Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 29, 2018, 06:00:39 AM
Aye, whether intelligible or no.

I always found his musings on music intelligible.

His political rants were unhinged and apparently contained offensive material recently, but he never personally attacked anyone on the board (that I can remember) and for that reason I found it relatively easy to ignore. I can understand that people who identify with groups he might have made offensive remarks about might see it differently.

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on August 29, 2018, 07:47:35 AM

he never personally attacked anyone on the board

Agreed on both accounts.

And sometimes I had a vivid feeling that his political rants were mere button-pushing and baiting.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on August 29, 2018, 07:47:35 AM

His political rants were unhinged and apparently contained offensive material recently, but he never personally attacked anyone on the board (that I can remember) and for that reason I found it relatively easy to ignore. I can understand that people who identify with groups he might have made offensive remarks about might see it differently.

Although much of his stuff was offensive to say the least he never descended to the level of rationalizing murder in the way a certain other member does. (Those who follow a certain thread in The Diner will know whom I mean.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

amw

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2018, 10:42:16 AM
And sometimes I had a vivid feeling that his political rants were mere button-pushing and baiting.
I wouldn't be surprised either, although some aspects of them (eg a frequently expressed disdain for women) seemed more genuine and related to problems in his personal life.

Quote from: JBS on August 29, 2018, 07:14:59 PM(Those who follow a certain thread in The Diner will know whom I mean.)
The person you are obliquely referring to is definitely engaging in button-pushing and baiting rather than good faith arguments, & has a long history of this. Although in this case I have grounds to agree with some of that person's supposed positions I still feel adding them to my ignore list was the best decision.

Brian

Wow, sounds like I am missing some good stuff in the Diner...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 29, 2018, 10:42:16 AM

Sure.  And I'll admit that I have limited patience with that sort of wanking.  Just my perspective, and not any GMG policy recommendation.

I have patience to extend, and to extend greatly, for many things in life.  But not that idling rubbish.

There:  I've just been about three shades too honest on the Internet.  But at least no one here is under any delusion that I may be a troll.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2018, 12:52:18 AM
Sure.  And I'll admit that I have limited patience with that sort of wanking.  Just my perspective, and not any GMG policy recommendation.

I have patience to extend, and to extend greatly, for many things in life.  But not that idling rubbish.

Yet you oftenly, if not always, felt the need to reply to his ravings instead of ignoring them.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 01:26:12 AM
Yet you oftenly, if not always, felt the need to reply to his ravings instead of ignoring them.  :)

Often is the adverb, no -ly is needed  0:)

You ought to have said, I replied, rather than, I felt the need to reply.  I know you do not mean me the discourtesy of presuming to know what I feel  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2018, 01:31:50 AM
Often is the adverb, no -ly is needed  0:)

https://wikidiff.com/oftenly/often

They say: As adverbs the difference between often and oftenly is that often is frequently, many times while oftenly is (nonstandard) often. Can you make heads or tails of that? I infer from it that the difference between them is that there's no difference. ???

You ought to have said, I replied, rather than, I felt the need to reply.  I know you do not mean me the discourtesy of presuming to know what I feel  8)

I actually thought about that just after posting. 

Anyway, I always wondered why on Earth didn't you just ignore his rants? With your replies you did nothing but invite him to go on.  :laugh:

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 01:40:15 AM

They say: As adverbs the difference between often and oftenly is that often is frequently, many times while oftenly is (nonstandard) often. Can you make heads or tails of that? [...]

Hm, I thought that oftenly should be frequent.

(Just felt the need to rep.)

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on August 30, 2018, 03:56:43 AM
Hm, I thought that oftenly should be frequent.

(Just felt the need to rep.)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very, very good!

Marc

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 03:59:46 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very, very good!

I would not be surprised if the Dutch language/grammar is even more confusing... apart from all the strange noises we are making. (Hnnnggggggggggg :-[.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 01:40:15 AM

They say: As adverbs the difference between often and oftenly is that often is frequently, many times while oftenly is (nonstandard) often. Can you make heads or tails of that? I infer from it that the difference between them is that there's no difference. ???

Is wikidiff.com a . . . source?

I shouldn't think there's any difference in meaning.  My entrenched opinion (even if an antique usage were found) is that oftenly just ain't English, or ain't English no more.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Marc on August 30, 2018, 04:09:19 AM
I would not be surprised if the Dutch language/grammar is even more confusing... apart from all the strange noises we are making. (Hnnnggggggggggg :-[.)

I had a course in Dutch while living in Eindhoven. Gave me a lot of headache and to my great surprise in the final exam I fared better in speaking than in reading comprehension.  :D

That gggggggghhhhhhh always made me wonder whether the speaker was in imminent danger of death by suffocation....  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2018, 04:25:49 AM
Is wikidiff.com a . . . source?

Actually, the most coherent I could find.  :laugh:

I shouldn't think there's any difference in meaning.  My entrenched opinion (even if an antique usage were found) is that oftenly just ain't English, or ain't English no more.

Well, they say it's nonstandard:D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 04:28:17 AM
Well, they say it's nonstandard:D

They do.  I'm only sharing with you, limited viewpoint though it be, that I have never heard or seen that word in use.

Before this morning.

I am morally prepared to consider nonstandard a sharp understatement in the present instance  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2018, 04:35:28 AM
They do.  I'm only sharing with you, limited viewpoint though it be, that I have never heard or seen that word in use.

Before this morning.

Why, it's not the first time I used it here. It's certainly going to be the last, though.

North Star

I don't recall seeing oftenly before either, except a few earlier posts by Florestan. OED says it's Now U.S. regional (rare)., and the last real quotation of its use is from 1751.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 30, 2018, 04:39:25 AM
Why, it's not the first time I used it here. It's certainly going to be the last, though.

Quote from: North Star on August 30, 2018, 06:05:32 AM
I don't recall seeing oftenly before either, except a few earlier posts by Florestan. OED says it's Now U.S. regional (rare)., and the last real quotation of its use is from 1751.

My dear, Andrei, I do hope you did not take my post as somehow harsher than I intended;  I fear I may owe you an apology.  I never heard or read it, but I also acknowledge that that fact alone is inconclusive—it was only here on GMG that I learnt that ahold is a legitimate English word (which struck my then-under-informed eye as . . . a barbarism).

And, thank you, Karlo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

And you claim that this discussion is more worth reading than anything that synppr posted?