Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on June 13, 2018, 10:00:32 AM
My understanding is that the forum administrators have themselves been unable to get a response from Rob.

Sure but if they're trying to get hold of him through the PM system of the website, that may be unreliable. If they've been using his postal address or phone number or a private email address and there is still no reply, that's quite another matter.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Sammy

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on June 13, 2018, 08:59:45 AM
I know that we are not to discuss the existence of other sites here. But since new members are not being accepted, I think that rule is moot. What is the best alternative to GMG? Talk Classical is the only other high traffic site I know of.

Same here.  Personally, I wouldn't bother with a low traffic site.  On a more positive note, I have faith that the "new members" situation will be resolved within 6 months.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on June 13, 2018, 10:02:50 AM
Sure but if they're trying to get hold of him through the PM system of the website, that may be unreliable. If they've been using his postal address or phone number or a private email address and there is still no reply, that's quite another matter.

I use his previously reliable (for several years) gmail address. I have informed him of everything of importance. I trust he will handle it within his capabilities. Meanwhile, I wait, as do you all. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Baron Scarpia

I will be frequenting another site for classical music discussions. Cheers.

Marc

Well, shoot me leak.

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 13, 2018, 10:21:41 AM
I use his previously reliable (for several years) gmail address. I have informed him of everything of importance. I trust he will handle it within his capabilities. Meanwhile, I wait, as do you all. :-\

8)

I wish Rob well.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on June 13, 2018, 11:01:12 AM
I wish Rob well.

Me too. Hope he'll manage to fix the bugs.

Florestan

Wtf? Scarpia left GMG? Truly this site is slowly dying...

Please, Arthur, come back!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on June 13, 2018, 11:16:53 AM

He'd been a bit contrarian, as of late. Perhaps that was another 'statement' along those lines? Does seem a bit rude, though.

Wakefield

Quote from: San Antone on June 13, 2018, 11:16:11 AM
I don't understand a member deleting his account - even if he wishes to go somewhere else.

I read, in past days, that the man who ordered the construction of the nearly infinite Wall of China was that First Emperor, Shih Huang Ti, who likewise ordered the burning of all the books before him. That the two gigantic operations—the five or six hundred leagues of stone to oppose the barbarians, the rigorous abolition of history, that is of the past—issued from one person and were in a certain sense his attributes, inexplicably satisfied me and, at the same time, disturbed me. The object of this note is to investigate the reasons for that emotion.

;)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on June 13, 2018, 11:16:53 AM

You could always follow him to Talk classical I suppose, that way you will be with Arthur in definitive. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SimonNZ

Just remember to say "Schoenberg is the antichrist" in every second post and you'll fit right in.

Mahlerian

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 13, 2018, 02:11:47 PM
Just remember to say "Schoenberg is the antichrist" in every second post and you'll fit right in.

So long as you don't question that Wagner is god incarnate...
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Marc

Quote from: San Antone on June 13, 2018, 11:16:11 AM
I don't understand a member deleting his account - even if he wishes to go somewhere else.

Same with me.
But it's possible, and therefore his/her own choice.

Florestan

Quote from: Pjotr on June 13, 2018, 02:01:02 PM
You could always follow him to Talk classical I suppose, that way you will be with Arthur in definitive. :)

What's your problem, Harry? Or have you just had a bad day?

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 13, 2018, 12:08:49 PM
He'd been a bit contrarian, as of late. Perhaps that was another 'statement' along those lines? Does seem a bit rude, though.

I crossed swords with him more than once but he is a knowledgeable fellow. Moreover, in the current circumstances the loss of an active member is irreplaceable and I can only lament it.

Quote from: Mahlerian on June 13, 2018, 03:00:55 PM
So long as you don't question that Wagner is god incarnate...

Doesn't seem like my kind of place.  ;D

mc ukrneal

8)
Has he responded within the past six weeks (after May 2nd)?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

premont

Have there been a similar cases, where he has not responded for a long time?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 14, 2018, 04:02:57 AM
Have there been a similar cases, where he has not responded for a long time?

Not for this long. He travels on business sometimes, and it may be a week or two, but this has been quite considerable. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

GioCar

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 14, 2018, 04:29:39 AM
Not for this long. He travels on business sometimes, and it may be a week or two, but this has been quite considerable. :-\

8)

I wish him well, but I fear there is something beyond his control that has happened in the meanwhile.
Apart from anything else, it doesn't make much sense that he had lauched a poll http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,28196.0.html on April 30 and then disappeared just after a couple of days.

No other friends, relatives, etc... we may try to contact?