Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
I thought I'd share a little update on Thatfabulousalien: it appears he's dropped out of university, gave up on his goal to become a composer, and has even left the city he was living in. Also, he has no interest in classical music any longer, which I hope is just a passing thing. It doesn't look like he'll be on GMG anytime soon. :-\ It's so strange how a 'bad experience', which in this case for Alien was studying music, can somehow taint your view of a genre that was obviously a passion and played an important part of your life.

Very sorry to hear that.

The 'Prodigal Son' type return of Sarge is, however, cause for celebration.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on February 18, 2018, 08:57:10 AM
Very sorry to hear that.

The 'Prodigal Son' type return of Sarge is, however, cause for celebration.

A BIG AMEN for that!  0:)

I have twice tried to catalyze a response from Luke Ottevanger via his wife on FaceBook, but so far nothing!

Possibly I am not the person to attempt this*, possibly it will not matter because of sundry other reasons.

*i.e. Mrs. Cato says I intimidate people.   ;) 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
I thought I'd share a little update on Thatfabulousalien: it appears he's dropped out of university, gave up on his goal to become a composer, and has even left the city he was living in. Also, he has no interest in classical music any longer, which I hope is just a passing thing. It doesn't look like he'll be on GMG anytime soon. :-\ It's so strange how a 'bad experience', which in this case for Alien was studying music, can somehow taint your view of a genre that was obviously a passion and played an important part of your life.

I was just about to post here to see what had happened to him, and I saw this. That's life I guess! I hope he makes it to Europe some time.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

What's happened to cilgwyn? I enjoyed his contributions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I still lament the disappearance of Chamber Ray and Peter (Moonfish). :-\

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 28, 2018, 11:15:17 AM
What's happened to cilgwyn? I enjoyed his contributions.
Hope to see him back here soon!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Baron Scarpia

The One seems to have burned too bright and vanished.

Baron Scarpia

Bulldog is back! We have to play his game, or he might pack up and leave again!

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 28, 2018, 11:33:25 PM
Hope to see him back here soon!
He's back again! (PC meltdown was the cause of his absence)

:)

Traverso

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 01, 2018, 11:39:45 AM
The One seems to have burned too bright and vanished.

Vanity vanity it's all vanity. :-X

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Traverso on May 02, 2018, 09:08:27 AM
Vanity vanity it's all vanity. :-X

He's not nearly as obnoxious (or vain) as many seem to believe. There are plenty of people who have come and gone, many, sadly, not gone, who I have found less worth in their ramblings. I find it useful to withhold my evaluations until they can be less superficial. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sammy

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 07, 2018, 07:44:24 PM
Bulldog is back! We have to play his game, or he might pack up and leave again!

The future is always uncertain.  :blank:

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2018, 12:00:34 PM
He's not nearly as obnoxious (or vain) as many seem to believe. There are plenty of people who have come and gone, many, sadly, not gone, who I have found less worth in their ramblings. I find it useful to withhold my evaluations until they can be less superficial. :)

8)

Can't speak for Traverso, but I didn't intend any such implication on content, just the observation that activity was at once very high, then suddenly vanishing.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 02, 2018, 12:30:43 PM
Can't speak for Traverso, but I didn't intend any such implication on content, just the observation that activity was at once very high, then suddenly vanishing.

Yup, it's true. Can't say, perhaps he has the same sort of issues I just went through. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2018, 03:38:52 PM
Yup, it's true. Can't say, perhaps he has the same sort of issues I just went through. :-\

8)

I can guess what the cryptic statement refers to...  :laugh:

premont

Quote from: Sammy on May 02, 2018, 12:29:14 PM

That's for certain.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sammy on May 02, 2018, 12:29:14 PM

Nowadays, even more so  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 03, 2018, 01:09:55 AM
Nowadays, even more so  8)

And in the future maybe still even more so.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Traverso

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2018, 12:00:34 PM

8)

I was just joking,not the intention to do any harm,otherwise  my apologies.