Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on October 05, 2021, 12:54:03 PM
Well the market is different in different places. Though prices here have been shooting up, everything else you're telling me about your corner of the USA isn't terribly relevant to my corner of Australia.

Also the whole way mortgages work here is different, unless the USA actually reformed the process after the GFC.

The house I was particularly interested in on the weekend, the bathroom and laundry had both just been renovated. I inspected it on Saturday. I've just been told it was sold to "family friends" who somehow saw it on the internet on Monday and sorted out a deal on Tuesday. So I'm annoyed.
Wow, that was speedy!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Cato on October 01, 2021, 10:01:58 AM

My own absences in the last month I explained once elsewhere, but here are the reasons: by daring to retire on the other side of 70, and buying a "retirement house," and therefore also selling the house where we had been living, I opened up a Soul-Gate through which we entered an Earthly Purgatory with Multiple Whammies descending upon us throughout the last 3 months!   ???...

Best Wishes to all!

Uffda, what a story. (And hilarious dance scene, btw.) We were, we think, a bit luckier. We bought a place from a Christian sect and so far, most things seem in order. Only the very house appears to have very considerable moisture problems which will have to be controlled... but they affect us only indirectly. Most importantly, we now have a cellar that's suitable for wine (if nothing else, since it's also rather moist.) No particular discoveries, yet. Unless one considers the fact that a new kitchen takes about half a year before it can be delivered a discovery.

Hope it will all turn out to the best! Cheers, jfl

Cato

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 06, 2021, 10:40:39 PM
Uffda, what a story. (And hilarious dance scene, btw.) We were, we think, a bit luckier. We bought a place from a Christian sect and so far, most things seem in order. Only the very house appears to have very considerable moisture problems which will have to be controlled... but they affect us only indirectly. Most importantly, we now have a cellar that's suitable for wine (if nothing else, since it's also rather moist.) No particular discoveries, yet. Unless one considers the fact that a new kitchen takes about half a year before it can be delivered a discovery.

Hope it will all turn out to the best! Cheers, jfl

Thank you!  Yes, and for those who missed it, the "dance scene" is from The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, a movie well ahead of its time in various ways.  I suspect few people remember Hans Conried today, but he was a marvelous chameleon-comedian, and made a perfect comic villain as the mad pianist, Doctor Terwilliker.

It was the only movie written by children's author Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel).

Anyway, the dance scene from the movie was offered because I had used the word "whammy" earlier:

"And for those who do not know what a "whammy" is, it is ancient American slang for a curse or magic spell of evil!   0:)

At the end of this bizarre dance scene in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, (Music by Friedrich Hollander), the plumber asks the mad musician Doctor Terwilliger:

"What's the big idea trying to put the whammy on me?!"

8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/fpK3yEVp2T4
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Szykneij

Quote from: Cato on October 07, 2021, 05:07:20 AM
Thank you!  Yes, and for those who missed it, the "dance scene" is from The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, a movie well ahead of its time in various ways.  I suspect few people remember Hans Conried today, but he was a marvelous chameleon-comedian, and made a perfect comic villain as the mad pianist, Doctor Terwilliker.

It was the only movie written by children's author Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel).

Anyway, the dance scene from the movie was offered because I had used the word "whammy" earlier:

"And for those who do not know what a "whammy" is, it is ancient American slang for a curse or magic spell of evil!   0:)

At the end of this bizarre dance scene in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, (Music by Friedrich Hollander), the plumber asks the mad musician Doctor Terwilliger:

"What's the big idea trying to put the whammy on me?!"

In the U.S., Hans Conried was well-known during the late 1950s and early 1960s as Uncle Tonoose, Danny Thomas' uncle in the Make Room for Daddy television series,
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Spotted Horses

I see the recently returned DavidW has now deleted his account. Disappointing and mysterious.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2021, 01:51:53 PM
I see the recently returned DavidW has now deleted his account. Disappointing and mysterious.

