Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

There's been another one.

As has been noted elsewhere, SimonNZ's departure has been unexpectedly erased from history. Which is nice for those who lamented Simon's departure, though possibly not in accordance with his own wishes...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on June 03, 2020, 06:21:24 PM
There's been another one.

As has been noted elsewhere, SimonNZ's departure has been unexpectedly erased from history. Which is nice for those who lamented Simon's departure, though possibly not in accordance with his own wishes...

Don't worry, he's returned.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

Well that's good. The gods of PHP code clearly were unhappy about the situation.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Quote from: Madiel on June 03, 2020, 06:21:24 PM

Why not welcome him back?  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Papy Oli

Hopefully Fergus/Aligreto must be busy in his garden or DIY'ing again, not been on this month...  :(
Olivier

Florestan

Baron Scarpia / Ratliff deleted (again) his account and it looks like the reason is disagreement with (one of the) mods over the newly created political thread. If this is true then it's more proof, if any was still needed, that for some people politics (and having their own way with it) is the main motivation of being here, not music.

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 07:07:48 AM
Baron Scarpia / Ratliff deleted (again) his account and it looks like the reason is disagreement with (one of the) mods over the newly created political thread. If this is true then it's more proof, if any was still needed, that for some people politics (and having their own way with it) is the main motivation of being here, not music.

I tend to agree with this.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Oh well...gone again, eh? :( I liked Scarpia and if he did leave because of the political thread(s), then, yes, it is proof that he wasn't here to discuss music and further illustrates my own point about how nothing can be gained on a MUSIC FORUM from political discussion of any kind. I agree with what San Antonio wrote on the new US politics, which the post is apparently deleted but he basically said that political threads have done more harm than good in the effect that it has turned more people against each other rather than bringing them together.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 07:14:49 AM
Oh well...gone again, eh? :( I liked Scarpia and if he did leave because of the political thread(s), then, yes, it is proof that he wasn't here to discuss music and further illustrates my own point about how nothing can be gained on a MUSIC FORUM from political discussion of any kind. I agree with what San Antonio wrote on the new US politics, which the post is apparently deleted but he basically said that political threads have done more harm than good in the effect that it has turned more people against each other than bring people together.

Can you guess what topic, after politics, is the second most divisive and likely to turn people against each other here on GMG? :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 07:17:37 AM
Can you guess what topic, after politics, is the second most divisive and likely to turn people against each other here on GMG? :D

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey historical memoirs? ;) :P

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 07:26:02 AM
The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey historical memoirs? ;) :P

That's the third. I was asking for the second.  :P

DaveF

Baron Scarpia / Ratliff deleted (again) his account...

Almost the last thing he did was to give me some extremely helpful advice on setting up a hi-fi system.  Thanks for that, Scarpia, if you're back having a quick lurk.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Florestan

Quote from: DaveF on June 11, 2020, 07:28:26 AM
Almost the last thing he did was to give me some extremely helpful advice on setting up a hi-fi system. 

He is indeed very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff. Also a fine music connoisseur. If he could only have stuck with that and avoided politics altogether...

Mirror Image

premont

Quote from: "Harry" on June 11, 2020, 07:14:01 AM
I tend to agree with this.

So do I, but still Scarpia made some interesting posts about music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 07:36:18 AM
So do I, but still Scarpia made some interesting posts about music.

Indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 07:27:21 AM
That's the third. I was asking for the second:P

Must be HIP/non-HIP discussions. ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 07:40:54 AM
Must be HIP/non-HIP discussions. ;)

Actually, HIP/non-HIP discussions is a subset of that larger topic.  ;)

knight66

I have seen nothing as combustable as a war that broke out about Haydn Quartets, that must have been about 15 years ago. I was fairly stunned at what I was reading and thought that Haydn would have been too.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 07:43:10 AM
Actually, HIP/non-HIP discussions is a subset of that larger topic.  ;)

This topic can be thought on in several ways, what about "true to the score vs. subjectivity"?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν