Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 31, 2021, 01:47:30 PM
An hiatus is often a welcome respite, and leads to your returning refreshed in mind and spirit. Despite us not engaging in frequent conversation, I have read many of your posts and know we are losing a valuable member. Please don't let it be forever!  :)

8)
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

steve ridgway

I've been busy on archive.org and have found a lot I like by Ives, Cowell, Ruggles, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Scriabin and a little Stravinsky, Debussy and R Strauss. I'm now getting it all organised for my music player to listen in my preferred way by year of composition. I'd been unlucky with Ives before having started with the Concord Sonata which I'm lukewarm on but am greatly enjoying nearly everything else. 8)

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 19, 2022, 11:27:20 PM
I've been busy on archive.org and have found a lot I like by Ives, Cowell, Ruggles, Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, Scriabin and a little Stravinsky, Debussy and R Strauss. I'm now getting it all organised for my music player to listen in my preferred way by year of composition. I'd been unlucky with Ives before having started with the Concord Sonata which I'm lukewarm on but am greatly enjoying nearly everything else. 8)

Welcome back!  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 19, 2022, 11:27:20 PM

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I haven't seen Vers la flamme in quite some time. I hope he's okay. I know he's in school studying to become an ophthalmologist. Hopefully, it's just school work that is keeping him away.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 07, 2022, 08:01:06 PM
I haven't seen Vers la flamme in quite some time. I hope he's okay. I know he's in school studying to become an ophthalmologist. Hopefully, it's just school work that is keeping him away.

He was online yesterday.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2022, 12:02:58 AM
He was online yesterday.

He may have been checking in, but I haven't seen a post from him in quite some time.

Spotted Horses

Last post was three days ago.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 08, 2022, 07:49:45 AM
He may have been checking in, but I haven't seen a post from him in quite some time.

I replied to one of his posts recently on the listening thread.  If you weren't so busy with your endless Takemitsu posts you probably would have noticed! $:) :D

JBS

Maybe he's still catching up from that visit to New York.
Or maybe he's too traumatized from it....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DavidW on April 08, 2022, 08:49:10 AM
I replied to one of his posts recently on the listening thread.  If you weren't so busy with your endless Takemitsu posts you probably would have noticed! $:) :D

:laugh:
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

I miss Johan's (Christo) contributions. Unfortunately he has been quite ill. I notice that he still checks in from time-to-time and I have been in contact with him.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2022, 11:52:34 PM
I miss Johan's (Christo) contributions. Unfortunately he has been quite ill. I notice that he still checks in from time-to-time and I have been in contact with him.

Very sorry to hear that. I wish him the best.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Terrible. Johan, if you read this: all the best, take care!

I miss my French Baroque buddy, Draško (Milos), who had been a member here for a long time but in later years there were some long episodes of absence. A young guy from Serbia, younger than me at least, also very knowledgeable on Russian music and performers.

Three years ago he disappeared off the radar for the last time.  For a long time I assumed he would be back some time.
Last year Facebook reminded me of his birthday - I totally forgot we connected at some point.
From looking at his FB page with the help of Google translate I could deduct that he must have passed away no longer than a year after his last visit here. Friends had posted memorial posts on his birthday. I reached out to one of them to learn more, but never got a reply....

aligreto

I too wish Johan/Christo well and a speedy return to good health.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on April 09, 2022, 12:51:22 AM

I miss my French Baroque buddy, Draško (Milos), who had been a member here for a long time but in later years there were some long episodes of absence. A young guy from Serbia, younger than me at least, also very knowledgeable on Russian music and performers.

Three years ago he disappeared off the radar for the last time.  For a long time I assumed he would be back some time.
Last year Facebook reminded me of his birthday - I totally forgot we connected at some point.
From looking at his FB page with the help of Google translate I could deduct that he must have passed away no longer than a year after his last visit here. Friends had posted memorial posts on his birthday. I reached out to one of them to learn more, but never got a reply....

That is very sad and regrettable news. May he Rest In Peace.

Florestan

Terrible. Johan, if you read this: all the best, take care!

I too wondered about his long absence. Terrible news! May God rest him in peace.

Papy Oli

My best wishes to Johan when you next contact him, Jeffrey.

Very sad news indeed.
Olivier

Florestan

I sent him a congratulatory PM on his birthday but he didn't answer. I hope he's okay. Please send him my best next time you talk to him.

Florestan

Now that I think of it, there are many members who have been absent for quite a while. In no particular order: Elgarian, ukrneal, Ghost Sonata (aka Zauberdrachen No. 7), Dancing Divertimentian, bwv1058. Also a very nice Chilean guy who went by several usernames, the one I remember otomh being Antoine Marchand (French for Ton Koopman). And an Indian guy from Chennai whose username I can't remember right now. I do hope they are all safe and sound.

And btw, what's going on with North Star (Karlo)? He's apparently lurking here but haven't posted anything for a long while.