Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 12, 2018, 07:25:27 PM
Anyone heard from Sarge lately? Just checked--he last checked in here on Jan 26.

Quite strange of Sarge. I hope he's doing good. I know February is his birthday month (or is late January?), so maybe he's still hungover from the birthday celebration? ;)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2018, 08:31:46 PM
Quite strange of Sarge. I hope he's doing good. I know February is his birthday month (or is late January?), so maybe he's still hungover from the birthday celebration? ;)

Uh-oh! I do hope it's as benign as that or just him having forgotten his password!  ???

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 12, 2018, 10:22:58 PM
Uh-oh! I do hope it's as benign as that or just him having forgotten his password!  ???

...a Wagner marathon, in which he vowed to listen to all of his Ring cycles back to back?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 13, 2018, 08:39:11 AM
...a Wagner marathon, in which he vowed to listen to all of his Ring cycles back to back?

It's worse than we thought, then! See him in 2022!  ???

Mirror Image

I thought I'd share a little update on Thatfabulousalien: it appears he's dropped out of university, gave up on his goal to become a composer, and has even left the city he was living in. Also, he has no interest in classical music any longer, which I hope is just a passing thing. It doesn't look like he'll be on GMG anytime soon. :-\ It's so strange how a 'bad experience', which in this case for Alien was studying music, can somehow taint your view of a genre that was obviously a passion and played an important part of your life.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
I thought I'd share a little update on Thatfabulousalien: it appears he's dropped out of university, gave up on his goal to become a composer, and has even left the city he was living in. Also, he has no interest in classical music any longer, which I hope is just a passing thing. It doesn't look like he'll be on GMG anytime soon. :-\ It's so strange how a 'bad experience', which in this case for Alien was studying music, can somehow taint your view of a genre that was obviously a passion and played an important part of your life.
??? :(
If and when you speak to him:
I do miss his posts on Xenakis, which provoked me out of my comfort zone.
And perhaps not "classical" music, but some sort of music!

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:06:22 PM

Eek.

Anyone seen Ghost Sonata in a while?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 13, 2018, 08:22:39 PM
??? :(
If and when you speak to him:
I do miss his posts on Xenakis, which provoked me out of my comfort zone.
And perhaps not "classical" music, but some sort of music!

I agree about the comfort zone thing as I tried some of the music he listened to that I suppose can be described as 'avant-garde' and didn't enjoy it, but it still gave me an education. Sometimes when you are dragged out of your comfort zone, you'll find new musical avenues for yourself and I suppose, in some small way, Alien opened my mind to new sounds (even if I didn't particular enjoy those sounds).

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:40:17 PM
I agree about the comfort zone thing as I tried some of the music he listened to that I suppose can be described as 'avant-garde' and didn't enjoy it, but it still gave me an education. Sometimes when you are dragged out of your comfort zone, you'll find new musical avenues for yourself and I suppose, in some small way, Alien opened my mind to new sounds (even if I didn't particular enjoy those sounds).

Speaking of outside one's comfort zone, there's this guy Bach ...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 13, 2018, 08:55:38 PM
Speaking of outside one's comfort zone, there's this guy Bach ...

I like some Bach, but I just can't get excited about Baroque Era music.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 09:03:12 PM
I like some Bach, but I just can't get excited about Baroque Era music.

Psssst Palestrina

:laugh:

Mirror Image

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 09:11:23 PM
Psssst...Hildegard von Bingen. ;)
I have and listen to a box of HvB.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:06:22 PMIt's so strange how a 'bad experience', which in this case for Alien was studying music, can somehow taint your view of a genre that was obviously a passion and played an important part of your life.

From what I'd gathered, he's a young and super-passionate guy, easily swayed in this or that direction. I hope things work out for him.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 14, 2018, 03:43:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/u0qkP1kvEdQ
A superb Version of some of the greatest music I know (I have that and 2 other Versions on DVD, 4 CD Versions and have seen it twice live). I saw a very fine live version of l'Orfeo in Bergen with a friend that is into music, but not this kind of music. He was so moved he could hardly speak after the performance.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 12, 2018, 07:25:27 PM
Anyone heard from Sarge lately? Just checked--he last checked in here on Jan 26.

I was wondering that too. But any man capable of using a 500mm mirror lens has to be a tough cookie, so I'm hoping all is well.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".