Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Moonfish on November 27, 2019, 08:48:09 PM
I should delete my account and rejoin. It is clearly a great PR strategy.....      0:)

Good idea!  >:D

In my personal case it's been very gratifying to read the warm messages of some members here.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on November 28, 2019, 09:52:57 AM
I was there at the beginning, too, but under a different name. And then I left. And came back. I was less consistent than the Founding Fathers  :D.

Indeed you were, possibly under a couple of different names. Carmen springs to mind, and another before that. There were a couple of others here for a long time from those days, sadly gone now. But the broader point is that people come and go all the time, so I've learned not to worry about it. Gone today, here tomorrow. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

André

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 29, 2019, 07:19:36 AM
Indeed you were, possibly under a couple of different names. Carmen springs to mind, and another before that. There were a couple of others here for a long time from those days, sadly gone now. But the broader point is that people come and go all the time, so I've learned not to worry about it. Gone today, here tomorrow. :)

8)

Carmen?  :laugh:

It was Lilas Pastia (from Carmen, of course).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on November 29, 2019, 07:25:11 AM
Carmen?  :laugh:

It was Lilas Pastia (from Carmen, of course).

I knew that, I was amusing myself at your expense. :D :D  Always really liked that song, esp. the way Callas did it. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 29, 2019, 07:19:36 AM

8)

Lilas Pastia ?...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2019, 10:36:52 AM
Lilas Pastia ?...

In my post-turkey torpor, I see I am too slow, again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

dissily Mordentroge

Quote from: Madiel on November 25, 2019, 01:49:44 AM
I am not straight.

But alas, neither am I an opera lover.
Probably should be another thread but there are different kinds of opera lovers. Me, I find it much easier to sink into the music without the visuals. Put me in an opera audience and often the whole 'reality' falls apart to such an extent I'm overcome with giggles. Scenes with the hero/heroin gutsily rendering an aria having been mortally stabbed for instance I find too silly for words. But then again the final scene of Shakespeare's 'Romeo & Juliet' falls apart for me too.
There are a few exceptions though, Bartok's  'Bluebeard's Castle' amongst them. Possibley because I experience it as something like a sub-conscious drama.

Oh, and I'm not straight either.

Madiel

Quote from: Ken B on November 28, 2019, 06:59:05 AM
You mean the other guy from the same place with that same avatar and Vagn Holmboe link? We would never have guessed!   :laugh:

I could change the avatar and THEN where would you be?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

It appears that Ken B has left the forum....

I just wanted to make clear that he was not banned or asked to leave.

Q

André

That's too bad, really  :(.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Que on December 23, 2019, 03:59:40 PM
It appears that Ken B has left the forum....

I just wanted to make clear that he was not banned or asked to leave.

Q

He left on his own, but more than likely left due to your magic eraser and favoritism.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2019, 07:00:34 PM
He left on his own, but more than likely left due to your magic eraser and favoritism.

Yes, well I've always known that protecting a vulnerable person from bullying is a form of favoritism. Good point, and a timely reminder for us all... ::)

8)

Madiel

And what about the magic eraser part?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on December 23, 2019, 07:20:49 PM
And what about the magic eraser part?

I couldn't argue that, I didn't know WTF he was talking about. :-\

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 23, 2019, 07:23:44 PM
I couldn't argue that, I didn't know WTF he was talking about. :-\

8)

The tendency of moderators to delete posts, in the weird belief that it erases memories a la Men in Black.

You're also in the running to win an award for most inappropriate use of emojis...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 23, 2019, 07:12:25 PM
Yes, well I've always known that protecting a vulnerable person from bullying is a form of favoritism. Good point, and a timely reminder for us all... ::)

8)

No one here who had an objection to this member's endless threads bullied him, Gurn. If we're bullies for bringing up our annoyance, then, by golly, we need to be taken outside and horsewhipped but how could I forget that this isn't the moderators' style here is it? You guys would rather erase history than actually acknowledge those members who had a legitimate complaint. There were four members (Ken B, San Antone, Symphonic Addict, and myself) who took issue with Carlo Gesualdo. If you're making light of the situation and these complaints mean nothing to you, then you really should be stripped of your moderator title and actually give it to someone who does care about the concerns of these members.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on December 23, 2019, 07:29:04 PM
The tendency of moderators to delete posts, in the weird belief that it erases memories a la Men in Black.

You're also in the running to win an award for most inappropriate use of emojis...

That's a great analogy. :D It's also how I feel. I'm really tired of seeing my posts deleted when I said nothing wrong.

JBS

Quote from: André on December 23, 2019, 06:28:04 PM
That's too bad, really  :(.

I must confess that Ken's sense of humor and style of argument often grated on me, to put it diplomatically. So I can't bring myself to be sorrowful at his departure.

But one new member seems to have disappeared, and I do miss him.  dissily Mordentroge was last here on December 17

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2019, 07:32:44 PM
That's a great analogy. :D It's also how I feel. I'm really tired of seeing my posts deleted when I said nothing wrong.

Well, for the sake of argument, if the moderators did consider you to have said something wrong then in my view it would be far more helpful and informative for it to be a matter of public record as to what the moderators thought.