Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: Wanderer on February 14, 2021, 09:18:09 PM
This mentality is definitely part of the problem. But who cares, when... it's snowing outside my window right at this very moment. It's snowing in Athens!  8)

Nice!  :)
Snow here is melting away in the rains that have arrived this morning.

Pohjolas Daughter

This mentality is definitely part of the problem. But who cares, when... it's snowing outside my window right at this very moment. It's snowing in Athens!  8)
Snowing in Athens!  Wow!

In any event, learning how to not let everything drive you crazy and possibly overreact that someone (or ones) says/posts that you disagree with is certainly a challenge on a forum.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

It's not a "mentality". Facts that you don't personally like don't stop being facts. If you seriously think that you can change everything in the world just by wishing alternative facts into existence, you could make it snow in Athens every day you wanted.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Quote from: Madiel on February 15, 2021, 12:43:12 PM
It's not a "mentality".

It most certainly is. I will leave you arguing with your straw men while I enjoy my neighbourhood clad in white.  ;)

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 15, 2021, 05:11:45 AM
Snowing in Athens!  Wow!

Heavy snowfall at the moment and more forecasted for tomorrow.  8)

DavidW

I seriously feel like I'm living in the only part of the northern hemisphere to not see snow right now!  Even Athens... man...

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on February 15, 2021, 06:21:52 PM
I seriously feel like I'm living in the only part of the northern hemisphere to not see snow right now!  Even Athens... man...

My sister in Tennessee (and it isn't as if it's all that much) says the snow will shut her town down for a month. (I'm rather hoping that's winter-weary hyperbole.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on February 14, 2021, 10:54:53 PM
Nice!  :)
Snow here is melting away in the rains that have arrived this morning.

Freezing rain here. The sidewalk is a slippery hazard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

A fine winter so far. Only 20 cm fell during the night, a few more expected this morning. All the streets and entrance ways already scrubbed clean, the city and private machinery performing their usual ballet most efficiently.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 15, 2021, 06:56:52 PM
My sister in Tennessee (and it isn't as if it's all that much) says the snow will shut her town down for a month. (I'm rather hoping that's winter-weary hyperbole.

When I lived in Oklahoma there was an ice storm that shut everything down for two weeks.  You have to remember in the warmer part of the US we have no supplies to handle even a small amount of snow or ice and the results are usually devastating.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 16, 2021, 07:00:10 AM
When I lived in Oklahoma there was an ice storm that shut everything down for two weeks.  You have to remember in the warmer part of the US we have no supplies to handle even a small amount of snow or ice and the results are usually devastating.
Ice storms are the worst.  It can take what seems like forever to clear downed trees and restore electricity.  And a lot of people require electricity for both heating and/or cooking and hot water.
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on February 16, 2021, 07:00:10 AM

Too true.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 16, 2021, 08:22:36 AM
It can take what seems like forever to clear downed trees and restore electricity. 

Last time we had a hurricane here I was without power for an entire week!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 16, 2021, 08:57:29 AM
Last time we had a hurricane here I was without power for an entire week!
Youch!  Very sorry to hear that.  Yes, hurricanes can, and certainly have caused, catastrophic and horrific destruction.  :'(  Sadly, there are risks regardless of where one lives:  tropical storms, snow storms, ice, volcanoes, earthquakes, tornados, drought, fires....   :(

*I remember watching and reading what was going on during and after Hurricane Katrina (including what was not being done to help people there).

Have you given in and purchased a generator?
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I rent an apartment so no generator for me.  When I buy a house yes.

Mirror Image

I've mentioned him before, but it's worth mentioning again: I miss Dancing Divertimentian, but also Luke and Peter (Moonfish).

Florestan

I miss our Chilean friend Gordo. And Elgarian. And Ghost Sonata aka Zauberdrachen No. 7.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

I just checked another forum (the Art Music Forum) and I could see the former member cilgwyn posting there recently. I continuously wonder why he left this place and deleted his account. Hopefully he'll come back!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 16, 2021, 08:43:13 PM
I just checked another forum (the Art Music Forum) and I could see the former member cilgwyn posting there recently. I continuously wonder why he left this place and deleted his account. Hopefully he'll come back!
Very interesting Cesar. His disappearance from here was a total mystery as far as I'm concerned.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 17, 2021, 01:25:41 AM
Very interesting Cesar. His disappearance from here was a total mystery as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I always found his leaving to be strange because, to my knowledge, I don't believe anyone here upset him. Of course, something could've been happening in his personal life that none of us knew anything about.

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 16, 2021, 08:43:13 PM

A great character and a much missed member.