Oh yes, that is unexpected.  :'(

The new erato

Expect the unexpected.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2021, 01:51:53 PM

Hopefully not another victim of the politics thread.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 14, 2021, 03:58:49 PM
Hopefully not another victim of the politics thread.

People are so quick to blame the political threads. When I've felt it necessary to withdraw in the past it has been due to rank incivility in the music discussions.

I suspect DavidW didn't want to get sucked in and expend a lot of time and energy here.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

I don't think I've come across any other forum where the habit of deleting accounts (rather than just not posting anymore) is so prevalent.

Or maybe I've just not noticed on other forums. But it's an interesting, ahem, "feature" of GMG that people signal their departure in this way.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on October 14, 2021, 05:03:18 PM
I don't think I've come across any other forum where the habit of deleting accounts (rather than just not posting anymore) is so prevalent.

Or maybe I've just not noticed on other forums. But it's an interesting, ahem, "feature" of GMG that people signal their departure in this way.
I've been a regular on 5-6 internet discussion boards and GMG has by far the most self-destructions. Second place was a board which specifically drew a crowd of younger, less socially adjusted, less mentally stable people (won't say anything more) - but again, still in second place.

One board I was on did not allow account deletion except by moderators, so people just, you know, signed out and left.

I've always wondered if account deletion was attributable to some kind of resolution to leave. Like "if I still have an account, I could log in again, so I should delete it to stay away." Like ending your drug habit by flushing the pills down the toilet.

Cato

Quote from: Szykneij on October 07, 2021, 11:30:00 AM
In the U.S., Hans Conried was well-known during the late 1950s and early 1960s as Uncle Tonoose, Danny Thomas' uncle in the Make Room for Daddy television series,

Yes, the show always got a boost whenever Uncle Tonoose showed up!

Not to be forgotten, Hans Conried was the voice of Snidely Whiplash, nemesis of Dudley Do-Right.   :D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2021, 05:52:55 PM
I've always wondered if account deletion was attributable to some kind of resolution to leave. Like "if I still have an account, I could log in again, so I should delete it to stay away." Like ending your drug habit by flushing the pills down the toilet.

Yes I've wondered that too. Although there are plenty of people who still come back (and then identify what their former name was).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Damn, I hate to see David leave, but like Madiel mentioned, I don't see the point in deleting your entire account just because you've decided to leave. I've left several times, but never once did I feel the need to delete my account.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2021, 07:55:05 PM
Damn, I hate to see David leave, but like Madiel mentioned, I don't see the point in deleting your entire account just because you've decided to leave. I've left several times, but never once did I feel the need to delete my account.
I agree - to me it seems quite aggressive, especially if done without any explanation, but others may well disagree. Isn't there some modern expression for this - like 'deleting' someone?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 14, 2021, 07:55:05 PM
I've left several times, but never once did I feel the need to delete my account.

Well, that because you:
   1: knew you'd come back;
   2: are too lazy...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

I just asked my wife: 'If someone left my online 'Cat Group' and deleted all their posts, do you think that is aggressive?' She replied 'Yes'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2021, 09:28:16 AM
I just asked my wife: 'If someone left my online 'Cat Group' and deleted all their posts, do you think that is aggressive?' She replied 'Yes'.

Deleting your account does not result in the deletion of any posts. I just means you can't log in anymore, you can't receive PMs and members cannot see a list of your posts linked to your member profile.

Gurn Blanston

David has been and gone over a dozen times. He has deleted his account every time. I wouldn't read anything into it. I've known him better than I've known almost anyone else here and it is a normal occurrence for him. He'll be back within 2 years...  ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 16, 2021, 09:53:05 AM
David has been and gone over a dozen times. He has deleted his account every time. I wouldn't read anything into it. I've known him better than I've known almost anyone else here and it is a normal occurrence for him. He'll be back within 2 years...  ;)..........

Agree w/ Gurn - I've been here since 2007 and 'DavidW' comes and goes - I expect that he'll be back - when?  Dave :)