Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Spineur on March 18, 2020, 10:22:19 AMIt is time for me to tell you about the pieces I fell in love with, in the appropriate threads.

Now we're talking! See you on the Vaughan Williams Veranda, wine or no wine (I just own about 50 botles, they tend to be short-living).  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Cato

I am not exactly missing, but it seems as if this Internet Schoolin' Thinga-Ma-Bob will be much more galling, frustrating, tedious, time-consuming, and overall educationally disastrous than anyone knew.

Except for me: I predicted a disaster, and the ship of my school began sinking yesterday.   ???  Whether it sinks slowly or quickly will not matter much!   8)

As a result, I barely have time to type this, since I am expected to answer literally dozens of e-mails from parents and students about...anything and everything!  Few are legitimate questions, most stem from incompetence.   ;)

Back to checking for the latest e-mail flurry!  In my head I am playing the Sibelius Seventh Symphony right now.   Earlier it was Hartmann's Eighth Symphony and Scriabin's (via Alexander Nemtin) opening movement to the Mysterium.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Cato on March 19, 2020, 09:30:35 AM
I am not exactly missing, but it seems as if this Internet Schoolin' Thinga-Ma-Bob will be much more galling, frustrating, tedious, time-consuming, and overall educationally disastrous than anyone knew.

Except for me: I predicted a disaster, and the ship of my school began sinking yesterday.   ???  Whether it sinks slowly or quickly will not matter much!   8)

As a result, I barely have time to type this, since I am expected to answer literally dozens of e-mails from parents and students about...anything and everything!  Few are legitimate questions, most stem from incompetence.   ;)

Back to checking for the latest e-mail flurry!  In my head I am playing the Sibelius Seventh Symphony right now.   Earlier it was Hartmann's Eighth Symphony and Scriabin's (via Alexander Nemtin) opening movement to the Mysterium.

Can you create a FAQ? Maybe that would be something you could send out periodically for kids to consult (maybe daily initially and then less so as time goes one)? Of course, this only works if the questions are overlapping to a reasonable degree.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

JBS

Announce to your students you will only answer emails that are written in Latin.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on March 19, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
Announce to your students you will only answer emails that are written in Latin.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

A much needed laugjter in these hard times, thank you!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Symphonic Addict

Welcome back, Spineur! I hope you and the others are safe in these turbulent times.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 19, 2020, 01:48:01 PM
Welcome back, Spineur! I hope you and the others are safe in these turbulent times.

Yes!!!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Cato

I am approaching that threshold!   0:)  Except it would probably mean more things to correct!   ;)  Quizzes on paper which would take me 20 minutes to grade with a pen are now taking all day!  And I mean from 6:30 A.M. until 8:30 P.M. with very little respite in between.   0:)

GioCar

Nice to see you again, Spineur!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on March 19, 2020, 04:54:01 PM
I am approaching that threshold!   0:)  Except it would probably mean more things to correct!   ;)  Quizzes on paper which would take me 20 minutes to grade with a pen are now taking all day!  And I mean from 6:30 A.M. until 8:30 P.M. with very little respite in between.   0:)
Nooo!   :o :(
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 21, 2020, 04:10:04 AM
Nooo!   :o :(

Unfortunately, yes, and yesterday also took longer: 20 quizzes kept me busy all day with constant e-mails with corrections...because it is impossible now to do anything en masse.

So, I will be reducing the size of the quizzes to probably 3 sentences, and will grade them only once.  If errors persist, too bad: that will be the grade you get!

This coming week is our scheduled Spring vacation (there was also an Easter Vacation scheduled, but it is unclear if that will be cancelled), so a respite is coming.

Perhaps I can listen to a CD or two then!   ;) 

vandermolen

I can identify with you very much Leo. My experience at school has not been dissimilar. I'm now starting to receive 'help me now' type emails from students who didn't bother to listen in the lesson to the 'online lesson' instructions. Some of them live in different time zones and the internet connections can be unreliable. What could possibly go wrong?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2020, 04:47:48 AM
I can identify with you very much Leo. My experience at school has not been dissimilar. I'm now starting to receive 'help me now' type emails from students who didn't bother to listen in the lesson to the 'online lesson' instructions. Some of them live in different time zones and the internet connections can be unreliable. What could possibly go wrong?

Many thanks for the nice response!

2020 has turned out to be much more hectic than I wanted!  It seems that Ken B has left the GMG club?  Was there a reason or did he just fade away?

ritter

I seem to remember there was some altercation some months ago, with accusations being flung back and forth, and then Ken deleted his account. I can't for the life of me remember what it was all about. Very sad.

I'm also worried about John (Mirror Image). He's been absent for more than a week, and AFAIK this time around he didn't announce his departure for any reason. I sent him a PM, but there's been no reply.

Cato

Quote from: ritter on March 26, 2020, 06:48:44 AM
I seems to remember there was some altercation some months ago, with accusations being flung back and forth, and then Ken deleted his account. I can't for the life of me remember what it was all about. Very sad.

I'm also worried about John (Mirror Image). He's been absent for more than a week, and AFAIK this time around he didn't announce his departure for any reason. I sent him a PM, but there's been no reply.

What else can be said?!   

Pohjolas Daughter

Maybe he's hunkered down dealing with family matters, work, etc. during all of this chaos?
Pohjolas Daughter

Ratliff

Quote from: ritter on March 26, 2020, 06:48:44 AM
I seems to remember there was some altercation some months ago, with accusations being flung back and forth, and then Ken deleted his account. I can't for the life of me remember what it was all about. Very sad.

It was an altercation about what could be discussed in a thread. The substance of the tread was irrelevant. Pointless.

QuoteI'm also worried about John (Mirror Image). He's been absent for more than a week, and AFAIK this time around he didn't announce his departure for any reason. I sent him a PM, but there's been no reply.

Worrying. For John the flamboyant announcement of departure is usually the main reason for departing. His Facebook has also been quiet. He works in retail, I believe, and might be at high risk of exposure. I hope he's safe. I just found out that a former work colleague likely has it, quarantined at home with high fever and flu-like symptoms.

North Star

John (MI) is taking a break from classical music, I'm sure he'll return sooner or later.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on March 26, 2020, 10:31:29 AM
John (MI) is taking a break from classical music, I'm sure he'll return sooner or later.

Very good; kiitos, Karlo!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot