Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW, Cato and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Traverso on May 03, 2018, 03:25:50 AM
I was just joking,not the intention to do any harm,otherwise  my apologies.

I figured that, just trying to avoid unnecessary feelings-hurt occasions, since I have seen some others piling on. No problemo!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

GioCar

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 01, 2018, 11:39:45 AM
The One seems to have burned too bright and vanished.

Quote from: Traverso on May 02, 2018, 09:08:27 AM
Vanity vanity it's all vanity. :-X
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 02, 2018, 12:00:34 PM
He's not nearly as obnoxious (or vain) as many seem to believe. There are plenty of people who have come and gone, many, sadly, not gone, who I have found less worth in their ramblings. I find it useful to withhold my evaluations until they can be less superficial. :)

8)
Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 02, 2018, 12:30:43 PM
Can't speak for Traverso, but I didn't intend any such implication on content, just the observation that activity was at once very high, then suddenly vanishing.
Quote from: Traverso on May 03, 2018, 03:25:50 AM
I was just joking,not the intention to do any harm,otherwise  my apologies.
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2018, 04:15:27 AM
I figured that, just trying to avoid unnecessary feelings-hurt occasions, since I have seen some others piling on. No problemo!  :)

8)

Anyway, he ultimately left the stage. A pity imo.

premont

Quote from: GioCar on May 03, 2018, 06:26:45 AM
Anyway, he ultimately left the stage. A pity imo.

Let's hope he is the only one.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André

I haven't read anything by Spineur lately  :(.

Florestan

Quote from: André on May 03, 2018, 05:19:02 PM
I haven't read anything by Spineur lately  :(.

IIrc, he has big problems accessing the site.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

North Star

pjme seems to have deleted his account after having trouble accessing the site.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Harry

Quote from: North Star on May 04, 2018, 04:51:46 AM

That is a pity, I appreciated his contributions.
I wish the technical problems could be solved for those that have problems with reaching this site.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 28, 2018, 08:41:36 PM
I still lament the disappearance of Chamber Ray and Peter (Moonfish). :-\

I will try to improve.....

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Spineur

Quote from: Florestan on May 04, 2018, 02:35:49 AM
IIrc, he has big problems accessing the site.
It is true that GMG is hard to get to at times.  But I am also swamped with work and I had to take back the time I devoted to GMG in the past.  There are indeed quite a few GMG members, I am missing too.  Jeffrey, King Ubu, pjme (an fine connoisseur of the french repertoire) but also Mr. Croche, one of the few members with really knowledge on music theory.  Not being around doesnt help reigning my CD buying budget which explodes months after month.  Since I have you here Florestan, do you know Elena Mosuc ?  She is a roumanian soprano, who sings often at the Zurich opera house, but I have never heard her live.  I got her Donizetti & Verdi Heroines CDs.  She has an impressive vocal technique and she seems to have no limit in the upper register.

Mirror Image

It's always a shame to lose members based on something that, in time, can be fixed. There seems to be a general consensus here that the problems only started occurring since the switch to the new server.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2018, 12:28:53 PM
It's always a shame to lose members based on something that, in time, can be fixed. There seems to be a general consensus here that the problems only started occurring since the switch to the new server.

Yes, but that is the way that people remember things: which was the most recent inconvenience. For two months before the changeover, there were frequent interruptions of service due to the old server being seriously overloaded and so access to the database would be denied. That caused me far more problems than this has so far. Not that this is true for everyone, but certainly for me. It was the reason for the server upgrade to begin with, IIRC. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 07, 2018, 12:44:48 PM
Yes, but that is the way that people remember things: which was the most recent inconvenience. For two months before the changeover, there were frequent interruptions of service due to the old server being seriously overloaded and so access to the database would be denied. That caused me far more problems than this has so far. Not that this is true for everyone, but certainly for me. It was the reason for the server upgrade to begin with, IIRC. :)

8)

Well sure, I knew why Rob needed to change servers. GMG was simply overloaded and had been overhauled. I guess I just don't remember this inordinate amount of problems before.

Baron Scarpia

A key difference that was before the problems were in the server itself and all users experienced them at the same time. Now, the site works flawlessly for most people but a small fraction have had severe difficulties connecting, (probably related to the performance of their internet service provider) which prevent them from accessing the site at all while the rest of us have smooth sailing. That can be particularly frustrating.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2018, 01:25:59 PM
Well sure, I knew why Rob needed to change servers. GMG was simply overloaded and had been overhauled. I guess I just don't remember this inordinate amount of problems before.

Maybe everyone didn't have the same amount of problems before so it didn't make such an impression on you if you were one of the lucky ones. I had to struggle with almost every post for 4 or 5 weeks, which got very frustrating. 
:-\

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 07, 2018, 01:31:48 PM
A key difference that was before the problems were in the server itself and all users experienced them at the same time. Now, the site works flawlessly for most people but a small fraction have had severe difficulties connecting, (probably related to the performance of their internet service provider) which prevent them from accessing the site at all while the rest of us have smooth sailing. That can be particularly frustrating.

Absolutely, I'm very sure it does. Frankly, I think letting the temporary frustration overwhelm you into canceling your account is a bit of an overreaction. I hate that this happened/is happening. Even more, that signing up for a new account is not working correctly. I do look at it as temporary though. After 15 years here, there isn't a lot of crap I haven't gone through on some scale or another at least a few times. :)

8)

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on May 04, 2018, 04:51:46 AM

He did that in the hope that creating a new account will solve the problems, but unfortunately now he can't even create a new account. I have already reported his problem to Rob.

Quote from: Spineur on May 07, 2018, 10:53:58 AM
Since I have you here Florestan, do you know Elena Mosuc ?  She is a roumanian soprano, who sings often at the Zurich opera house, but I have never heard her live.  I got her Donizetti & Verdi Heroines CDs.  She has an impressive vocal technique and she seems to have no limit in the upper register.

I know her by name only, I don't think I've ever heard her singing.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Baron Scarpia

Spineur is the latest account deletion, and since new registrations are disabled there will be no return. It's a slow march to oblivion for the site.

I'm starting to think about what the alternatives are.

Baron Scarpia

I know that we are not to discuss the existence of other sites here. But since new members are not being accepted, I think that rule is moot. What is the best alternative to GMG? Talk Classical is the only other high traffic site I know of.

Mandryka

I guess that Rob has things to deal with that keep him off the site, but I don't know. Maybe he's just not aware of what's going on.

Has anyone contacted him to let him know about the problems on the site?  You can find contact information easily enough through Whois - I use the interface Godaddy.

QuoteRegistrant Name: Rob Lang
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: PO Box 55
Registrant City: Jamison Centre
Registrant State/Province: Australian Capital Territory
Registrant Postal Code: 2614
Registrant Country: AU
Registrant Phone: 62062212
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: robert@gasbag.net
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Rob Lang
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: PO Box 55
Admin City: Jamison Centre
Admin State/Province: Australian Capital Territory
Admin Postal Code: 2614
Admin Country: AU
Admin Phone: 62062212
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: robert@gasbag.net
Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
Tech Name: Rob Lang
Tech Organization:
Tech Street: PO Box 55
Tech City: Jamison Centre
Tech State/Province: Australian Capital Territory
Tech Postal Code: 2614
Tech Country: AU
Tech Phone: 62062212
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Baron Scarpia

My understanding is that the forum administrators have themselves been unable to get a response from Rob.