Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I'm pleased to report that I had a very nice chat (in real time!) with Johan (Christo) this evening. I told him that there had been concern expressed for him here. He wanted you to know that he is much better now and back at work. He doesn't listen to much music at the moment but hopes to be back on the forum sooner or later.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 06, 2022, 12:28:07 PM
I'm pleased to report that I had a very nice chat (in real time!) with Johan (Christo) this evening. I told him that there had been concern expressed for him here. He wanted you to know that he is much better now and back at work. He doesn't listen to much music at the moment but hopes to be back on the forum sooner or later.

Great to read, Jeffrey. Such a nice man. Good to see he's back enjoying his life again.

Karl Henning

Great news!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

premont

Quote from: aligreto on October 05, 2022, 07:00:44 AM

The tragedy of this site is that there are people here with vast amounts of knowledge but many of those also have HUGE egos and present themselves as being self appointed arbiters of good taste on this forum. Anything that runs in the face of what they believe as dogma immediately becomes the cause for potential conflict. This causes many people not to want to engage. My own absences from this site are becoming more frequent and prolonged due to the deteriorating tone overall.

I find recent posts regarding your departure to be distasteful. You are not a perfect person by your own admission but who here is? People who wrote such stuff about you should be ashamed of themselves.

More humility would seem to be required here on this site even though I accept that ego and humility are an oxymoron.

Having been around here for some time now and having engaged with you over the years, my friendly advice to you if you decide to continue to post here is to word your comments more carefully. You should also be more careful with whom you engage. That should be self evident to you at this stage and by that I mean ignoring them completely and not just adding them to your ignore list. Do not be baited. That requires restraint.

It should also be apparent to you that there are some here who value you, who have missed you and your contributions and who also wish you well.

Wise words, Fergus. I can certainly agree with all of it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2022, 07:38:38 AM
Thanks a lot, Fergus. Sound advice for us all. I'm trying my best to post comments that are positive and not to get wrapped up in the negativity. After all, if I succumbed to this type of attitude, I would be stooping down to the level of many members here who I wish to not engage with again.

Seems like you've hardly finished pontificating about negativity on the board, and you're turning around and telling me my opinion is bullshit.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2022, 12:04:42 PM
This is just BS. I'm sorry. Any mastering engineer with a vision of how something should sound has a special insight into the recording techniques and how an album was mastered. Any time an album gets a remastering or a remix, it's a reinterpretation of the original mix. Have you heard any of the newer remixes? Without actually hearing any of them, you don't have a leg to stand on --- it's nothing more than a preconceived notion.

Maybe you should consider that the negative treatment you complain about reflects the negative energy you put on the board. What goes around, comes around.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

The new erato

Here we go again. Why not just agree to disagree and move on?

Not pointing specifically to any of you, but as a general observation as to human behavior.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 06, 2022, 07:26:47 PM
Seems like you've hardly finished pontificating about negativity on the board, and you're turning around and telling me my opinion is bullshit.

Maybe you should consider that the negative treatment you complain about reflects the negative energy you put on the board. What goes around, comes around.

I told you that your opinion was bullshit because you had no reason to complain about Giles Martin, especially when you haven't heard any of the work he's done. If you actually heard the remixes, then you'd have a right to complain and if you didn't like them then that would be fair enough, but this wasn't the case. Anyway, what it seems like to me is that only you are allowed to complain about other people and their posts, but when someone else actually calls you out, you decide to play the victim. What goes around, comes around, indeed and you're just guilty as anyone else here.

aligreto

Please give Johan (Christo) our best regards and tell him that we wish him well and look forward to his eventual return.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: aligreto on October 10, 2022, 01:41:00 PM
Please give Johan (Christo) our best regards and tell him that we wish him well and look forward to his eventual return.

+1
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 10, 2022, 01:41:00 PM
Will do Fergus.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pat B

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Hvbias just quit? Ugh, one of the most interesting members, insightful and idiosyncratic. And about my age.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2022, 08:17:56 AM
Hvbias just quit? Ugh, one of the most interesting members, insightful and idiosyncratic. And about my age.

WTF?  :o
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2022, 08:17:56 AM
?? Did he say something about quitting?  Or, how do you know?  Did his account just disappear?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 21, 2022, 09:33:02 AM
?? Did he say something about quitting?  Or, how do you know?  Did his account just disappear?

PD
Yep, I noticed in the Chopin thread that there was a post by a "guest" that said "last edited by hvbias."

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2022, 09:34:06 AM
Yep, I noticed in the Chopin thread that there was a post by a "guest" that said "last edited by hvbias."

And the guest's name is staxomega.

Can't understand the whys and hows of such a move.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini