Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Wakefield

I always thought that Opus106 (Navneeth) would return sooner or later...

PS: If he had been posting under a different pen-name, it would be good news.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

premont

Quote from: Gordo on August 08, 2019, 12:22:42 PM

PS: If he had been posting under a different pen-name, it would be good news.  :)

I do not think he has.  He also left TC, as far as I recall about the same time. You are not the only one to miss him.

May I add, that I also miss you, when you take those long breaks.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 08, 2019, 12:30:36 PM
May I add, that I also miss you, when you take those long breaks.

Thanks, dear Poul! Although I have been posting very rarely during the last years, I always follow the messages and conversations on this board, particularly yours (*) and the ones by other good friends here. 

(*) As you are the most reliable voice that I know on Bach's keyboard and instrumental music.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

André

I like this thread ! Despite occasional frictions between members, every absence is duly noted and regretted.  :)

Alek Hidell

On a more positive note, I'm glad to see that jwinter has returned.

One I especially miss is edward (he of the green alien avatar). I'm sure he was mentioned many pages back, but I do miss his contributions.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alek Hidell on August 08, 2019, 06:10:22 PM

One I especially miss is edward (he of the green alien avatar). I'm sure he was mentioned many pages back, but I do miss his contributions.

I should send Edward a message.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: André on August 08, 2019, 01:17:50 PM
I like this thread ! Despite occasional frictions between members, every absence is duly noted and regretted.  :)
+1
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wakefield

Quote from: André on August 08, 2019, 01:17:50 PM

+2
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Yes, I was glad too! It's quite curious, here you become to feel quite close to some people, even if you never have direct interaction or a conversation with them.  :)
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 08, 2019, 12:22:42 PM

Interesting coincidence: I was just thinking this earlier today. I had many pleasant conversations with Navneeth, my lone contact with India. And things have happened in Chennai recently that I would have asked him about... :-\  Well, I am not a misser of people; ordinarily they left of their own volition so I wish them well, but once in a while... :(

8)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Agree with both those things, jwinter was gone for a long time, I didn't think he would ever return. And edward was just a nice guy. We didn't like the same music, but I always respected his opinions on the music he did like because he expressed them well and respected others' thoughts. So it goes. The big wipeout last year was tough on membership. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 15, 2019, 07:07:23 PM

Interesting coincidence: I was just thinking this earlier today. I had many pleasant conversations with Navneeth, my lone contact with India. And things have happened in Chennai recently that I would have asked him about... :-\  Well, I am not a misser of people; ordinarily they left of their own volition so I wish them well, but once in a while... :(

8)

I understand a Texan boy (even adoptive) can't afford that kind of weakness.  ;D ;)
-- Voltaire

jwinter

Quote from: Gordo on August 15, 2019, 06:30:20 PM
Yes, I was glad too! It's quite curious, here you become to feel quite close to some people, even if you never have direct interaction or a conversation with them.  :)

Happy to be back, and thanks for the kind thoughts :)

If anyone's curious, my long break had nothing to do with anyone or anything here...  as several others have mentioned, raising 2 children will tend to re-prioritize one's life.  I was obliged to spend a lot less time on the internet, as well as having greatly reduced opportunity for classical music listening (not to mention reduced funding for purchases).  It wasn't so much a conscious choice to leave as a case of getting distracted and pulled into other things.

But my kids are now in middle and high school, so my free time is opening back up.  I put on a CD a few months ago, which brought back to mind pleasant memories of GMG, and so I logged back in.  If I'm being honest, I've also been fighting back a bit of depression the past few months, since my mom passed away over the holidays -- feeling a part of a community helps a little, especially one that is a complete shift from my day-to-day life (not many folks in my circle of friends who've even heard of Bruckner, much less can hold up an argument on Jochum EMI vs DG in the 8th). 

I've been re-reading some of the old stuff (dug up my copy of the old "Fighting About Chopin" thread, and have been slowly working my way through Gurn's Haydn Haus, all 200 + pages of it).  Funny how one's taste changes over time.  It is a bit sad to see so many of the old familiar names gone, though I guess I'm not in a position to talk :)  Though hopefully some of our missing folks are in a similar situation to mine, and may stop by again when life turns back around, as it often does... and it is good to see some newer members as well, with whom I hope to become better acquainted. 

