Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 07:05:15 AM
Manchildren. It's where we are now as a global society. An over inflated sense of importance. I'm not referring to such as oor Scarpia in that way, because he has frequently spoken of time limitations. But the rest of it is BS.
Anyway, as I always say, I hope that they're happy, healthy, and at peace. But who knows exactly why anyone does anything. Speaking only for myself, I'm here (intermittently) because it improves my quality of life. And I'll always appreciate that.

And so say all of us :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 07:05:15 AM
Manchildren. It's where we are now as a global society. An overinflated semsey of importance. I'm not referring to such as oor Scarpia in that way, because he has frequently spoken of time limitations. But the rest of it is BS.
Anyway, as I always say, I hope that they're happy, healthy, and at peace. But who knows exactly why anyone does anything. Speaking only for myself, I'm here (intermittently) because it improves my quality of life. And I'll always appreciate that.

I wouldn't call my leaving 'BS'. In fact, it's really been a long-time coming. I'll get to the jest of what I'm trying to say: I have found that there are certain members that roam this board that are completely free to say and act however they please without consequence. What's the point of a moderator when all they do is see only one side of the argument? A moderator much like a mediator should be able to sort out the messes and discourse that comes along, but I feel the moderators here don't do this and have taken a 'hands off' approach, which, in theory is nice, but for all practical purposes doesn't really work and will never work. A forum without some kind of order is the equivalent of a society without law. Anyway, I'm just tired of this place. I'm tired of being slammed and thrown into a blender every time I've 'touched a nerve'. I'm tired of being singled out when there's actually plenty of blame to go around and there's no accountability. It's just not a fun place to come to anymore and it doesn't improve my life whenever there are people that allow various members to go off the deep end while I'm stuck on the shallow end of the pool with no admittance to enter the other side.

So finally, I say goodbye and I wish all of you (the ones that have actually shown me nothing but kindness) the very best in your endeavors and I hope that music continues to enrich your lives as it has my own.

Brian

Now I'm going to say some mean things about MI so he comes back to reply to them.  ;D

NikF4

Edited by Knight because it broke various of the site rules.

I think that both of the posters involved had been advised to ignore one another's posts. That would be the wise thing to do in future as clearly neither of you can get on with one another.

Knight

Papy Oli

Olivier

NikF4

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 12, 2019, 09:54:25 AM

0:)

Got to love reaction gifs!images - the last resort of those too impotent to say what they mean. And speaking of that, your current profile photo ('Stephan Fleeting' or something) is a nice rip off of Avedon.

Papy Oli

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 09:59:05 AM
Got to love reaction gifs!images - the last resort of those too impotent to say what they mean. And speaking of that, your current profile photo ('Stephan Fleeting' or something) is a nice rip off of Avedon.

Some bits of your post reminded me of Malcolm tucker. Sometimes it is that simple.

As for my profile photo, it is a picture of Raymond Goethals, a late Belgian football coach. No idea who took it. He was a grumpy ar$e (I can relate) but a fun character. Just loved that pic and have had it for years here.
Olivier

NikF4

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 12, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
Some bits of your post reminded me of Malcolm tucker. Sometimes it is that simple.

As for my profile photo, it is a picture of Raymond Goethals, a late Belgian football coach. No idea who took it. He was a grumpy ar$e (I can relate) but a fun character. Just loved that pic and have had it for years here.

Yeah, I know who he is. I can faintly remember his team at the 1972 Euros. I was referring to the photo which is (probably an unconsciously) ironic take that's flying way over the head of amateur/Internet photographers, somewhere along the lines of such bollocks as '85mm is a good focal length on a cropped sensor'.
Apart from that, fair enough.

Shade of Baron Scarpia

I could have called myself Shadow of Baron Scarpia, but that would have proved Ken B right.

I should not have pulled the drama-queen move of deleting my account. So here I am, although I do not intent to participate further. I hope I have the will power to follow through on that resolve. I don't have the time or energy, due to life circumstances. Mostly I regret this flareup of negativity that was an indirect result of my account deletion. When you toss a stone in a pond you can't always anticipate where the ripples will go.

SurprisedByBeauty

Good Lord, this is where the action is, apparently.  ???

schnittkease

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on June 12, 2019, 11:35:09 AM
Good Lord, this is where the action is, apparently.  ???

You can say that again.

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on June 11, 2019, 06:10:30 PM
Baron Scarpia seems to have de-membered himself!
Sorry to hear that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Where have all these arguments supposedly in desperate need of moderation been taking place?

I guess I must be spending too much time in the safe space of the Trump thread.

Ken B

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 12, 2019, 08:28:41 PM
Where have all these arguments supposedly in desperate need of moderation been taking place?

I guess I must be spending too much time in the safe space of the Trump thread.
Not a composer I know at all well.
I think I heard his Concerto for Megaphone.

