Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: some guy on December 01, 2021, 10:08:16 AM
I am "OK," as far as that goes.

I still have cancer, and also I broke my back recently.

But I am back in Europe and so relatively content. I take my meds and feel fine, as fine as possible.

Thanks for asking! Apparently, I've been lurking just on the off-chance that someone would ask.  :)

It's nice hearing from you again, some guy. I'm truly sorry to hear what has transpired these past few years. I wish you a great recovery and that you're able to get on with your life and enjoy it.

SimonNZ

But I am back in Europe and so relatively content. I take my meds and feel fine, as fine as possible.

Thanks for asking! Apparently, I've been lurking just on the off-chance that someone would ask.  :)

One of the few things I miss from the other forum and one of the many things I miss from the time when I was listening to contemporary classical intensively was that it meant we would cross paths.

I'm very glad you checked in here, even under the circumstances.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
It's nice hearing from you again, some guy. I'm truly sorry to hear what has transpired these past few years. I wish you a great recovery and that you're able to get on with your life and enjoy it.
My thoughts too - all strength to you Some Guy.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 11:04:12 AM

+ 2.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

some guy

You guys!

You're making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

(How DARE you!!)

But seriously, yes. Yes to everything everyone's said. Vastly appreciated.

premont

I still have cancer...

I know how you feel, yes as far as it goes says all.
Send you my best wishes.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Well, excellent that you're still here, not so excellent that you're ill. I thought of you after listening to a quartet by Roger Reynolds - it was your recommendation of The Serpent Snapping Eye which turned me on to his music.

You know Alvin Lucier died a couple of days ago . . . ?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

some guy

Quote from: Mandryka on December 03, 2021, 09:41:01 AM

You know Alvin Lucier died a couple of days ago . . . ?
Yes. Very sad news.

I met him many years ago. 20 I'm guessing. He was sick at the time. But he pulled out another 20 years, so....

I understand the whole falling thing, how dangerous that can be. That's how I broke my back, by tripping on some steps. Brick steps, of course.

Glad you got hooked on Reynolds. I just recently listened through all my Reynolds discs (as sound files--I own no discs any more) and was very taken by how good it all was. Really lovely stuff.

Ganondorf

My best wishes to you, some guy! Sorry to hear about all that.

Symphonic Addict

Take care, the authentic some guy. My best wishes for you.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Iota

That sounds incredibly challenging, some guy, my sympathies. I admire your philosophical response.

I followed up the mention of Roger Reynolds and have been very taken by my first hearing of FLIGHT with the Jack Quartet, so thanks very much for that too.

Daverz

Sad news, I just read on RMCR that Michael Schaeffer (he was M Forever here) died back in November.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/oApPWHrBToE

Que

Spotted Horses

It's been so many years since M forever participated.

I searched for an M forever post using google and this is the first one it showed me:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=7873.80

Appropriate. Isn't the internet grand?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

What a sad news!... May God rest him in peace.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 11, 2021, 12:59:43 AM
It's been so many years since M forever participated.

I searched for an M forever post using google and this is the first one it showed me:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=7873.80

Appropriate. Isn't the internet grand?

Very appropriate indeed!  I saw about Michael's passing in a Facebook group I'm in. Those people apparently only knew him in a RCMR group he went to which was, of course, unmoderated. Over the years since we were forced to turn him out from here, I have read many posts about how he was cruelly treated here and is so missed. But we got literally hundreds of complaints and PM's about him which even the senders seem to have forgotten. Personally, I was quite upset to be put into the position of pulling the trigger on him, despite his total asshole personality, since he was one of the most knowledgeable members we had, and frankly, some of the things he said just needed to be said, and I wasn't in a position to say them myself. But I had dozens of private talks with him strictly about music, and I came away that much wiser for it.  So, there's today's moment of truth.  🧐

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 11, 2021, 06:04:57 AM
Very appropriate indeed!  I saw about Michael's passing in a Facebook group I'm in. Those people apparently only knew him in a RCMR group he went to which was, of course, unmoderated. Over the years since we were forced to turn him out from here, I have read many posts about how he was cruelly treated here and is so missed. But we got literally hundreds of complaints and PM's about him which even the senders seem to have forgotten. Personally, I was quite upset to be put into the position of pulling the trigger on him, despite his total asshole personality, since he was one of the most knowledgeable members we had, and frankly, some of the things he said just needed to be said, and I wasn't in a position to say them myself. But I had dozens of private talks with him strictly about music, and I came away that much wiser for it.  So, there's today's moment of truth.  🧐

🤠😎

What Gurn said.

An incredibly knowledgeable guy, but didn't suffer fools lightly (and when he was here, there were a few). Wish his abrasive persona could have been applied elsewhere, but yes, in terms of musical background and analysis, quite a force. Sad to see, too, that in recent years he had found a girlfriend, who might have mellowed him somewhat.

--Bruce

MusicTurner

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 11, 2021, 06:04:57 AM

🤠😎

Good, I think at least an explanation regarding that sample was needed, for those not knowing anything, like myself.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on December 10, 2021, 09:16:45 PM
Sad news, I just read on RMCR that Michael Schaeffer (he was M Forever here) died back in November.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/oApPWHrBToE

That is sad. We once had a cup of tea by my office (where the office was then) and ran into one another once or twice at the MFA, as the firm he worked for was working on the sound system in an auditorium.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot