Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 07:58:29 AM
This topic can be thought on in several ways, what about "true to the score vs. subjectivity"?

The topic I mean is hinted at in Knight66's post above, which alluded to another of its subsets. And here's my hint: one word only suffices to define it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:06:51 AM
The topic I mean is hinted at in Knight66's post above, which alluded to another of its subsets. And here's my hint: one word only suffices to define it.

Interpretation?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:06:51 AM

Atonal
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 08:17:29 AM
Interpretation?

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 11, 2020, 08:19:02 AM
Atonal

Both subsets of that one single topic.

Come on, folks, it's Columbus' egg, really.

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:20:45 AM
Both subsets of that one single topic.

Come on, folks, it's Columbus' egg, really.

Music?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 08:22:53 AM
Music?

Bingo!  :D

We all profess to love music and it's true. Start a topic on one's favorite this or that and divergence and conflict will arise quickly.  :D

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:23:46 AM
Bingo!  :D

We all profess to love music and it's true. Start a topic on one's favorite this or that and divergence and conflict will arise quickly.  :D

Not surprising in a music forum BTW. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 11, 2020, 08:39:50 AM
Not surprising in a music forum BTW. :)

Of course not. My point is that singling out politics as potentially divisive and conflictual is not warranted. Music can be such, too. :D

Mirror Image

I have come to the conclusion that when I hit 50,000 posts, I'm going to retire from the forum. I've just reconnected with some folks at Talk Classical and all is going pretty well I must say.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 10:10:13 AM
I have come to the conclusion that when I hit 50,000 posts, I'm going to retire from the forum.

Where did you get such a foolish idea, John?  :D

You can't be serious.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 10:24:15 AM
Where did you get such a foolish idea, John?  :D

You can't be serious.

I don't know, it just feels like a good stopping point. Plus, several GMGers are on Talk Classical now more than are on here.

Harry

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 10:10:13 AM
I have come to the conclusion that when I hit 50,000 posts, I'm going to retire from the forum. I've just reconnected with some folks at Talk Classical and all is going pretty well I must say.

A man has to do what a man has to do. If Talk classical is the place for you to be so be it.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Quote from: "Harry" on June 11, 2020, 10:52:04 AM

A man has to do what a man has to do. If Talk classical is the place for you to be so be it.

Well, when the members here are dropping like flies and heading to Talk Classical, then, yes, I'll go where there's a better environment.

Andante

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 11, 2020, 11:02:46 AM
Well, when the members here are dropping like flies and heading to Talk Classical, then, yes, I'll go where there's a better environment.

Believe me MI, TC is not a better environment.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Andante on June 11, 2020, 01:49:42 PMBelieve me MI, TC is not a better environment.

How so? If you'd like PM, please do, because I don't want to get any more off-topic than I already have.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 07:17:37 AM
Can you guess what topic, after politics, is the second most divisive and likely to turn people against each other here on GMG? :D

Schoenberg.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

I've missed the posts of Fergus/Aligreto and hope that Baron Scarpia returns in due course.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

premont

Quote from: Florestan on June 11, 2020, 08:42:49 AM
Of course not. My point is that singling out politics as potentially divisive and conflictual is not warranted. Music can be such, too. :D

Agreed, but arguing about music doesn't give rise to spiteful discussions equally often as arguing about politics and religion.

But how far the discussions go is first and foremost a question of moderation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

I do hope that the Baron and, if there are issues, Aligreto, do come back.  Busy at my end so don't have much time/energy to post at the moment, but do care about this forum and wish for peace.  There are so many contributors here whose contributions I value.   :)

Please, let us be kind to one another....life is so short and remember, we came here for the love of music.  Life is hard right now and we're all stressed-out.  What about being there for one another?  Give it a think.....

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

We need more women posters on this forum.