Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szykneij

I haven't posted in a very long time, but this thread has taken a turn of special interest to me. As someone who has gone from teaching to administration (one reason why my GMG time has become more limited), I've discovered a troubling trend here and I'm curious to know if it exists elsewhere.
  Whenever I've had to hire a new art teacher for the district, a large number of very qualified candidates have applied and the selection process has been difficult due to the excellent credentials and impressive interviews of the individuals.  Recent openings in our music department, though, have elicited a minimal number of responses meeting the necessary criteria for the positions. Given that there are numerous good college level institutions with music education programs within a very small radius to where I am (New England Conservatory, Boston Conservatory, Berklee, Boston University, UMass Boston and Lowell, Gordon College, and others), I'm worried about the future of music education in our schools. I hope this is just a temporary anomaly and not indicative of things to come.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Quote from: Szykneij on September 30, 2019, 03:30:40 AM
I haven't posted in a very long time, but this thread has taken a turn of special interest to me. As someone who has gone from teaching to administration (one reason why my GMG time has become more limited), I've discovered a troubling trend here and I'm curious to know if it exists elsewhere.
  Whenever I've had to hire a new art teacher for the district, a large number of very qualified candidates have applied and the selection process has been difficult due to the excellent credentials and impressive interviews of the individuals.  Recent openings in our music department, though, have elicited a minimal number of responses meeting the necessary criteria for the positions. Given that there are numerous good college level institutions with music education programs within a very small radius to where I am (New England Conservatory, Boston Conservatory, Berklee, Boston University, UMass Boston and Lowell, Gordon College, and others), I'm worried about the future of music education in our schools. I hope this is just a temporary anomaly and not indicative of things to come.

Hey, there, Tony!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

I assume you are looking for grade-school or high-school Music teachers?

My Catholic grade school hired a new young first-year teacher last year: she jumped right in and was a sterling success, proven by her ability to mount a Disney musical with over 40 kids in the cast in her first year with no prior experience!

However...

She has told me that she accumulated $120,000 in student debt at a public university: one Math book for a course which was required for General Education requirements cost...$600.00.   :o  Absolutely ridiculous, and telling me that the professor involved was an idiot and a mumser!

Anyway, the result - according to her - is that few are going into Music to become teachers or professors: the pay just makes it illogical as a career choice.

Why Art teachers, who might (one would assume) suffer the same fate, are NOT scarce in your area is difficult to explain: perhaps they have skills to be used in advertising, computer design, etc.(?)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Good to see you back here. I was aware that you hadn't posted for a long time.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Szykneij

Hi Cato -

Yes, grade school and high school level. I'm glad to hear of your school's success.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

Szykneij

Quote from: vandermolen on September 30, 2019, 07:38:51 AM
Good to see you back here. I was aware that you hadn't posted for a long time.

Thanks, and thanks for noticing. I never really left, but limited myself to reading without posting.

JBS

Good to see you, Tony!

The grammatician in me feels obliged to point out the correct spelling is mamzer  with a zayin, not mumser with a samekh.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: JBS on September 30, 2019, 11:55:31 AM
Good to see you, Tony!

The grammatician in me feels obliged to point out the correct spelling is mamzer  with a zayin, not mumser with a samekh.

Oy!  Transliteration, translottaration!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

What happened to RebLem? He was last active in January (!). I hope he's fine. His posts were always informative and interesting.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on October 02, 2019, 03:05:33 AM
What happened to RebLem? He was last active in January (!). I hope he's fine. His posts were always informative and interesting.

He used to be active in CMG too, but nor has he visited that site since 20.jan.19, about the same time as here.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Moonfish

Did Mirror Image leave GMG forever?  I miss his illuminating posts and continuous buying frenzy of interesting recordings!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2019, 11:23:54 PM
Did Mirror Image leave GMG forever?  I miss his illuminating posts and continuous buying frenzy of interesting recordings!

Quite possible. One shit got very nasty to John. Very. Not just to John either. Like a belligerent drunk and made a moderator from the same city feel threatened.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on October 11, 2019, 11:59:31 PM
Quite possible. One shit got very nasty to John. Very. Not just to John either. Like a belligerent drunk and made a moderator from the same city feel threatened.

Very much agree with you. The level of unkindness was extreme and I remember thinking at the time that John would probably not return to the forum. I miss him as he was a good and very generous friend and we shared similar musical tastes. I also found cilgwyn's sudden deletion of his membership, without any obvious reason, to be dispiriting. In the case of John (MI) his disappearance was sadly unsurprising.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

+1. I've been on the receiving end of his drunken diatribes too but simply ignored him.

Now that the shit is gone, maybe John will consider coming back?

Ken B

Quote from: André on October 12, 2019, 06:58:43 AM
+1. I've been on the receiving end of his drunken diatribes too but simply ignored him.

Sad to say, I doubt it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 07:25:18 AM
Sad to say, I doubt it.

Me too - but it would be nice if he did return.

SymphonicAddict

I also miss MI's posts, though I confess he likes to drawn attention when always says he leaves the site.

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on October 12, 2019, 06:58:43 AM

Quote from: Ken B on October 12, 2019, 07:25:18 AM
Sad to say, I doubt it.

That's too bad.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Lest we forget, MI behaved very badly towards certain members, and moderators, so I think it is wrong to glorify his postings in such grandiose terms.
I miss some of his postings, but certainly not all.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."