Announcements > GMG News

Missing Members

<< < (779/807) > >>

Mapman:
I'll probably be away from the forum for about two weeks. There's no need to worry about where I am until the end of August!

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 08, 2022, 09:22:07 AM ---I'd love to know if you encounter any professors who were there at the time and knew Janos Starker and had any stories/views/news which they would care to share with you.  He's a favorite cellist of mine.  :)
--- End quote ---

You probably know the often told anecdote involving Reiner. Starker was the principal Cello of the Chicago Symphony and was about to leave. They were rehearsing for what might have been his final performance with the CSO and Reiner gave a speech about how much they would miss him. During the rehearsal (the Verdi Requiem, perhaps) Starker became distracted at some point and, after a long rest, entered one bar early. Reiner became enraged, shouted at Starker and threw his baton forcefully on the ground so that it broke in half. The unflappable starker replied, "am I not allowed one mistake?" Later the orchestra presented Starker with a gold tie pin in the shape of a broken baton.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Mapman on August 11, 2022, 05:30:52 AM ---I'll probably be away from the forum for about two weeks. There's no need to worry about where I am until the end of August!

--- End quote ---

Enjoy!

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 11, 2022, 06:53:58 AM ---You probably know the often told anecdote involving Reiner. Starker was the principal Cello of the Chicago Symphony and was about to leave. They were rehearsing for what might have been his final performance with the CSO and Reiner gave a speech about how much they would miss him. During the rehearsal (the Verdi Requiem, perhaps) Starker became distracted at some point and, after a long rest, entered one bar early. Reiner became enraged, shouted at Starker and threw his baton forcefully on the ground so that it broke in half. The unflappable starker replied, "am I not allowed one mistake?" Later the orchestra presented Starker with a gold tie pin in the shape of a broken baton.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I've heard that one before.   ;)  But thanks!   :)

PD

OrchestralNut:
Is John (Mirror Image) really gone? I'm surprised!

That's unfortunate.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version