Cheers!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 15, 2019, 07:43:13 PM
I understand a Texan boy (even adoptive) can't afford that kind of weakness.  ;D ;)

:D  Well, that's not it, really, it's that I have always tried to treat everyone here fairly, whether I personally like them or I don't, or I don't even have an opinion about them. It seems like in the end, that carries over into however they have decided to leave. Sometimes I miss people we have booted out more than ones who have left on their own!!

Quote from: jwinter on August 16, 2019, 06:05:01 AM

...as several others have mentioned, raising 2 children will tend to re-prioritize one's life.  I was obliged to spend a lot less time on the internet, as well as having greatly reduced opportunity for classical music listening (not to mention reduced funding for purchases).  It wasn't so much a conscious choice to leave as a case of getting distracted and pulled into other things. 

Case in point; I knew why jwinter had left, and even though I missed talking to him about things of mutual interest, I felt like putting things in perspective was good with me. Glad you're back though, JW. :)

In short, best thing is to acknowledge that life has had others move on in their own direction and just bid 'adieu', and move on in your own direction.

I miss Gabriel. So it goes. :)

8)

André

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 16, 2019, 06:28:48 AM
:D  Well, that's not it, really, it's that I have always tried to treat everyone here fairly, whether I personally like them or I don't, or I don't even have an opinion about them. It seems like in the end, that carries over into however they have decided to leave. Sometimes I miss people we have booted out more than ones who have left on their own!!

Case in point; I knew why jwinter had left, and even though I missed talking to him about things of mutual interest, I felt like putting things in perspective was good with me. Glad you're back though, JW. :)

In short, best thing is to acknowledge that life has had others move on in their own direction and just bid 'adieu', and move on in your own direction.

I miss Gabriel. So it goes. :)

8)

I miss him too! Last I heard he was in France for his studies, but that's a long time ago. Maybe he's back in Chile.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on August 16, 2019, 08:56:21 AM
I miss him too! Last I heard he was in France for his studies, but that's a long time ago. Maybe he's back in Chile.

Oh yes, nearly 10 years, I think. You know, you always like best those who agree with you most...  :D :D

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gordo on August 15, 2019, 06:30:20 PM
I think that this is true. And then it can be disconcerting, if you've had all these exchanges with them, and then they suddenly leave. I think that it's a bit easier if there is an obvious reason or an explanation. In the case of Cilgwyn, for example, it's the abrupt departure, without explanation, which I find disconcerting. These relationships may be long distance and 'virtual' but they are still relationships.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: jwinter on August 16, 2019, 06:05:01 AM

If anyone's curious, my long break had nothing to do with anyone or anything here...  as several others have mentioned, raising 2 children will tend to re-prioritize one's life.  I was obliged to spend a lot less time on the internet, as well as having greatly reduced opportunity for classical music listening (not to mention reduced funding for purchases).  It wasn't so much a conscious choice to leave as a case of getting distracted and pulled into other things.

But my kids are now in middle and high school, so my free time is opening back up.  I put on a CD a few months ago, which brought back to mind pleasant memories of GMG, and so I logged back in.  If I'm being honest, I've also been fighting back a bit of depression the past few months, since my mom passed away over the holidays -- feeling a part of a community helps a little, especially one that is a complete shift from my day-to-day life (not many folks in my circle of friends who've even heard of Bruckner, much less can hold up an argument on Jochum EMI vs DG in the 8th). 

I've been re-reading some of the old stuff (dug up my copy of the old "Fighting About Chopin" thread, and have been slowly working my way through Gurn's Haydn Haus, all 200 + pages of it).  Funny how one's taste changes over time.  It is a bit sad to see so many of the old familiar names gone, though I guess I'm not in a position to talk :)  Though hopefully some of our missing folks are in a similar situation to mine, and may stop by again when life turns back around, as it often does... and it is good to see some newer members as well, with whom I hope to become better acquainted. 

Cheers!
I think that our musical tastes may not overlap that much but good to see you back here and sorry to hear about your mom.

jwinter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice