Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 13, 2021, 09:22:53 PM
Just realized that Nylon6 is the new Klavier's incarnation.

Ah, well I sent him a PM on the Hoffman forum anyway.

Mirror Image

I just received a message from Klavier via the Hoffman forum and he did in fact delete his account and the member Nylon6 is not him. He said he left because he felt there was too much arguing on this site to warrant any real musical discussion. He's not far from wrong I'm afraid.

Madiel

Depends which bit of the site you venture into, of course...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

I never understood members complaining about discussions here. If they aren't interested, why seek them out? It is quite easy to focus on the subjects which are the reasons for registering here.

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on September 16, 2021, 02:24:56 AM
I never understoos members complaining about discussions here. If they aren't interested, why seek them out? It is quite easy to focus on the subjects which are the reasons for registering here.

Forsooth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Yeah, in this case, I don't even know where the fighting was taking place.

Pohjolas Daughter

Perhaps they were reading old postings?   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2021, 05:48:07 AM
Yeah, in this case, I don't even know where the fighting was taking place.

I didn't understand it myself.  The only argument remember was snow and Sibelius.  Just stay out of politics and the coronavirus and you'll be happy.  This is primarily a music forum.

Mirror Image

I honestly believe that the political and COVID threads bring out the worst in members of this forum. Yes, one could ignore those threads, but even if you don't participate in those threads, the point is it happens all the time and is probably happening as I type this right now! I also don't understand how you get into a heated argument with a member on a political thread and turn around and post something praiseworthy to the same member on music thread. I guess I just find the whole contradictory nature of ripping someone to shreds on a political thread and being nice to them on a music thread to be strange.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 16, 2021, 07:24:54 PM
I honestly believe that the political and COVID threads bring out the worst in members of this forum. Yes, one could ignore those threads, but even if you don't participate in those threads, the point is it happens all the time and is probably happening as I type this right now! I also don't understand how you get into a heated argument with a member on a political thread and turn around and post something praiseworthy to the same member on music thread. I guess I just find the whole contradictory nature of ripping someone to shreds on a political thread and being nice to them on a music thread to be strange.

This!!

Madiel

For some people, arguing is not a personal exercise.

The problem is that for others it very much feels personal. It's difficult having those different personality types in one place.

As for the particular threads... we all know the US Politics thread has a fraught history. I've looked at the Covid-19 thread a couple of times and promptly run away (not least because if I'd stayed I might have said very nasty things to a couple of people that I generally enjoy discussing music with). But the toxicity of those topics is not due to anything particular about this forum, the toxicity is part of the culture (and especially but not exclusively American culture). It's not created here, it spills over here.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

The corona subject might be depressing in itself, but the current amount of quarelling on that forum section is certainly very limited, and thus manageable.

The new erato

The antivaxxers are probably desd, so nor so strange.

Brahmsian

Welcome back to Klavier!  :)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Wanderer on July 16, 2021, 07:35:10 AM
Good to know you're doing OK, Sarge. 😎

No.

All well and alive, thanks very much! Just a tad busy. And a little involvement in the forum doesn't quite do the trick; it's either full-on to be noticed or might-as-well-not-at-all. But I've retreated from CD reviewing, too, for a while, and only today got my first two reviews (not counting little reviews in German for a glossy fluff-magazine) under my belt in months.

Mirror Image

Good to see you again, Jens. 8)

Cato

I recently discovered that John of Scotland has returned and I am very gratified!

My own absences in the last month I explained once elsewhere, but here are the reasons: by daring to retire on the other side of 70, and buying a "retirement house," and therefore also selling the house where we had been living, I opened up a Soul-Gate through which we entered an Earthly Purgatory with Multiple Whammies descending upon us throughout the last 3 months!   ???

Despite having the retirement house inspected by a professional recommended by the realtor, it turns out that he must have taken massive bribes from the previous owners to overlook all kinds of problems in plumbing, wiring, insulation, and basic architecture, all of which were not obvious to our 70+-year old eyes and not obvious because we did not crawl through the attic and under the floor to look for problems.

Other problems were hidden by the previous owners' furniture and decorations: they also lived like pigs, which again was disguised by all of their clutter.

Let's just say that e.g. when we pulled the stove away from the wall, we nearly had to call the Environmental Protection Agency to warn of the release of assorted toxins!  Literally after 10 + hours of work, we finally had a clean stove and oven! At one point I suggested that we just buy a new stove!

So far, the bill for these unexpected repairs is c. $10,000, with possibly another $25,000 to go!

Despite all of that, the house's price was good enough - and what we profited from our previous house's sale was high enough - that we can handle these repairs and upgrades.

Soon, I will be "editing" my CD collection and offering things for sale e.g. Alois Haba's incredible quarter-tone opera The Mother and Arvo Paert's Miserere CD.

Best Wishes to all!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Iota

Blimey! Congratulations on surviving that and coming out intact! Hope you can now enjoy the fruits of your endeavours.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Iota on October 01, 2021, 10:34:23 AM
Blimey! Congratulations on surviving that and coming out intact! Hope you can now enjoy the fruits of your endeavours.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 01, 2021, 11:01:48 AM
Hear, hear!

The enjoyment has come in tiny bits and pieces so far!  8)  But yes, we estimate another two or three weeks of unpacking, organizing, and self-doubt ("WHY did we pack this and bring it up here?  WHY don't we just...say good-bye to it now?"   ;)  ) and things will be back to normal...or as normal as they can be for us!  8)

Quote from: Cato on October 01, 2021, 10:01:58 AM

My own absences in the last month I explained once elsewhere, but here are the reasons: by daring to retire on the other side of 70, and buying a "retirement house," and therefore also selling the house where we had been living, I opened up a Soul-Gate through which we entered an Earthly Purgatory with Multiple Whammies descending upon us throughout the last 3 months!   ???

And for those who do not know what a "whammy" is, it is ancient American slang for a curse or magic spell of evil!   0:)

At the end of this bizarre dance scene in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, (Music by Friedrich Hollander), the plumber asks the mad musician Doctor Terwilliger:

"What's the big idea trying to put the whammy on me?!"

8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/fpK3yEVp2T4

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)