Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

I am just wondering how many of you seemingly middle aged men are in reality attractive young women who see the site as a refuge from online harassment :-*.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 19, 2019, 10:32:06 PM
You mean the Sibelius t-shirts, pants and socks?

Quote from: Ken B on November 19, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
John changes his shirt every time he changes his avatar. Hard to miss a guy changing four times on a twenty minute bus ride.

:P

Quote from: vandermolen on November 19, 2019, 11:40:15 PM
Yes and also cilgwyn as I largely shared musical tastes with the two of them. I especially miss cilgwyn's posts full of humorous contextual information about his life.

Indeed and, while cilgwyn's punctuation-challenged posts drove me crazy sometimes, they were always full of insight and, as you wrote, humor.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 2dogs on November 20, 2019, 05:15:40 AM
I am just wondering how many of you seemingly middle aged men are in reality attractive young women who see the site as a refuge from online harassment :-*.

If I was an attractive young woman, I definitely wouldn't even be online. I'd be getting free meals from guys who can't help but make fools of themselves in front of me. :D Oh wait, this is the usual scenario for the women I date. ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 07:32:28 AM
If I was an attractive young woman, I definitely wouldn't even be online. I'd be getting free meals from guys who can't help but make fools of themselves in front of me. :D Oh wait, this is the usual scenario for the women I date. ;D
Actually I am a stunningly attractive young woman. I would like to send you photos but I need to pay the taxes in Somalia first. If you just send me the money ...

Ratliff

Quote from: Ken B on November 20, 2019, 08:17:06 AM
Actually I am a stunningly attractive young woman. I would like to send you photos but I need to pay the taxes in Somalia first. If you just send me the money ...

Taxes have been too high in Somalia ever since Yovanovitch was posted there and ruined the country...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on November 20, 2019, 08:17:06 AM

:o Since I'm sending you some money, do I get first choice of which butt cheek I'm going to kiss first? :P

Cato

Was it Robert Newman who openly wrote about dating his students   ???   :o  ???  in China or Singapore?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on November 20, 2019, 10:39:07 AM
Was it Robert Newman who openly wrote about dating his students   ???   :o  ???  in China or Singapore?

That would be Sean, methinks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 07:30:02 AM
Indeed and, while cilgwyn's punctuation-challenged posts drove me crazy sometimes, they were always full of insight and, as you wrote, humor.
Oh, but his punctuation even more so than his stream-of-consciousness-like argument, but both of them actually, always made me feel almost at home in your language.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on November 20, 2019, 01:00:05 PM
Oh, but his punctuation even more so than his stream-of-consciousness-like argument, but both of them actually, always made me feel almost at home in your language.  :D

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 07:32:28 AM

LOL! :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: 2dogs on November 20, 2019, 05:15:40 AM
How quaint. As an elderly old fairy I'm desperate to have any of you (seemingly?) middle aged men harrass me.
And don't try and tell me all you opera lovers are straight.

steve ridgway

Sorry, I just looked at the label in my jeans and it says "Straight" :P.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: 2dogs on November 22, 2019, 10:07:23 PM
Sorry, I just looked at the label in my jeans and it says "Straight" :P.
Well then, you'd better no lose your jeans.

jess

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on November 22, 2019, 08:41:56 PM
How quaint. As an elderly old fairy I'm desperate to have any of you (seemingly?) middle aged men harrass me.
And don't try and tell me all you opera lovers are straight.
as a woman in her early 20s who is a fan of opera I can confirm with you that I am not exactly straight................

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2011, 05:45:58 AM

After a two year break I returned here a couple of months ago and started a number of threads about lesser-known composers: the area I mainly dealt in when I was active between 2007 and 2009.
I hope/d through these to encourage some interest in these composers.

My threads on Boris Blacher got 4 replies, Wilfred Josephs 2, Hans Gal 5, Halvor Haug 7, Randall Thompson 7 and Paul von Klenau precisely zero. Some of these replies were actually from me responding to a
comment.
There comes a point when one begins to wonder whether it is actually worth posting at all about the sort of composers who interest me :( I-frankly-am not terribly interested in commenting about the 25th version
of a Mahler symphony which someone has bought....but that is just me ;D
Being new to this site I have no idea why links aren't given to recordings on Youtube etc. Forum policy? Most of my listening is done either at live concerts or on my main system which is not connected to the web, not via Youtube etc I've found on music forums it's assists greatly to have immediate access to an example of a particular work someone is posting about. OK, the sonics may be crap and some may see handing around these links deprives artists of financial reward. Myself I have no problem with this as most of my music purchases over the last decade or so have resulted from auditioning them on sites such as Youtube. I'd be grateful if anyone can tell my why posters here only provide the graphics for recordings. Are we supposed to go out and buy/download every single one to learn what they're talking about or find out if we may or may not agree with their recommendation?

Papy Oli

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on November 23, 2019, 02:33:17 AM
Being new to this site I have no idea why links aren't given to recordings on Youtube etc. Forum policy? Most of my listening is done either at live concerts or on my main system which is not connected to the web, not via Youtube etc I've found on music forums it's assists greatly to have immediate access to an example of a particular work someone is posting about. OK, the sonics may be crap and some may see handing around these links deprive artists of financial reward. Myself I have no problem with this as most of my music purchases over the last decade or so have resulted from auditioning them on sites such as Youtube. I'd be grateful if anyone can tell my why posters here only provide the graphics for recordings. Are we supposed to go out and buy/download every single one to learn what they're talking about or find out if we may or may not agree with their recommendation?

Many members will use the graphics from the Amazon ASIN link because that can ultimately bring some money for the running of this site to the owner :#

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,6.0.html

There is nothing preventing us posting some embedded links to Youtube as well :

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2663.0.html

Olivier

steve ridgway

The Amazon link is just a very quick and easy way of posting what you're listening to or purchasing, as you only need copy in the ASIN number from their website, and it displays the album cover nicely. YouTube is great for checking music out more thoroughly than the Amazon 30 second samples before buying, it's saved me wasting a lot of money on things I don't actually like.

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 23, 2019, 02:44:29 AM
Many members will use the graphics from the Amazon ASIN link because that can ultimately bring some money for the running of this site to the owner :#

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,6.0.html
On the above link we are told "You will notice a small banner for Amazon.com near the top of every page. I would ask that if you already buy your music, or any other items, from Amazon, please access Amazon by using these links. Amazon tracks the refering website (in this case GMG) and credits the site with a small commission on all items sold (currently about 6%). It costs you no more to buy from Amazon using this link, but that commission helps defray some of the costs of the forum."[/i]
On my Macs, all running the latest version of OSX I see no reference to  Amazon . Is this my problem or something else?

SimonNZ

King Ubu seems to have been absent longer that usual. Has anyone heard from him?