Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

That is so sad. As with cilgwyn there is no obvious reason I can think of. I really enjoyed the exchanges with Cesar. Maybe there's a secret GMG defectors group somewhere in the outer fringes of cyber-space featuring cilgwyn, Symphonic Addict and Pohjola's Daughter etcetera.
:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2019, 06:30:24 AM
That is so sad. As with cilgwyn there is no obvious reason I can think of. I really enjoyed the exchanges with Cesar. Maybe there's a secret GMG defectors group somewhere in the outer fringes of cyber-space featuring cilgwyn, Symphonic Addict and Pohjola's Daughter etcetera.

That would be interesting ---- my only is Luke, Octave, and Dancing Divertimentian are there as well. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2019, 06:36:13 AM
That would be interesting ---- my only is Luke, Octave, and Dancing Divertimentian are there as well. :)
Not to mention Lethevich and many others.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2019, 07:22:20 AM
Not to mention Lethevich and many others.

Yes, how I miss Lethevich --- I haven't thought about her in years. What a smart member she was!

Cato

I have tried several times (and I think Karl has also) to persuade Luke Ottevanger to return.  His wife offers a few hints about what's happening with the family on FaceBook, where he also is silent.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2019, 06:30:24 AM
+ 1, you think so?

BTW, I always felt that anonymousness here - I myself find it very hard to recall who's whom, which musical friend is hiding behind each of these masks, not to mention proper names - has also contributed to the easiness with which some of us tend to disappear again. Even after years, one is hardly 'known' here except by an active inner circle, consisting of no more than two dozens of members, IMHO.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 18, 2019, 03:03:00 PM
+ 1, you think so?

BTW, I always felt that anonymousness here - I myself find it very hard to recall who's whom, which musical friend is hiding behind each of these masks, not to mention proper names - has also contributed to the easiness with which some of us tend to disappear again. Even after years, one is hardly 'known' here except by an active inner circle, consisting of no more than two dozens of members, IMHO.  ::)

Unfortunately, it's quite true that there's only a handful of members who actually know who the other is whether it is from a Facebook page or they have actually met in the real world. It is difficult to get beyond the avatars with so many members fading in and out, but, at the very least, we can identify each other, especially those who have been members of the forum for a number years.

kyjo

I believe SA is active on another classical forum under a different name, so I messaged him there asking about his whereabouts and telling him that we all miss him already! Hopefully he responds...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2019, 08:10:32 PM
I believe SA is active on another classical forum under a different name, so I messaged him there asking about his whereabouts and telling him that we all miss him already! Hopefully he responds...

Very good. Crossing our fingers.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2019, 08:33:22 PM
Very good. Crossing our fingers.
+1
Yes, well done Kyle and thank you for doing that.

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2019, 08:24:48 AM
Yes, how I miss Lethevich --- I haven't thought about her in years. What a smart member she was!
She was, and I enjoyed her contributions very much. Yet always felt that 'she' was hiding another identity behind her well-kept mask.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 19, 2019, 04:55:38 AM
She was, and I enjoyed her contributions very much. Yet always felt that 'she' was hiding another identity behind her well-kept mask.  ;D

Well, the impersonal nature of any forum is bound to make one feel that way. Like, for example, you really don't know who I am even if we are friends on Facebook. ;)

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2019, 08:59:15 AM
Well, the impersonal nature of any forum is bound to make one feel that way. Like, for example, you really don't know who I am even if we are friends on Facebook. ;)
I would still recognize you if I met you in the dark of night in the big shouq of Bangalore.  ???

Ratliff

Quote from: Christo on November 19, 2019, 09:28:25 AM
I would still recognize you if I met you in the dark of night in the big shouq of Bangalore.  ???

The guy carrying 17 iPods?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 19, 2019, 09:28:25 AM

You're probably right! :D

Quote from: Ratliff on November 19, 2019, 09:52:01 AM

Yep, that would be me! Classical on-the-go is always a nice idea. ;D

Mirror Image

This forum sure does feel a bit more empty without SymphonicAddict here.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ratliff on November 19, 2019, 09:52:01 AM

You mean the Sibelius t-shirts, pants and socks?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 19, 2019, 10:32:06 PM
You mean the Sibelius t-shirts, pants and socks?
John changes his shirt every time he changes his avatar. Hard to miss a guy changing four times on a twenty minute bus ride.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 19, 2019, 04:55:38 AM
+1

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 19, 2019, 04:30:05 PM
This forum sure does feel a bit more empty without SymphonicAddict here.
Yes and also cilgwyn as I largely shared musical tastes with the two of them. I especially miss cilgwyn's posts full of humorous contextual information about his life.