Marc

Quote from: Ken B on June 12, 2019, 08:59:01 PM
Not a composer I know at all well.
I think I heard his Concerto for Megaphone.

LOL

knight66

Good Morning from Scotland folks. The heated exchanges have been dealt with, the delay due to Mods being at work or asleep.

When things get heated, remember why people turn up here and try to bear in mind the site rules.

Regards,

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

NikF4

Apparently there's a rule about not disclosing the contents of a PM. If doing so is against the rules and results in a banning, fair enough - at least it'll offer the moderators the opportunity to show they're not hypocrites who wave the rule book only when it suits.

I've been told in a PM by knight66 that regarding my suggestion of Scarpia being the only member with the balls to get in to a boxing ring with me "...that was not banter, it was an implied threat to others on the site." An implied threat to others. Fucking BS.

From the site rules, as posted by the owner/admin -
"As administrator of the forum, I will NOT intervene in discussions/arguments of a religious or political nature, and I will ask the other moderators to do likewise. I am not qualified to do so, have no interest in doing so, and will not waste my time sorting out these discussions." - while one moderator is happy to harbour a racist and anti-Semite to make sure his posts are deemed acceptable. Hypocrisy. At least two of the moderators are such hypocrites who choose to enforce the rules when it suits them. It's as simple as that and the constant back and forth and arguments with people leaving is a result of that moderation 'style'.

"An implied threat to others" - pathetic. knight66, you're what's known in Scotland as a 'Shitebag', so hitch up your kilt and go change your drawers.

If the ban hammer falls I know that anyone who wants to get in touch with me already has contact details.

knight66

Quote from: NikF4 on June 13, 2019, 03:10:49 AM
Apparently there's a rule about not disclosing the contents of a PM. If doing so is against the rules and results in a banning, fair enough - at least it'll offer the moderators the opportunity to show they're not hypocrites who wave the rule book only when it suits.

I've been told in a PM by knight66 that regarding my suggestion of Scarpia being the only member with the balls to get in to a boxing ring with me "...that was not banter, it was an implied threat to others on the site." An implied threat to others. Fucking BS.

From the site rules, as posted by the owner/admin -
"As administrator of the forum, I will NOT intervene in discussions/arguments of a religious or political nature, and I will ask the other moderators to do likewise. I am not qualified to do so, have no interest in doing so, and will not waste my time sorting out these discussions." - while one moderator is happy to harbour a racist and anti-Semite to make sure his posts are deemed acceptable. Hypocrisy. At least two of the moderators are such hypocrites who choose to enforce the rules when it suits them. It's as simple as that and the constant back and forth and arguments with people leaving is a result of that moderation 'style'.

"An implied threat to others" - pathetic. knight66, you're what's known in Scotland as a 'Shitebag', so hitch up your kilt and go change your drawers.

If the ban hammer falls I know that anyone who wants to get in touch with me already has contact details.

I really don't know what you are referring to re antisemitism. And to provide some further context, this member lives in the same part of Edinburgh that I do. He first of all suggested I try saying what I said to his face and then when I suggested that might be interesting, as he seemingly has seen me around, he called me a paedophile looking old fool. And I don't see why this kind of thing should be kept confidential frankly.

And this is because I suggest not breaking the rules of being civil to one another and deleted a post.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

pjme

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 09:59:05 AM
And speaking of that, your current profile photo ('Stephan Fleeting' or something) is a nice rip off of Avedon.

Check out Stephan Vanfleteren ((Belgium/Kortrijk, 1969) :
http://stephanvanfleteren.com/nl

Later this year in the Antwerp photography museum:
https://www.fotomuseum.be/tentoonstellingen/Stephan_Vanfleteren.html

He made some great portraits:

http://500photographers.blogspot.com/2010/07/photographer-065-stephan-vanfleteren.html

NikF4

Quote from: pjme on June 13, 2019, 03:41:22 AM
Check out Stephan Vanfleteren ((Belgium/Kortrijk, 1969) :
http://stephanvanfleteren.com/nl

Later this year in the Antwerp photography museum:
https://www.fotomuseum.be/tentoonstellingen/Stephan_Vanfleteren.html

He made some great portraits:

http://500photographers.blogspot.com/2010/07/photographer-065-stephan-vanfleteren.html

Yeah, that's the name I was thinking of.

Whereas, Avedon -

Cheers for the link. I'll check it out at my leisure.

e: kind of along the lines of 'knowing the rules before you can break them' or whatever that saying is.

FWIW (probably fuck all) the words my old boss used to instill those rules, when teaching me a rough guide to (35mm) focal lengths in reference to photographing women -

24mm eyes to toes
50mm eyes to trim
85mm eyes to tits
105mm eyes to teeth