Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ritter on July 07, 2021, 10:19:03 AM
Good to know you're doing well and busy with your art, Gurn. Best of luck with that!  :)

Regards,

Rafael

Thanks, mi amigo. Estoy un trenzador, a little known fact outside my gaucho friends. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

André

Any art show coming up, Mike ?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on July 07, 2021, 10:56:41 AM
Any art show coming up, Mike ?

No, we are doing rodeos now, the last couple have been very successful, it seems we have found a niche. Big one coming up in early August, and the last one wiped out our inventory. The art show crowd could never get past 'oh, that's beautiful' far enough to pull out their wallets. The rodeo people are 'I'll take 2 of those and 3 of those there'. Gotta love that. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 07, 2021, 12:04:06 PM
No, we are doing rodeos now, the last couple have been very successful, it seems we have found a niche. Big one coming up in early August, and the last one wiped out our inventory. The art show crowd could never get past 'oh, that's beautiful' far enough to pull out their wallets. The rodeo people are 'I'll take 2 of those and 3 of those there'. Gotta love that. :)

8)

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

8)

Do you have a website where you show off your wares?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 07, 2021, 03:13:35 PM
Do you have a website where you show off your wares?

Sadly, no. It's in the offing though. I want to get it done right the first time since I figure if not, someone won't come back. So possibly pretty soon. :)

8)

André

Keep us posted, then !  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

8)
What kind of art do you do Mike?

And I'm glad that you're doing well at the rodeos!  Only ever been to one of those before (as a kid).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

This reminds me of a painter I knew who specialized in paintings of motorcycles, because she could go to Harley rallies/outings in small towns and people would buy up every painting she brought. They loved having good paintings of their bikes. She said they'd just strap 'em right on the back and ride home with them.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2021, 07:11:28 AM
What kind of art do you do Mike?

And I'm glad that you're doing well at the rodeos!  Only ever been to one of those before (as a kid).  :)

PD

Hey,. PD,

My wife carves and paints leather pictures, and we frame them up in unusual ways, with the hangers made from braided leather. She makes lots of little carved leather earrings and doo-dads that people who can't afford a picture buy up by the handful. I braid leather horse and dog accessories, hatbands, bracelets, key leashes, all in Argentinian style with various knots and braided buttons. It's a dying art form, but still surprisingly vital in parts of the world where horse and cattle raising are still dominant. Braiding is an amazingly relaxing, yet highly challenging occupation.  🤠

😎

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on July 08, 2021, 07:20:44 AM
This reminds me of a painter I knew who specialized in paintings of motorcycles, because she could go to Harley rallies/outings in small towns and people would buy up every painting she brought. They loved having good paintings of their bikes. She said they'd just strap 'em right on the back and ride home with them.

Niches are especially nice when they match your own interests!  We did do all sorts of pictures, but if Western art sells, then that's what we'll do! 😊🤠

😎

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 08, 2021, 08:18:40 AM
Hey,. PD,

My wife carves and paints leather pictures, and we frame them up in unusual ways, with the hangers made from braided leather. She makes lots of little carved leather earrings and doo-dads that people who can't afford a picture buy up by the handful. I braid leather horse and dog accessories, hatbands, bracelets, key leashes, all in Argentinian style with various knots and braided buttons. It's a dying art form, but still surprisingly vital in parts of the world where horse and cattle raising are still dominant. Braiding is an amazingly relaxing, yet highly challenging occupation.  🤠

😎
Neat!   :) Have you ever tried belts or handbags?  I googled something like Argentina braided leather and found all kinds of beautiful looking things.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2021, 08:55:09 AM
Neat!   :) Have you ever tried belts or handbags?  I googled something like Argentina braided leather and found all kinds of beautiful looking things.

PD

I do belts sometimes, but really, I hate working in what we call "flat leather"; knife sheaths, holsters and the like. There are still places in the world where the art is popular, most are in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay are tops, in that order), but possibly surprisingly, perhaps, Australia is really quite big, and of course, Texas and California, but Oregon sneaks in there too. Each region has its own style, but I prefer Argentina above all. :)

8)

Mirror Image

Well, I've now reached 55,555 posts! How about that ladies and gentlemen? This is cause for a toast! [Grabs glass with sweet iced tea.] Cheers! :D

Yours truly,

The Textbook Narcissist

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2021, 08:06:46 PM
Well, I've now reached 55,555 posts! How about that ladies and gentlemen? This is cause for a toast! [Grabs glass with sweet iced tea.] Cheers! :D

Yours truly,

The Textbook Narcissist

I googled it - good luck. :P

55555 indicates that a drastic change is soon about to hit your life and that you have to be ready to not just face it, but embrace it as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on July 08, 2021, 09:43:34 PM
I googled it - good luck. :P

55555 indicates that a drastic change is soon about to hit your life and that you have to be ready to not just face it, but embrace it as well.

Well, I'm past 55,555 now. ;) Hopefully, the curse is lifted. :P

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2021, 05:55:32 AM

Nobody expected you to stay on a plateau, John !  :D Keep 'em coming !

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on July 09, 2021, 06:02:16 AM
Nobody expected you to stay on a plateau, John !  :D Keep 'em coming !

Hah! Thanks, Andre! 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 09, 2021, 05:55:32 AM
You need to be more worried about the 66,666 ones, based on the Omen film  >:D
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 09, 2021, 06:21:18 AM
You need to be more worried about the 66,666 ones, based on the Omen film  >:D
;D

:P Well, I'll at least have Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack ready for when I land on that number. ;D