Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Que on June 15, 2019, 02:26:00 AM
Contrary to middle/upper class beliefs, pedigree is hugely overrated IMO.

This is my experience as well.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

There are different degrees of crossing the line. I personally don't see how there is any going back from threatening someone and calling him a pedophile.

There's always American politics.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on June 15, 2019, 05:37:49 AM
There's always American politics.

I have it on a trustworthy source that the first POTUS ever to be accused of trampling over the USA Constitution, and of being a traitor to the Founding Fathers' ideas, was George Washington.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

bhodges

Fortunately there are some that will just admit that they got carried away a bit, and good heartedly move on. Real (gentle)men... I mean, we all have our weak moments of bad judgment, and we all are bound to annoy someone at some moment in time - I'm sure I do.... 8) But dealing with that in a mature way separates the good from the bad.

We can call ourselves lucky that the forum currently needs a minimum of moderating. For some it is too little, for some any moderating is too much.It's a hard call. Most of the time, intervening will make matters worse. But sometimes things have to get worse, before they get better.

My faves of the good points here, just so people know that the mods are generally in agreement. None of us is perfect.

Quote from: Florestan on June 15, 2019, 05:21:48 AM
Bottom line, I'd like to express my honest opinion that GMG is generally a place where any member can freely express his / her opinion without any fear they'll be censored, except in such extreme cases as insulting another member in the grossest manner possible.

I know we don't interact much here -- likely because our musical interests don't often overlap -- but I appreciate this comment, and others, in your reply above.

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Quote from: owlice on May 21, 2019, 04:25:26 PM
How long does one have to be gone to be considered missing, I wonder...

owlice & I enjoyed a wonderful catch-up dinner in the people's republic of Cambridge yesterday.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2019, 02:14:07 PM
owlice & I enjoyed a wonderful catch-up dinner in the people's republic of Cambridge yesterday.

How very nice Karl
:)

I've now worked out what 'POTUS' means - only took me a fortnight!  ::)

Hope you are doing well.

Jeffrey

PS Pohjola's Daughter still seems to be lost in Tuonela. Hope she is ok.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on June 17, 2019, 09:36:20 PM
How very nice Karl

Hope you are doing well.

Jeffrey

PS Pohjola's Daughter still seems to be lost in Tuonela. Hope she is ok.

Now you have to figure SCOTUS and FLOTUS !  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 18, 2019, 05:43:20 AM
Now you have to figure SCOTUS and FLOTUS !  ;D

No idea so I had to cheat:

Supreme  Court.....

First Lady.....
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2019, 05:13:45 AM
I heard from her last week. Her cat was run over and being a massive cat lover she is devastated by this. Due to her seemingly abandoning ship I did wonder if she had migrated back to Haydnesque but I have nothing to back that up.

Thanks Lol,

As a cat lover myself I know how devastating that can be.

When my PM system is back in action I'll contact her.

greg

During my tenure as a moderator I've encountered "gentlemen" of supposedly perfect pedigree foaming at the mouth and turning to vicious verbal abuse, just because they don't like to be told they were out of line.
Hahahaha I think I know who you're talking about  ;D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Christo

The person concerned has had no idea himself for 2,5 years already.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 19, 2019, 07:07:03 AM
The person concerned has had no idea himself for 2,5 years already.
Good point!

It's fortunate that the UK's likely next PM is such a beacon of integrity.  ::)

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 19, 2019, 09:54:45 PM
Good point!

It's fortunate that the UK's likely next PM is such a beacon of integrity.  ::)
Such a pity he couldn't find time to meet with OMNIPOTUS during his recent state visit:  :D
https://www.youtube.com/v/1hsiuEEcGTo
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 19, 2019, 10:04:15 PM
Such a pity he couldn't find time to meet with OMNIPOTUS during his recent state visit:  :D
https://www.youtube.com/v/1hsiuEEcGTo
Excellent!

owlice

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2019, 02:14:07 PM
Indeed we did!! And we had much much much to catch up on!!! It was a fabulous time!!!

BTW, the overwalk to the restaurant turned out to be helpful later as I wandered toward wherever it was I was going. :-)

Karl Henning

Quote from: owlice on June 23, 2019, 08:54:09 PM
Indeed we did!! And we had much much much to catch up on!!! It was a fabulous time!!!

BTW, the overwalk to the restaurant turned out to be helpful later as I wandered toward wherever it was I was going. :-)

Ambling about Cambridge can almost always be turned to good account.

Next time, I'll show you a chocolate joint (place, that is)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

The species, a predator, is better known as Potus Raptus.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 25, 2019, 10:02:38 PM
The species, a predator, is better known as Potus Raptus.

aligreto

I have only had sporadic attendance here recently but it would seem that cilgwyn has deleted his account. Have I missed something? This is a most regrettable development if this is the case.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on July 19, 2019, 08:13:15 AM
I have only had sporadic attendance here recently but it would seem that cilgwyn has deleted his account. Have I missed something? This is a most regrettable development if this is the case.

I have no idea why he left but it is indeed regrettable. I thoroughly enjoy his unique posts. Going to miss him.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"