Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2022, 10:28:14 AM
My son (North Carolina born but from a family of Big Ten graduates, i.e. the U of Michigan) went to IU in the early 1990s - we also love the beauty of the Bloomington campus and the 'hilly' southern Indiana topography (and the movie below which I own as a HD streamer from Amazon) - his major was in telecommunications w/ a minor in computer science - met his Indiana wife there (graduated the same year) and now live in Indianapolis (have not done in a visit in nearly 3 years w/ COVID isolation and not wanting to take a plane).  Good luck kyjo w/ your musical degree.  Dave :)

Thanks, Dave! The Bloomington area definitely is beautiful with its rolling hills and generous foliage. I find it significantly more appealing to the eye than the much flatter landscape of central and nothern Indiana - it's known as the "the gateway to scenic southern Indiana" for good reason! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: dhibbard on August 08, 2022, 07:19:18 PM
Ah yes.... I am a grad of IU also.... with an Accounting/Business degree and Music Minor...   fond memories of Foster quad and Johnston Dorm in the GRC. 
1980s grad.... Bloomington and the hills around it are wonderful!!

Woah, I wasn't expecting to hear about so many IU/Bloomington connections in this thread! Thanks for sharing, everyone. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Iota

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2022, 12:19:56 PM
Yep, that was definitely a huge draw for me! I'll be studying with the Pacifica's cellist, Brandon Vamos, and have a string quartet formed for the fall semester.

Exciting!

aligreto

Yep, that was definitely a huge draw for me! I'll be studying with the Pacifica's cellist, Brandon Vamos, and have a string quartet formed for the fall semester.

Very nice! Best of luck with everything.

bhodges

Another awe-struck congratulations here. The Pacifica Quartet are one of the best groups in the country right now, so...wow.

--Bruce

Madiel

We knew him before he was famous, etc etc.  ;D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DaveF

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2022, 12:30:23 PM
Woah, I wasn't expecting to hear about so many IU/Bloomington connections in this thread! Thanks for sharing, everyone. :)

I've just finished Jeremy Denk's book Every Good Boy Does Fine, which includes an account of his time at Bloomington as a student of György Sebők (who was, inevitably, a great friend of Starker's, who was also there).  Denk comes across as a rather, shall we say, unusual sort of person, but nevertheless managed to have a thoroughly good time - as I hope you do.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kyjo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 08, 2022, 10:22:07 AM
Kyjo,

I'd love to know if you encounter any professors who were there at the time and knew Janos Starker and had any stories/views/news which they would care to share with you.  He's a favorite cellist of mine.  :)

PD

Hi PD, my former teacher from my time at Carnegie Mellon University studied with Starker at IU and had the highest opinion of and respect for him. From what I've heard, Starker had a very high standard for his students, and was frequently intimidating towards them for the sole purpose of giving them the experience of performing under pressure, not because he was a mean or sadistic person. Apparently, he would always be smoking a cigar pretty much up until the day he died! I'll let you know of any more interesting stories I hear about the man. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on August 10, 2022, 03:53:10 PM
Hi PD, my former teacher from my time at Carnegie Mellon University studied with Starker at IU and had the highest opinion of and respect for him. From what I've heard, Starker had a very high standard for his students, and was frequently intimidating towards them for the sole purpose of giving them the experience of performing under pressure, not because he was a mean or sadistic person. Apparently, he would always be smoking a cigar pretty much up until the day he died! I'll let you know of any more interesting stories I hear about the man. :)
Thanks!

A few years ago I read this book by him and quite enjoyed it:  https://www.amazon.com/World-Music-According-Starker/dp/0253344522

There also used to be a video of him when he was on the younger side on youtube, but it was taken down.  It was of him performing Kodaly's Sonata for Solo Cello and was in black and white.  I want to say that it was from the 1950's.  Sad that it is no longer there.  I suspect that it was taken down by his family (foundation??); I would be happy to purchase a copy of it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mapman

I'll probably be away from the forum for about two weeks. There's no need to worry about where I am until the end of August!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 08, 2022, 10:22:07 AMI'd love to know if you encounter any professors who were there at the time and knew Janos Starker and had any stories/views/news which they would care to share with you.  He's a favorite cellist of mine.  :)

You probably know the often told anecdote involving Reiner. Starker was the principal Cello of the Chicago Symphony and was about to leave. They were rehearsing for what might have been his final performance with the CSO and Reiner gave a speech about how much they would miss him. During the rehearsal (the Verdi Requiem, perhaps) Starker became distracted at some point and, after a long rest, entered one bar early. Reiner became enraged, shouted at Starker and threw his baton forcefully on the ground so that it broke in half. The unflappable starker replied, "am I not allowed one mistake?" Later the orchestra presented Starker with a gold tie pin in the shape of a broken baton.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mapman on August 11, 2022, 06:30:52 AM
I'll probably be away from the forum for about two weeks. There's no need to worry about where I am until the end of August!

Enjoy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 11, 2022, 07:53:58 AM
You probably know the often told anecdote involving Reiner. Starker was the principal Cello of the Chicago Symphony and was about to leave. They were rehearsing for what might have been his final performance with the CSO and Reiner gave a speech about how much they would miss him. During the rehearsal (the Verdi Requiem, perhaps) Starker became distracted at some point and, after a long rest, entered one bar early. Reiner became enraged, shouted at Starker and threw his baton forcefully on the ground so that it broke in half. The unflappable starker replied, "am I not allowed one mistake?" Later the orchestra presented Starker with a gold tie pin in the shape of a broken baton.
Yes, I've heard that one before.   ;)  But thanks!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Is John (Mirror Image) really gone? I'm surprised!

That's unfortunate.  :-[

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 03, 2022, 11:47:37 AM

Apparently so.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

After dramatic exits from the forum in the past he has normally returned after some weeks or months. The pattern may repeat itself.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

He has also deleted his Facebook account so I have no way of contacting him - a shame.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

wind-

Quote from: vandermolen on September 03, 2022, 01:51:41 PM
He has also deleted his Facebook account so I have no way of contacting him - a shame.

Mirror Image is still active at Steve Hoffman forum, half dozen posts today. You could try there.

Brian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 03, 2022, 11:47:37 AM

He's done this so many times before that I imagine he'll be back soon enough. Sometimes he dramatically announces his departure and comes back a week later, but there was another occasion where he went through a phase not listening to classical. This is longer than usual though. We'll see.

Madiel

This one felt different.

It also came a few weeks after I'd persuaded him not to leave, so the feelings were building up.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!