Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 11, 2020, 03:56:47 PM
I do hope that the Baron and, if there are issues, Aligreto, do come back.  Busy at my end so don't have much time/energy to post at the moment, but do care about this forum and wish for peace.  There are so many contributors here whose contributions I value.   :)

Please, let us be kind to one another....life is so short and remember, we came here for the love of music.  Life is hard right now and we're all stressed-out.  What about being there for one another?  Give it a think.....

All the best,

PD

Beautifully said, with special attention to the bolded part. Many of my friends (including a lot of musicians) have had their whole livelihoods yanked out from under them for the foreseeable future. And never mind other stresses about aging family members, the fate of the country, etc.

Quote from: André on June 11, 2020, 04:37:03 PM
We need more women posters on this forum.
So, so true. I think about this often.

--Bruce

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 10:10:13 AM
I have come to the conclusion that when I hit 50,000 posts, I'm going to retire from the forum. I've just reconnected with some folks at Talk Classical and all is going pretty well I must say.

With respect, this seems a bit arbitrary, like deciding that a conversation has to end after a set number of words. If you're still getting something out of it, keep posting.

I had to go look at what your post count was (and the answer was alarming in this context). It's just a number. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why the software cares.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 11, 2020, 03:56:47 PM
I do hope that the Baron and, if there are issues, Aligreto, do come back.  Busy at my end so don't have much time/energy to post at the moment, but do care about this forum and wish for peace.  There are so many contributors here whose contributions I value.   :)

Please, let us be kind to one another....life is so short and remember, we came here for the love of music.  Life is hard right now and we're all stressed-out.  What about being there for one another?  Give it a think.....

All the best,

PD
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 12, 2020, 12:47:16 AM
With respect, this seems a bit arbitrary, like deciding that a conversation has to end after a set number of words. If you're still getting something out of it, keep posting.

I had to go look at what your post count was (and the answer was alarming in this context). It's just a number. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why the software cares.

Perhaps you're right, Madiel. Maybe I'll just continue to post, but much less. ;)

steve ridgway

I think it's time for me to drop off here. I've added enough music to my collection to satisfy me and have cycled all the way round to the non-classical I grew up with again. I also only concentrate on a couple of forums at at a time, and have departed another old forum in favour of a very active one for a new interest plus another I hadn't been on for 18 months but want to revisit.

Papy Oli

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 20, 2020, 08:58:52 PM
I think it's time for me to drop off here. I've added enough music to my collection to satisfy me and have cycled all the way round to the non-classical I grew up with again. I also only concentrate on a couple of forums at at a time, and have departed another old forum in favour of a very active one for a new interest plus another I hadn't been on for 18 months but want to revisit.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to see you go.

I enjoyed and i am grateful for our exchanges on the non-classical  thread and your recommendations.

Enjoy your new interest and rekindled ones.

See you around some time maybe.
Olivier

André

Nice farewell post, Steve. Hopefully it's not an adieu !

Take care!

MusicTurner

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 20, 2020, 08:58:52 PM

You might pop in from time to time? There's been some interesting posts from you ...

steve ridgway

Thanks guys, yes I could drop by now and again. Take care and enjoy your listening. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 21, 2020, 08:36:06 PM
Thanks guys, yes I could drop by now and again. Take care and enjoy your listening. 8)

adieu and farewell from me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 11:02:46 AM
Well, when the members here are dropping like flies and heading to Talk Classical, then, yes, I'll go where there's a better environment.

Well, I miss your posts John and hope that you'll drop by from time to time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on September 21, 2020, 08:36:06 PM
Take care and enjoy your new (latest) voyage!  :)

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2020, 10:58:40 PM
Well, I miss your posts John and hope that you'll drop by from time to time.

+1 :(

I've also missed (Ghost of) Baron Scarpia's posts recently. He appears to have deleted his account...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Madiel

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2020, 08:17:40 PM

I've also missed (Ghost of) Baron Scarpia's posts recently. He appears to have deleted his account...

Would not surprise me. He was planning to be out of here, then came back a bit, but it wouldn't have taken much to leave completely.

I don't really get the whole account deletion strategy, but it seems a common approach on GMG to send the message that you're gone.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

mc ukrneal

Doubt he'll be back after the way it ended. Check these:
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29894.msg1296487.html#msg1296487
https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,28827.msg1296752.html#msg1296752
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Scion7

" members here are dropping like flies " - is a bit dramatic - GMG seems just as healthy as ever
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

I'm sorry about that as well.

MN Dave

What happened to that snyprr guy?
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff