Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Musician on March 19, 2019, 02:50:45 AM
I have not been here for a few yeas because I had nothing to post and then I forgot I was even a member here.  I found this site again by accident googling Dawn Upshaw not that I am a fan anymore but I was curious what she was up to now

I still think Upshaw is one of the greatest voices in classical music. I wish she had done more Debussy and Ravel, though. It'd be quite interesting to hear her in Ravel's Chansons madécasses for example. I'm also rather salivating at the thought of her in Szymanowski's King Roger or his Litany to the Virgin Mary.

vandermolen

I have not been here for a few yeas because I had nothing to post and then I forgot I was even a member here.  I found this site again by accident googling Dawn Upshaw not that I am a fan anymore but I was curious what she was up to now
Good to see you back here anyway.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Welcome back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Musician

Thanks.   Nowadays I post on the ABRSM forum.  I now play the flute or rather am learning

Karl Henning

Quote from: Musician on March 19, 2019, 04:09:05 PM
Thanks.   Nowadays I post on the ABRSM forum.  I now play the flute or rather am learning

Cool, I just finished a piece for flute, viola & harp
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Whatever happened to Elgarian Redux? He made a brief reappearance and then fell into complete silence again.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2019, 03:53:38 AM
Whatever happened to Elgarian Redux? He made a brief reappearance and then fell into complete silence again.

Good question. He just vanished --- like vapor.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2019, 03:53:38 AM

It would be wonderful if he returned, but he has always been an on-again, off-again poster. When he does visit he is one of the most insightful participants. I hope he is doing well and will visit again soon.

Elgarian Redux

Actually I do look in occasionally, but for a while I don't seem to have had anything to say. I've been less active in recent months because both my wife and I have been ill, but also I haven't been listening to classical music at all recently. Not even Elgar. I have no idea why this is.

During these difficult times, I have found Red Dead Redemption II to be an escapist godsend. I wonder if there's a games section on GMG. I shall investigate.

The new erato

All the best to you both!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 07, 2019, 01:45:29 AM
Actually I do look in occasionally, but for a while I don't seem to have had anything to say. I've been less active in recent months because both my wife and I have been ill, but also I haven't been listening to classical music at all recently. Not even Elgar. I have no idea why this is.

During these difficult times, I have found Red Dead Redemption II to be an escapist godsend. I wonder if there's a games section on GMG. I shall investigate.

Sorry to hear of both you and your wife's illnesses. I hope you both get better. As for not listening to classical music for awhile, I can certainly relate as, popular to contrary belief, I have other musical interests besides classical music. I'm actually starting to get the itch again to start exploring another genre. As for gaming, I have phases where I'll play a game (esp. if it's one I like a lot) for awhile only to turn around and not play for weeks at a time. I have a Nintendo Switch and haven't upgraded my Playstation 3 to the 4 yet, but I'm actually considering it because of all the great games that are exclusive to this system. The problem with buying one now is I'm afraid it'll become obsolete not long after I buy it. :)

As for a gaming thread, here you go: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,16297.0.html

P.S. It's good to see you still kicking around here.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on April 07, 2019, 01:45:29 AM

Good to see you back, even if just to explain your absence. I hope illness is behind you.

Florestan

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

I was wondering about Harry too. Hope all is ok with him.

Florestan

He was last active on Saturday.

StarThrower62

I've still got both arms and legs!  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: StarThrower62 on April 11, 2019, 08:35:09 AM
I've still got both arms and legs!  :D

Your screen name looks familiar. Would you perhaps be from Talk Classical?

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

some guy

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 29, 2019, 07:51:06 AM
When he does visit he is one of the most insightful participants.
Indeed.

And it is more than splendid to see him posting recently.