Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Since I've only read music threads for the past year (plus the book reading, TV watching, and cooking threads), I really have only the vaguest idea what this is about.  ??? Anyway...I encourage folks to consider the voluntary strategy of not engaging with political discussions.

I have strongly held political beliefs, of course, but made the determination long ago that communicating or debating them on this forum would be pointless. There are many people here (not just one or two) whose musical views I respect deeply but whose views on politics, or race, or women, or young people, or religion, are abhorrent to me, because classical music as an interest skews toward older, wealthier, more conservative, whiter people.

Perhaps it may seem cowardly or hypocritical to turn a blind eye toward the clear bigotry and misanthropy of some forum members in order to continue discussing music with them. But, on the other hand, nothing good could come of confronting them; no argument is sufficient to persuade them; no stranger on the internet has the power to change their hearts. And, honestly, they don't have to be my friends, just correspondents. I just want to talk about music and recordings and occasionally books, and will continue doing so.

I fully understand the views of those of you who cannot remain friendly or on-topic with people you (and I) believe to be horrible. That is probably a sign of a healthy conscience! Credit to you. And that certainly does make it hard for you to stay engaged with the board, if you insist on continuing to read those discussions. But ... that is a choice. Fortunately or not, I've chosen to remain ignorant, because there are only 2-3 other people in my life I can discuss classical music regularly with, and none are as knowledgeable or helpful or reliable on music as some of the people here whom I would never befriend in real life. So that's the choice I'm making. I don't judge you for making a different one, but this choice is available and it makes the forum a much more useful place.

The new erato

Good post Brian, which more or less reflects my own views.

André

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I was pleased to hear (PM) from Fergus (Aligreto) recently. I miss his postings. I'm not sure if he'll be back but I sincerely hope so.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2021, 06:58:26 AM
I was pleased to hear (PM) from Fergus (Aligreto) recently. I miss his postings. I'm not sure if he'll be back but I sincerely hope so.
Hope that all is well with him?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

I do miss Elgarian.  I've rung him a couple of times. Probably time I did so again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 12, 2021, 06:10:24 AM
I do miss Elgarian.  I've rung him a couple of times. Probably time I did so again.

Me, too, Karl. Very nice person and always a pleasure to speak with --- quite knowledgable as well. It was like having another Luke around (another member I miss).

knight66

I have edited the last few pages. For the moment I will leave the mod explanations, but they to will go once people have a chance to catch up.

I also very much miss Elgarian, we had lots of exchanges. Do give him my best if you contact him Karl.

Knight.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Herman

Quote from: knight66 on January 12, 2021, 01:39:57 AM

Bruce has highlighted that as in other social media, the general level of anxiety of many has been rising due to COVID, the US and the UK issues. There is more stress and tension about. We understand an outlet is needed. But as an online community, we can try some understanding with one another and to an extent look after one another.

Knight

I think this is a big factor.

André

Quote from: knight66 on January 12, 2021, 08:30:19 AM
I have edited the last few pages. For the moment I will leave the mod explanations, but they to will go once people have a chance to catch up.

I also very much miss Elgarian, we had lots of exchanges. Do give him my best if you contact him Karl.

Knight.

Good job, Mike. There was a lot of pollution lately.  :-X

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 12, 2021, 10:31:33 AM
Good job, Mike. There was a lot of pollution lately.  :-X
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2021, 06:58:26 AM

So did I. Unexpected and touched that he did so. I think he will return when he is ready.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2021, 07:43:34 AM
So did I. Unexpected and touched that he did so. I think he will return when he is ready.
+1
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2021, 07:43:34 AM
Excellent!  :)

DavidW

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 18, 2020, 06:07:14 AM
As pertaining to "missing members", are Scarpia, DavidW and Greg (Sock Monkey) still around?  Or reincarnated?

I miss Opus106 (Navneeth).  He was my very first classical music "friend" I had made about 15 years ago (via another forum), in my (and his) very early classical music exploration stage.

I'm glad to see that I was remembered ChamberNut.  My classical music discussion had been around the friends at work that have the same passion.  I also had a student that got into classical and I swear he was exhaustive in his enthusiasm.  Thanks to Spotify and Youtube he listened to what took me twenty years in just two years.  And he got me into Gurrelieder, which I had never heard before. 

I like going to concerts more than anything but thanks to you know what I've turned my attention back much more intensely to recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on January 18, 2021, 04:15:10 PM
I'm glad to see that I was remembered ChamberNut.  My classical music discussion had been around the friends at work that have the same passion.  I also had a student that got into classical and I swear he was exhaustive in his enthusiasm.  Thanks to Spotify and Youtube he listened to what took me twenty years in just two years.  And he got me into Gurrelieder, which I had never heard before. 

I like going to concerts more than anything but thanks to you know what I've turned my attention back much more intensely to recordings.

I mentioned you in Karl's thread about Zoom video chats. Anyway, it's good to see you posting again!

knight66

Quote from: DavidW on January 18, 2021, 04:15:10 PM

Welcome back David, I hope all is well with you.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Mirror Image

I haven't seen Florestan for awhile. I hope he's okay.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2021, 07:01:24 AM
I haven't seen Florestan for awhile. I hope he's okay.
His profile says he logged in today.