Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

prémont

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2020, 08:17:40 PM
+1 :(

I've also missed (Ghost of) Baron Scarpia's posts recently. He appears to have deleted his account...

I also miss Scarpia. His posts were always interesting. One can still meet him at TC.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 25, 2020, 01:48:38 PM
I also miss Scarpia. His posts were always interesting. One can still meet him at TC.

I wasn't aware that TC allowes political discussions.

prémont

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2020, 01:31:31 AM
I wasn't aware that TC allowes political discussions.

They tolerated for some time political comments in their corona thread, which BTW eventually was closed, because it degenerated into an unpleasant political discussion with too many attacks ad hominem. Scarpia was not a part of this.

And I miss him in our forum because of his musical insight.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2020, 02:56:57 AM
They tolerated for some time political comments in their corona thread, which BTW eventually was closed, because it degenerated into an unpleasant political discussion with too many attacks ad hominem. Scarpia was not a part of this.

And I miss him in our forum because of his musical insight.

No argument there.

But if discussions on US politics are for several the main attraction of GMG and the main reason to leave, either due to moderating policy or due to created animosity/negativity, then we are doing something seriously wrong here....

Q

Spotted Horses

I couldn't help but notice the suggestions that I left the forum because I am supposedly only interested in political posts. That has nothing to do with my departure. I left because I don't want to participate in a forum where I have been personally attacked by a moderator (Que) and where uncivil personal attacks are tolerated (even though they are, in theory, against the rules). These come from a small number of posters who I think would be permanently banned from 99% of Internet forums (and in some cases have been banned from TC).

I also noticed I have been ridiculed because I am supposedly not interested in music and only want to post about politics. No, i rarely listen to music these days because of extremely difficult and painful personal circumstances which make listening to music almost impossible. Sorry about that. I would come here for some genial conversation, if that were possible.

I have an account here because if I occasionally want to look in I can't see "new posts" without an account. I do not foresee that I will participate here in the future. I do make the occasional contribution to TC, as was noted above.

Formerly Baron Scarpia

P.S., to those who have made appreciative remarks regarding my past participation here, a heartfelt thank you.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 26, 2020, 08:51:06 AM
I left because I don't want to participate in a forum where I have been personally attacked by a moderator (Que)

Just for the record: it's unfortunate if my response to your comments about moderating felt as a personal attack. That was not the point or intention.

Q

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2020, 02:56:57 AM
They tolerated for some time political comments in their corona thread, which BTW eventually was closed, because it degenerated into an unpleasant political discussion with too many attacks ad hominem. Scarpia was not a part of this

Talk Classical is to GMG what Arithemtic is to Calculus.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

I couldn't help but notice the suggestions that I left the forum because I am supposedly only interested in political posts. That has nothing to do with my departure. I left because I don't want to participate in a forum where I have been personally attacked by a moderator (Que) and where uncivil personal attacks are tolerated (even though they are, in theory, against the rules). These come from a small number of posters who I think would be permanently banned from 99% of Internet forums (and in some cases have been banned from TC).

I also noticed I have been ridiculed because I am supposedly not interested in music and only want to post about politics. No, i rarely listen to music these days because of extremely difficult and painful personal circumstances which make listening to music almost impossible. Sorry about that. I would come here for some genial conversation, if that were possible.

I have an account here because if I occasionally want to look in I can't see "new posts" without an account. I do not foresee that I will participate here in the future. I do make the occasional contribution to TC, as was noted above.

Formerly Baron Scarpia

P.S., to those who have made appreciative remarks regarding my past participation here, a heartfelt thank you.
I am very sorry that you feel that you were unwelcome.  I know that it's not easy in a virtual world to communicate easily.  I value this site and there are a number of members whose postings I value and enjoy reading.

It distresses me to hear that your are struggling physically to listen to music as I do believe that you love it.  I don't know if this is a permanent illness/pain that you are dealing with or something like the death of a loved one or some other issue that is making it hard for you to listen and enjoy music?  Trying to concentrate on things like music, reading, art...favorite interests/hobbies can be very hard these days and you're certainly not alone....plus just trying to get even the necessities done these days can take a lot more time and is more stressful due to Covid.

I truly wish you all the best and hope that you come back...when you're ready.
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

I agree with you. My participation has dwindled as a result. I'm sorry to report that nothing has really changed. I wish you the best!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 26, 2020, 12:22:19 PM
I am very sorry that you feel that you were unwelcome.  I know that it's not easy in a virtual world to communicate easily.  I value this site and there are a number of members whose postings I value and enjoy reading.

It distresses me to hear that your are struggling physically to listen to music as I do believe that you love it.  I don't know if this is a permanent illness/pain that you are dealing with or something like the death of a loved one or some other issue that is making it hard for you to listen and enjoy music?  Trying to concentrate on things like music, reading, art...favorite interests/hobbies can be very hard these days and you're certainly not alone....plus just trying to get even the necessities done these days can take a lot more time and is more stressful due to Covid.

I truly wish you all the best and hope that you come back...when you're ready.

Amen to all PD says.

If I can help in any way, you can reach me via here or Facebook.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 26, 2020, 05:21:38 PM
Amen to all PD says.

If I can help in any way, you can reach me via here or Facebook.

+1 from the other Jeffrey.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

AlberichUndHagen

+ 2 (from someone who is not named Jeffrey)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Thank all for the expressions of concern. Rest assured I am not physically ill. Not to involve you all too much in the soap opera of my life, I have a disabled dependent I must care for, who requires 24/7 supervision, and who will never live an independent life. Combined with other responsibilities, time available for listening to music is nil, now and for the foreseeable future.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 27, 2020, 06:40:20 AM
Thank all for the expressions of concern. Rest assured I am not physically ill. Not to involve you all too much in the soap opera of my life, I have a disabled dependent I must care for, who requires 24/7 supervision, and who will never live an independent life. Combined with other responsibilities, time available for listening to music is nil, now and for the foreseeable future.
All strength to you.

Spotted Horses

Thank you, even now I can hear the little voice in my head, "why are you wasting time on the computer again?" Or maybe it's not in my head this time. Hard to tell.