Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on November 07, 2017, 03:28:46 AM
Thanks to all for noting my absence. I'm happy and healthy and hope you all are too.
Yes, work and house hunting are taking up my time, but I'm having fun and making new friends whenever I can along the way.
I'll be back full time soon enough. Until then, enjoy your listening and take it easy.

Good to hear, Nik! We miss ya!

Parsifal

Quote from: NikF on November 07, 2017, 03:28:46 AM
Thanks to all for noting my absence. I'm happy and healthy and hope you all are too.
Yes, work and house hunting are taking up my time, but I'm having fun and making new friends whenever I can along the way.
I'll be back full time soon enough. Until then, enjoy your listening and take it easy.

Your life doesn't seem plausible. I recall reading some time ago of a novel written entirely in the form of text messages. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of avant-garde novel written entirely in the form of posts to an obscure classical music discussion board.

NikF

Quote from: Scarpia on November 07, 2017, 09:36:32 AM
Your life doesn't seem plausible. I recall reading some time ago of a novel written entirely in the form of text messages. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of avant-garde novel written entirely in the form of posts to an obscure classical music discussion board.

I choose to take that as a compliment, because everything I've ever done in my life (which incidentally, I tend to understate) has been achieved by me with no help from anyone.

Every success or failure in my career and business and any financial gains I made, have all been down to me. And in a number of relationships with warm, kind hearted (and often beautiful) women that have ended due to me being distant or unreasonable, unappreciative or simply a shit - I also take full responsibility for. No excuses. But this needs to be viewed in some context or at least have a little background.

For almost the whole year between the ages of 15 and 16 I was homeless. I had next to nothing, although that was a paradise compared to the home life I was brought up in as a child; I wouldn't wish my earliest years upon anyone. So the fact you find my life implausible only further confirms that such a start would have from the outset crushed someone like yourself, while I was strong enough to survive, to move forward and prosper. And that's why I'm taking your words as a compliment.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Parsifal

Quote from: NikF on November 08, 2017, 05:28:01 AM
I choose to take that as a compliment, because everything I've ever done in my life (which incidentally, I tend to understate) has been achieved by me with no help from anyone.

Every success or failure in my career and business and any financial gains I made, have all been down to me. And in a number of relationships with warm, kind hearted (and often beautiful) women that have ended due to me being distant or unreasonable, unappreciative or simply a shit - I also take full responsibility for. No excuses. But this needs to be viewed in some context or at least have a little background.

For almost the whole year between the ages of 15 and 16 I was homeless. I had next to nothing, although that was a paradise compared to the home life I was brought up in as a child; I wouldn't wish my earliest years upon anyone. So the fact you find my life implausible only further confirms that such a start would have from the outset crushed someone like yourself, while I was strong enough to survive, to move forward and prosper. And that's why I'm taking your words as a compliment.

Yes, it was meant as a complement. I'd advise you to avoid assumptions of what sufferings others have endured or continue to endure, and what would or would not crush them.

Karl Henning

Absolutely a compliment!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: Scarpia on November 08, 2017, 07:11:54 AM
Yes, it was meant as a complement. I'd advise you to avoid assumptions of what sufferings others have endured or continue to endure, and what would or would not crush them.

I'll take your advice - that is, I'll choose my own words more carefully.  And I'll suggest you more carefully choose your own when it comes to imparting what you mean by "I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of avant-garde novel". But let's not go back and forth over this. It's BS.
Feel free to have any last word(s), if you wish.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Parsifal

Quote from: NikF on November 08, 2017, 07:26:19 AM
I'll take your advice - that is, I'll choose my own words more carefully.  And I'll suggest you more carefully choose your own when it comes to imparting what you mean by "I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of avant-garde novel". But let's not go back and forth over this. It's BS.
Feel free to have any last word(s), if you wish.

Only that no offense was intended. I was only observing that you seem to have more daily adventures than could reasonably fit into the life of a person who has to earn a living.

NikF

Quote from: Scarpia on November 08, 2017, 08:23:00 AM
Only that no offense was intended. I was only observing that you seem to have more daily adventures than could reasonably fit into the life of a person who has to earn a living.

Okay, let me clear that one up. I'm retired. And because I've relatively simple tastes and needs it means that unless I do something crazy like get married and divorced every few years I won't need to work again.

Marc

Quote from: NikF on November 08, 2017, 09:01:25 AM
Okay, let me clear that one up. I'm retired. And because I've relatively simple tastes and needs it means that unless I do something crazy like get married and divorced every few years I won't need to work again.

Pilate's Pet, eh?

:P

NikF

Quote from: Marc on November 08, 2017, 09:21:13 AM

Pilate's Pet, eh?

:P

I'll never complain about being in this position, although it has taken time to get used to. In the mornings I've always got up at between 06:30 and 07:00 and that's still the case. But it's a nice problem to have.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Anyone know what happened to Edward - my fellow CI veteran and modern music fan? He hasn't posted anything this entire year.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 29, 2017, 12:34:21 PM
Anyone know what happened to Edward - my fellow CI veteran and modern music fan? He hasn't posted anything this entire year.

It has been quite sometime since I've seen Edward. I do hope he's doing okay and just happens to be busy with life stuff (but nothing bad).

Alek Hidell

Yeah, I miss edward too. I liked his musical tastes and his perceptive comments.

And what happened to Octave?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

You did it

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 29, 2017, 12:34:21 PM

I never "met" him (to my knowledge) but I do see his old posts around when posts are bumped and kinda wish he'd return too  :)

Karl Henning

I don't think I have heard directly from Edward for nigh unto a year;  high time I reached out to him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: Alek Hidell on November 29, 2017, 06:49:24 PM
And what happened to Octave?
Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 30, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
Quote from: Moonfish on April 30, 2015, 03:53:49 PM
And where is Octave...?      :(
Haven't seen him here for a long time!
As I understand it, a combination of other interests and the need to keep to his CD buying budget made it prudent to stay away from the temptations on offer here.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Marc

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on December 05, 2017, 02:24:37 AM
I miss Scarpia.

I do hope he'll reconsider his decision (frankly, I cannot understand why people abruptly delete their accounts because of a controversy on an internet board). I was mostly in disagreement with him on extra-musical topics but I valued his input on music and recordings.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on December 05, 2017, 04:25:36 AM
I do hope he'll reconsider his decision (frankly, I cannot understand why people abruptly delete their accounts because of a controversy on an internet board). I was mostly in disagreement with him on extra-musical topics but I valued his input on music and recordings.
When did this happen and on what thread if I may ask? A deplorable loss for the forum.