André

I remember jbuck. We exchanged pms in those days. Very sad. :(

Apart from a salute to Karl early in the year, it's been weeks/months since Sergeant Rock has posted in the music threads. What's going on ?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on January 13, 2019, 08:32:08 AMApart from a salute to Karl early in the year, it's been weeks/months since Sergeant Rock has posted in the music threads. What's going on ?

He has been on hiatus in the past, I trust that is the situation again.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 13, 2019, 08:23:35 AM
I thought some here might want to know that John Brosseau has died on January 5 of this year. I think he may have been a participant on this site in the distant past, and he was a participant on another classical music discussion board that some here are or have been members of (member jbuck919).

Very sorry tol to learn this, John visited with me in Boston a few years ago
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on January 13, 2019, 08:32:08 AM
Apart from a salute to Karl early in the year, it's been weeks/months since Sergeant Rock has posted in the music threads. What's going on ?

That's a good question. I have listened to little music in the last few months and I'm not sure why. But I do check in daily to keep up with the group.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Very sad to hear that. John and I had many conversations, some public, most via PM. He was a smart guy, as well as a smartass, just the sort of person I enjoy. I tried hard to talk him out of leaving when he did, hate not getting a chance to try again. :'(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 13, 2019, 01:59:37 PM
That's a good question. I have listened to little music in the last few months and I'm not sure why. But I do check in daily to keep up with the group.

Sarge

Sarge!  Many thanks for replying!!!

Have you checked one of the latest raves here?  Lyatoshynsky?  Also, have you heard the original version of the Rachmaninov Fourth Piano Concerto?  Perhaps those will get you back in the mood?    8)

Many thanks also for listening to my little trio New Year's Resolution !   0:)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Good to see you're still kicking around here, Sarge!

André

shirime

Quote from: greg on January 13, 2019, 08:31:01 AM
Rob Newman...  :P

Mozart is FAKE a CONSPIRACY THEORY and in fact all his compositions were written by CF ABEL, RICHTER, CANNABICH etc etc etc.........

that Rob Newman? :laugh:

SurprisedByBeauty

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: shirime on January 13, 2019, 09:32:54 PM
Mozart is FAKE a CONSPIRACY THEORY and in fact all his compositions were written by CF ABEL, RICHTER, CANNABICH etc etc etc.........

Yes.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Sarge
Well, there is always the what are you eating thread, if you're not on hunger strike.   ;D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: shirime on January 13, 2019, 09:32:54 PM

Oy!  I had almost forgotten about him!   8)    I kept pinching myself while reading his "schizophraniac" pronouncements and thinking: "He cannot be serious!"

But apparently...he was! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on January 13, 2019, 02:39:52 PM
Many thanks also for listening to my little trio New Year's Resolution !   0:)

It's on my desktop. I've listened to it several times with much pleasure.

Quote from: North Star on January 14, 2019, 03:33:17 AM
Well, there is always the what are you eating thread, if you're not on hunger strike.   ;D

;D :D ;D

Actually I almost posted in that thread last night. I'd made, for the first time, Puerto Rican Pernil pork tenderloin.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 14, 2019, 06:19:30 AM
It's on my desktop. I've listened to it several times with much pleasure.

;D :D ;D

Actually I almost posted in that thread last night. I'd made, for the first time, Puerto Rican Pernil pork tenderloin.

Sarge

Green chorizo sausage. Apparently it is made with spinach powder! Vivid green anyway.

Marc

That's very sad to hear. I had some friendly musical conversations with him on CMG. May he rest in peace.